Ordo Salutis: Anointing

travelah

I think I sparked a bit of contention with a couple self anointed internet teachers on one of the other boards on CARM (imagine that!). The topic had to do with being 'anointed' with the mind of Christ before ever having faith in Christ. The notion strikes me as heterodox and certainly flies in the face of Paul's teaching in 2 Cor concerning the anointing as well as the OT teachings in Exe and Lev. The OT looked at anointing as a type of the Holy Spirit with the Holy Anointing Oil to never be applied to the stranger in Israel's midst. Paul brought this together with the anointing of the saints with the Holy Spirit which can only be received after that pesky old man of ours is buried in Christ through baptism via faith in Christ and His work.

I ask because at least one of the contentious seemed to me to be somewhat WOF. What is the consensus on this board? Anointed before being saved or after having faith in Christ?

Tallen

Ordo Salutis: Order of Salvation; the temporal order of salvation of the sinner.
Calling, regeneration, adoption, conversion, faith, justification, renovation, sanctification, and perseverance.

Not sure if an "anointing" would be fully associated with the order of salvation. I'm open for your thoughts. Are you associating an anointing with the full effective work of the Spirit upon the believer?

I doubt wof would have a developed understanding and theology to understand this without cherry picking ideas from out of context scriptures.

travelah

Ordo Salutis: Order of Salvation; the temporal order of salvation of the sinner.
Calling, regeneration, adoption, conversion, faith, justification, renovation, sanctification, and perseverance.

Not sure if an "anointing" would be fully associated with the order of salvation. I'm open for your thoughts. Are you associating an anointing with the full effective work of the Spirit upon the believer?

I doubt wof would have a developed understanding and theology to understand this without cherry picking ideas from out of context scriptures.
You are assuming a Calvinist order. I generally don't follow that order, as you know. The anointing I am speaking of would be the anointing of the saints with the Holy Spirit.

“Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, [is] God; Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.” (2Co 1:21-22 AV)

I would see this as a part of the 'salvation process', a significant and critical part of that process which has to fall somewhere in the ordering you hold to as well, sanctification perhaps.

I don't know where WOF would put this which is why I asked. Maybe it isn't relevant. There was so much Pablum and nonsense in what the contentious souls were advocating that I thought there might be a hint of Wof hiding in there somewhere.

Tallen

Yes, sanctification (cleaning the vessel making it holy), was what I thought. Regeneration (giving life) perhaps.
Giving grace and enabling a person.

Slyzr

I think I sparked a bit of contention with a couple self anointed internet teachers on one of the other boards on CARM (imagine that!). The topic had to do with being 'anointed' with the mind of Christ before ever having faith in Christ. The notion strikes me as heterodox and certainly flies in the face of Paul's teaching in 2 Cor concerning the anointing as well as the OT teachings in Exe and Lev. The OT looked at anointing as a type of the Holy Spirit with the Holy Anointing Oil to never be applied to the stranger in Israel's midst. Paul brought this together with the anointing of the saints with the Holy Spirit which can only be received after that pesky old man of ours is buried in Christ through baptism via faith in Christ and His work.

I ask because at least one of the contentious seemed to me to be somewhat WOF. What is the consensus on this board? Anointed before being saved or after having faith in Christ?

great question .......

Paul seemed like he might have been addressing this issue?

from google .....

1 Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is ...

Otherwise, your children would not be holy, but now they are holy. English Standard Version For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

bd

Last edited:

travelah

great question .......

from google .....

Otherwise, your children would not be holy, but now they are holy. English Standard Version For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

bd
Anointing with the Holy Spirit is not the same as sanctifying. Is this your Wof stance?

Tallen

great question .......

from google .....

bd
Perhaps you should define anointing before you cherry pick a verse to read into. wof, as I pointed out, likes to cherry pick out of context verses to read into... something it seems you are doing in this instance.

Slyzr

Anointing with the Holy Spirit is not the same as sanctifying. Is this your Wof stance?

Not necessarily

Jesus say's "another helper / comforter / advocate I will send you"? (depending on the translation)

Does that relate to what you were saying about the old man dying THEN .......

Maybe ......

bd

Last edited:

travelah

Not necessarily

Jesus say's "another helper / comforter / advocate I will send you"? (depending on the translation)

Does that relate to what you were saying about the old man dying THEN .......

Maybe ......

bd

Jesus was speaking of the anointing of Holy Spirit. Thanks for buttressing my point.

Slyzr

re-address .....

1 Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his believing wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

Paul was addressing an issue that many people had back in the day.

'What about our children ...... do they need to be saved'?/

It's a complicated issue ......

It seems like the historical orthodoxy answer was .... infant baptism. (selah)

The modern Pauline Evangelicals answer is much the same, "you must be born again"; concerning their own children.

Perpetual NOT living ......

Paul was NOT saying that is the answer.

bd

travelah

re-address .....

1 Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his believing wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

Paul was addressing an issue that many people had back in the day.

'What about our children ...... do they need to be saved'?/

It's a complicated issue ......

It seems like the historical orthodoxy answer was .... infant baptism. (selah)

The modern Pauline Evangelicals answer is much the same, "you must be born again"; concerning their own children.

Perpetual NOT living ......

Paul was NOT saying that is the answer.

bd

You have not shown that anointing and sanctification are the same here and NOBODY is discussing infant baptism.

Slyzr

You have not shown that anointing and sanctification are the same here and NOBODY is discussing infant baptism.

You have not shown that anointing and sanctification are the same here.

Of course .... not.

Never was trying to.

bd

Last edited: