One of many Mormon misinformation's

The Prophet

Magdalena

Six years ago, it’s probably gone up quite a bit since then. And there are a lot of other perks, like free college tuition for their kids.

Bonnie

That’s what they should call it, then. Then the Mormons would have no criticism.
Just like Trump calls his rallys “peaceful protests” ;)
you have a point, Theo. :) Same difference, eh? A distinction without any difference....

Last edited:

Bonnie

Six years ago, it’s probably gone up quite a bit since then. And there are a lot of other perks, like free college tuition for their kids.
That's true. I think I remember reading about other perks, like free cars and vacations, but not sure I am remembering correctly.

Bonnie

Interesting...we discussed some of this last year and earlier this year on the thread "Will the LDS Church lose its tax-free status?"

But the reason behind its secrecy is rather interesting, and dates back to the late 1800's, if this account is accurate.

Until the late 19th century, the Mormon church was generally forthright and open about its finances. It published most of its financial affairs and no one had any reason to question what it was doing, because it was mostly out there for everyone to see. And so, when the United States Congress decided to liquidate the Mormon church as a criminal enterprise during the finality of the polygamy persecutions, due to its failure to comply with the Edmunds-Tucker Act, it wasn't hard to identify the church's assets.

In the case of Late Corporation Of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints versus United States, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled it was legal and justified to extinguish the church corporation and seize its assets. And it wasn't hard for the federal government to do it. All the church's financial affairs were all hanging out. It was easy to find and seize everything the church owned - the Utah Territorial government was ordered by congress to do so, including all temples and wardhouses (which the Territory somehow never got around to actually seizing).
I note this in this article:

A YouTube video produced by the whistleblower went on to note that EPA had been the beneficiary of at least $20 billion in tax exemptions over the years, tax exemptions to which it was not entitled under the law, given its total lack of charitable activity. This sort of thing has not been uncommon - the church has co-mingled the receipts from its for-profit corporations so frequently and extensively with its legitimately tax exempt ecclesiastical operations, that its tax exempt status itself is now open to question under a reasonable interpretation of IRS rules.

Last edited:

The Prophet

Interesting...we discussed some of this last year and earlier this year on the thread "Will the LDS Church lose its tax-free status?"

But the reason behind its secrecy is rather interesting, and dates back to the late 1800's, if this account is accurate.

I note this in this article: