Only pray to God

mica

Again confusing pray for and to. Boy RCs love to play word games. Look this could be finished if you show which apostle prayed to Mary after she died. If not then you case is not existent.

There are many prayers recorded the apostles pray to God, the Lord. They do not pray to anyone else.

Paul prayed and taught us to pray:

Roms 15:20+

I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. Pray that I may be rescued from the unbelievers in Judea and that my service in Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints there, so that by God’s will I may come to you with joy and together with you be refreshed. The God of peace be with you all. Amen.

Also, our teacher Jesus taught us to pray it started our Father. Not our Father, Sarah, Moses etc. He is clear pray to the Father. Other places when he refers to prayer it is prayers to the Father.

John 17 records a prayer of Jesus:

“Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. 2 For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4 I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

Matt 6:9

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
they don't want it to be over. they love their idols instead of Him.

pilgrim

when do you ask them? when you see them at the grocery? gas station? parking lot? maybe send 'em an email or text? by phone?

there is no scriptural support for it. so don't keep claiming you believe in or follow HIS word. you don't.
Yes there is in Hebrews 12. They are in our presence along with God and the angels.

pilgrim

BELIEVERS are the church....I'm not the one strutting around proclaiming MY church to be THE church....that would be YOU....and you would be wrong....par for the course.
And we believe. Check out the Nicene creed.

pilgrim

BELIEVERS are the church....I'm not the one strutting around proclaiming MY church to be THE church....that would be YOU....and you would be wrong....par for the course.
That's because it is true. Check out quotes from Ignatius of Antioch from around 100AD.

Quotes from people in your particular sect would be far more recent.

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
That's because it is true.
It’s not even remotely true, yet Catholics have been hoodwinked into believing that nonsense….no different than all the cults that make the same claim.
Check out quotes from Ignatius of Antioch from around 100AD.
It won’t change what His church is.
I quote scripture, you quote man.

mica

4Him said:
That's because it is true. Check out quotes from Ignatius of Antioch from around 100AD.
he was't chosen to pen God's word, was he?

they'd quote scripture.

romishpopishorganist

1 Kings 8:38-39
whatever prayer...is made...then hear in heaven....for You alone know the hearts of all the sons of men (NASB)
God "alone" fully knows the hearts of all, so God "alone" is the proper recipient of prayer. Mary and any other "saint" is never to be addressed in prayer since they do not fully know the hearts of all.
Can you pray for people? Do you know the hearts of all?

Where does Scripture state that in order to pray for someone they must know the hearts of all?
Since latreuō is due unto God alone (Luke 4:8) and one of the ways Anna rendered latreuō is by her prayers (Luke 2:37) demonstrates that prayer is due unto God alone.
We do not pray "to" saints. Strictly speaking, we ask the saints to pray for us.

Mike McK

We ask the saints to pray for us, just like you ask other Christians to pray for you.
You know that's not true for several reasons.

First, you don't merely ask them to pray for you. You ascribe all sorts of supernatural powers to them and pray to them, asking them to use those powers for your benefit.

Second, the Christians we ask to pray for us are not dead.

Fred

We do not pray "to" saints, we ask the saints to pray for us.
Since prayer can be done in silence it goes far beyond talking to another (created) person in asking them to pray for you. Many prayers are "spoken" only in the heart. They are done in a vast number of different languages by myriads of people all at once.

romishpopishorganist

Since prayer can be done in silence it goes far beyond talking to another (created) person in asking them to pray for you. Many prayers are "spoken" only in the heart. They are done in a vast number of different languages by myriads of people all at once.
Correct; prayer is in the silence of one's heart.

That does not change anything. While we use in common parlance "We pray 'to' Saint X or Y" we are asking for their prayers. We also understand that any prayers granted is only through the will of God.

Please tell me: who better to pray for us than those who behold the face of God day and night?

Is there someone more suited to pray for us than those who look upon God as He is?

Fred

You are able to ask for their prayers in silence. Thus, by asking them you are praying to them.

Your questions ignore the fact that it takes the Heart-Knower of all to be the recipient of such communication/prayer (cf. 1 Kings 8:38-39).