Orange Bowl

#1 Nebraska Cornhuskers, 12-0-0
vs
#5 Miami Hurricanes, 10-1-0

4th Quarter
:56 seconds left on the clock

Miami leads 31-24

Nebraska faces 4th and 8 from the Miami 24 yard line

Quarterback Turner Gill, under Center, takes the snap and proceeds, to his right, down the line of scrimmage

Just as he comes into the grasp of a Miami defender, option wizard Gill deftly pitches the ball out to back-up I-back Jeff Smith, who had replaced injured Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier in the 2nd quarter, and Smith explodes down the sideline and into the endzone!

{Not only was Nebraska the only team in the country capable of picking up a 4th and 8 on an option play - Nebraska was the only team in the country that would ever have dreamed of calling an option play on a 4th and 8!}

Nebraska pulls within one point - 31 to 30

Kick the extra point {the closest thing to a sure thing in the game of football} and the game most likely ends in a 31-31 tie

In this case, #1 Nebraska, as the nation's only undefeated team, would have surely been crowned National Champion

However, to the credit of Head Coach Tom Osborne, there was never a moment's hesitation - there was no way in hell that he was going to back into a National Championship by settling for a tie

Instead, Nebraska lined up for a two point conversion and gambled the perfect season, Orange Bowl Championship and National Championship on a single play

The two point conversion failed - Nebraska came up short

Miami won the game and the National Championship

And thus, an evil empire was born...

As much as it pains me to say - the Huskers lost fair and square

What, though, if victory had been imputed to Nebraska like Christ imputes righteousness to Christians?

What if Nebraska had been awarded the two point conversion by proxy?

Look, I'm the biggest Nebraska football fan any of you will ever encounter, but even still - I, personally, would NEVER have chosen to accept - much less celebrate - a National Title in 1983!

We lost the game - fair and square

Inscribed upon the Southwest corner of Nebraska's Memorial Stadium is the following maxim:
"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory"

These words actually mean something!

I, personally, would NEVER choose to accept - much less celebrate - a National Championship that is not deserved!

I've no respect for a football team reaching the promised land if it's not deserved...
I've no respect for a football team reaching the promised land when it hasn't been earned on the field...

I trust that all of you feel the same

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

SteveB

I stopped watching football, baseball, and other sports games 4 years prior to that. So, I have no idea.
I suppose my question would be, why would you spend your time seeking to justify your beliefs on a game from 37 years ago?
There are a lot more recent events that are available to do so.

treeplanter

I stopped watching football, baseball, and other sports games 4 years prior to that. So, I have no idea.
I suppose my question would be, why would you spend your time seeking to justify your beliefs on a game from 37 years ago?
There are a lot more recent events that are available to do so.
The OP is not about football, Steve - much less a single football game played 37 years ago!
Please DO try reading for purposes of learning and understanding!!

The OP is about the biblical concept of imputation {specifically, righteousness imputed through Christ}

If a person
{and I trust that includes most every atheist and Christian alike}

is opposed to the idea of a football team being awarded game winning points by proxy and thus delivered unto the promised land of a National Championship that they did not earn...

THEN

why do Christians turn around and regard it as a positive to be embraced when Jesus grants unwarranted victory over sin and delivers unto His followers the promised land of an eternal life in Heaven that has not been earned?

Last edited:

Authentic Nouveau

Picture it

Miami, Florida

January 2, 1984

Orange Bowl

#1 Nebraska Cornhuskers, 12-0-0
vs
#5 Miami Hurricanes, 10-1-0

4th Quarter
:56 seconds left on the clock

Miami leads 31-24

Nebraska faces 4th and 8 from the Miami 24 yard line

Quarterback Turner Gill, under Center, takes the snap
and proceeds, to his right, down the line of scrimmage

Just as he comes into the grasp of a Miami defender, option wizard Gill deftly pitches the ball out to back-up I-back Jeff Smith, who had replaced injured Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier in the 2nd quarter, and Smith explodes down the sideline and into the endzone!

{Not only was Nebraska the only team in the country capable of picking up a 4th and 8 on an option play - Nebraska was the only team in the country that would ever have dreamed of calling an option play on a 4th and 8!}

Nebraska pulls within one point - 31 to 30

Kick the extra point {the closest thing to a sure thing in the game of football} and the game most likely ends in a 31-31 tie

In this case, #1 Nebraska, as the nation's only undefeated team, would have surely been crowned National Champion

However, to the credit of Head Coach Tom Osborne, there was never a moment's hesitation - there was no way in hell that he was going to back into a National Championship by settling for a tie

Instead, Nebraska lined up for a two point conversion and gambled the perfect season, Orange Bowl Championship and National Championship on a single play

The two point conversion failed - Nebraska came up short

Miami won the game and the National Championship

And thus, an evil empire was born...

As much as it pains me to say - the Huskers lost fair and square

What, though, if victory had been imputed to Nebraska like Christ imputes righteousness to Christians?

