on why the bible is a reliable resource

SteveB

Well, try this.
I volunteer in the community. I help people. I help addicts, and homeless, and people with severe mental health issues.
I help the local women's shelter whenever I can.
I jam with friends, who are all better musicians than I am.
I read a wide range of topics.
I live a full and happy life.
I enjoy my life.
I like to try to make the world a little better. Small things that help others.
I sail.
I am not the one dimensional caricature you have in mind when you think of an atheist. Nobody is.
Wow....

Thank you for your service to our fellow humans.

That does not however make you right with God himself.

There's the issue of sin that requires being dealt with.

Until then, you're still a dead man who will be condemned for your sin.

Tiburon

Wow....

Says who? Humans.

Mr Laurier

Wow....

You are easily impressed.

How 'bout, instead of thanking me for being a decent human being, you instead try doing the same. Its not hard to do.

Do I care about being right with God? No.
No more than I care about being right with Elf, Hobgoblin, or Unicorn.

There is no issue of "sin".

Empty threats? You want to kill me? Why? Why do you want to kill me?
What is my "sin", that you want to kill me for?

SteveB

Except the bible is purported to come from God.
yeah? And?
It's apparently not your regular town gossip sheet.
Nope. It's not.
It's supposed to be the story of the people of Israel.
Exactly---- OF Israel.
Not Greece. Not Iran. Not Armenia. Not Europe. Not Russia. Not China, Not Saudi Arabia, Not Yemen. Not Egypt.
Are you telling us that some of these major geopolitical goings on in the region had no impact on Israel?
Those that did, were included. Those that didn't have the impact that was of direct concern to God, and his plans, were not included.

That they weren't even noticed?
It's not about being noticed.... it's about that which would have an impact on God's plans.

SteveB

You are easily impressed.
It's not that hard when you've lived the life I have, and learned to become grateful to live beyond death's grasp.

How 'bout, instead of thanking me for being a decent human being, you instead try doing the same. Its not hard to do.
I already do. I simply don't need to tell others what I spend my life doing, because I'm learning to live my life following Jesus, and not the crowd.

Do I care about being right with God? No.
It's a pity. You'd find far greater meaning if you did.
No more than I care about being right with Elf, Hobgoblin, or Unicorn.
Sounds like someone who smokes whiskey.

There is no issue of "sin".
According to your megalomaniac comment, I'd say that your sin is pride.
Empty threats? You want to kill me? Why? Why do you want to kill me?
What is my "sin", that you want to kill me for?
Definitely a whiskey smoker.
Nope. Not interested in killing you. Just the opposite. I want to see you live in paradise with Jesus forever.
I do not want to see you suffer one picosecond of misery in hell, let alone and eternity in the lake of fire.

Mr Laurier

I do not want to see you suffer one picosecond of misery in hell, let alone and eternity in the lake of fire.
And yet you fantasize it.
The fact that I will never suffer one picosecond of ANYTHING in hell, let alone but eternity in your "lake of fire", should be your first clue

Mr Laurier

Nope. Not interested in killing you. Just the opposite. I want to see you live in paradise with Jesus forever.
And yet you threatened to kill me.
Your own words "Until then, you're still a dead man who will be condemned for your sin."
You said I am a "dead man". Thats a threat. Thats you openly expressing your desire and intent to kill me.
I have no desire to live in paradise, or Gondor, or Mose Eisley Spaceport. And certainly no desire to live forever.
That would be a nightmare.
And I also do not want to live with Jesus. Last time I checked, Jesus was supposed to be a man. I do not swing that way.

SteveB

And yet you threatened to kill me.
Nope. But a perfect example of you operating on confirmation bias, preconceived notions, and assumptions.

Your own words "Until then, you're still a dead man who will be condemned for your sin."
That is what Paul says in Ephesians 2:1---
We are dead in our sins and trespasses.
In John 3:18, Jesus said we're already condemned, and why we're condemned.
So...... seriously Mr L...... you're doing yourself a seriously grave disservice with those beliefs of yours.
You said I am a "dead man". Thats a threat. Thats you openly expressing your desire and intent to kill me.
Nope. It's a statement of fact. Why do you think that you are unaware of YHVH's existence?
You're spiritually dead in your sin and trespasses.

I have no desire to live in paradise, or Gondor, or Mose Eisley Spaceport. And certainly no desire to live forever.
That would be a nightmare.
Well, the live forever part isn't your choice. You were created in God's Likeness and Image, and part of that is to live forever. According to Romans 11:29, God does not take back gifts he's given.

Where you choose to live your forever is entirely up to you.
Heaven, which is paradise. Or.... the lake of fire.... which sounds like gondor, or mose eisley spaceport.

And I also do not want to live with Jesus. Last time I checked, Jesus was supposed to be a man. I do not swing that way.
So, another perfect example of presuppositional bias.
Jesus is not gay, and he IS God's Son.

Mr Laurier

Nope. It's a statement of fact. Why do you think that you are unaware of YHVH's existence?
You're spiritually dead in your sin and trespasses.
Except its not a statement of fact. Because I am not a lunatic.
Except that I am not in in any "sin" or "trespasses". And I am not "spiritually dead" either

Mr Laurier

Well, the live forever part isn't your choice. You were created in God's Likeness and Image, and part of that is to live forever. According to Romans 11:29, God does not take back gifts he's given.
Indeed. I will eventually die, just like everyone else. So you mean that I was not born to the woman that I consider to be my mother? Wow... And all this time I thought I was a real person.
Does Romans 11:29 have any evidence that God even exists?

Mr Laurier

Where you choose to live your forever is entirely up to you.
Heaven, which is paradise. Or.... the lake of fire.... which sounds like gondor, or mose eisley spaceport.
Ok. I choose The Shire. In Middle Earth.
I like hobbits.

Hypatia_Alexandria

I'd say it's because people who don't like the bible, don't understand the nature of paradoxes, and complex thought.
It appears they want easy, and are afraid of simple, so they need to conflate matters which are not conflateable.
I'm sure there's more to it than just those things, but I'd say you just need to slow down, and stop reading for the purpose of winning an argument--- which really is not winnable.
So answer my questions.
Who killed Goliath?
Who actually went to the tomb?
Which birth narrative has the correct time-line?
Why does the Almighty contradict himself?

Tiburon

yeah? And?

Nope. It's not.

Exactly---- OF Israel.
Not Greece. Not Iran. Not Armenia. Not Europe. Not Russia. Not China, Not Saudi Arabia, Not Yemen. Not Egypt.

Those that did, were included. Those that didn't have the impact that was of direct concern to God, and his plans, were not included.

It's not about being noticed.... it's about that which would have an impact on God's plans.
What kind of impact? Isn't everything part of God's plan?