What if Nebraska had been awarded the two point conversion by proxy?

Look, I'm the biggest Nebraska football fan any of you will ever encounter, but even still - I, personally, would NEVER have chosen to accept - much less celebrate - a National Title in 1983!

We lost the game - fair and square

Inscribed upon the Southwest corner of Nebraska's Memorial Stadium is the following maxim:
"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory"

These words actually mean something!

I, personally, would NEVER choose to accept - much less celebrate - a National Championship that is not deserved!

I've no respect for a football team reaching the promised land if it's not deserved...
I've no respect for a football team reaching the promised land when it hasn't been earned on the field...

I trust that all of you feel the same

Am I wrong?
Football thread

Furion

I watch football sometimes. I remember that game I think. The one team scored a goal and the other hit a home run! Best game ever.

SteveB

The OP is not about football, Steve - much less a single football game played 37 years ago!
Please DO try reading for purposes of learning and understanding!!

The OP is about the biblical concept of imputation {specifically, righteousness imputed through Christ}

If a person
{and I trust that includes most every atheist and Christian alike}

is opposed to the idea of a football team being awarded game winning points by proxy and thus delivered unto the promised land of a National Championship that they did not earn...

THEN

why do Christians turn around and regard it as a positive to be embraced when Jesus grants unwarranted victory over sin and delivers unto His followers the promised land of an eternal life in Heaven that has not been earned?

Well,this is pretty simple.

Nobody ever said that you are being forced to receive the imputation of God's righteousness.

You're more than welcome to continue your journey through this life, calling him all forms of monstrously vile and hateful terms.
You'll continue to find yourself in your present state of condemnation, all while increasing God's wrath on your sin. And then when you die, separated from God for all eternity, you will be able to recognize the sheer folly of what you chose.

I for one would prefer you turn to God from your sin and place your trust in Jesus, so that you may enjoy being adopted by God and receiving his righteousness to your account. Totally freed from your sin, being made spiritually alive by God.

Nouveau

I for one would prefer you turn to God from your sin and place your trust in Jesus...
We can't do that just as you couldn't either... at least not without the evidence you claim you got, which we don't get when we do what you did.

Furion

We can't do that just as you couldn't either... at least not without the evidence you claim you got, which we don't get when we do what you did.
Do you think the reason some of you "don't get" is because of your defiant heart?

In that light, your claim no one else gets the evidence is a sour grape.

treeplanter

Yeah, like I'm sure Colorado really cares that I have no respect for what they did in 1980.
You mean 1990

*Even though this thread is NOT about football - since you brought it up, I cannot let the opportunity pass...

You are absolutely correct that sCUm did not deserve the 1990 national championship
In fact, the 1990 Buffs are the biggest joke in the history of the AP Poll

One of just five two blemish teams to ever have been awarded an AP, Coaches Poll, BCS, and/or CFP title
{only 5 two blemish titlists out of 92 total}

They were tied by Tennessee

Beaten by Illinois

Needed a highly controversial, blown call, last second, final play of the game TD to beat a crappy Stanford team

Needed a highly controversial, blown call, last second, final play of the game TD to beat an even crappier Missouri team
{and that's not even taking into consideration that it happened on 5th down!}

And then needed a highly controversial clipping penalty to wipe out a game winning punt return TD by the Irish in the final minute of the Orange Bowl game vs Notre Dame

Luckiest team ever
Worst national championship team ever

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, Stigs!

Last edited:

Furion

You mean 1990

*Even though this thread is NOT about football - since you brought it up, I cannot let the opportunity pass...
You are absolutely correct that sCUm did not deserve the 1990 national championship
In fact, the 1990 Buffs are the biggest joke in the history of the AP Poll

One of just five two blemish teams to ever have been awarded an AP, Coaches Poll, BCS, and/or CFP title
{only 5 two blemish titlists out of 92 total}

They were tied by Tennessee

Beaten by Illinois

Needed a highly controversial, blown call, last second, final play of the game TD to beat a crappy Stanford team

Needed a highly controversial, blown call, last second, final play of the game TD to beat an even crappier Missouri team
{and that's not even taking into consideration that it happened on 5th down!}

And then needed a highly controversial clipping penalty to wipe out a game winning punt return TD in the final minute of the Orange Bowl game vs Notre Dame

Luckiest team ever
Worst national championship team ever

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, Stigs
Even though you proclaim it is not about football, you sure do post a lot about football!

Maybe your post-creation-comprehension is as bad as whatevs.

treeplanter

How is this thread not about football?
Because the thread asks that you make a judgement call within the context of football, but then asks that this same judgement be applied to the imputation of righteousness

Are you good with football teams being awarded points and victories and championships that they did not score, secure, and earn for themselves?

Most of us, I presume, would say "NO"

Assuming that you are in the 'NO camp', why are you good with Jesus Christ imputing righteousness that has not been earned and is not deserved?

In each instance, we are talking about the same thing
Why, then, should you call it a bad thing in the 1st instance, but a good thing in the 2nd?