Our Arminian and Calvinist forum

civic

I knew something sounded really fishy his church is 5 point Calvinist as all Christian Reformed Churches are in America. You would not be able to call your church Christian Reformed if that were not true.
Yep all those in that denomination are 5 point Calvinists . I was a member in the 80’s and the pastor was a good friend of mine.

civic

Yes, we should all censor ourselves from that which does not tickle our itching ears..... just like the Pharisees did........ right?

2 Timothy 4:3 <-- these people assuredly refer to their beliefs as "sound doctrine"
From CARM

So, what do you do when those to whom you are trying to witness refuse to listen; and after many attempts to reach them, they attack you, continue to misrepresent Christianity, and clearly refuse to learn from what you say and instead use mockery, disdain, and ridicule (Prov. 9:7; 23:9). What do you do when they return kindness with lies and truth with denial and then accuse you falsely when you ask them why? Does there come a time when you must give up on them? Unfortunately, the answer is yes. Jesus said in Matt. 7:6, “Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.” If those to whom you are sharing the faith demonstrate a refusal to receive the truth and instead turn on you, seeking to trample you underfoot, then it is time to reject them. Why? Because “to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled.” (Titus 1:15).

We do not seek to leave people to their own sins, but sometimes we must shake the dust from our shoes and move on (Matt. 10:14-15). Paul said in Phil. 3:2, “Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; . . .” Jesus told us to be wary of “the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.” (Matt. 7:15). In 2 Timothy, Paul warned to “be on guard against” a particular false teacher. The Psalmist said, “Depart from me, evildoers, that I may observe the commandments of my God.” (Psalm 119:115). We are told to “Reject a factious man after a first and second warning,” (Titus 3:10).

So, after you have exhausted the avenue of gentleness and patience and you are convinced they will not repent and will only continue to rebel against God and attack you, then it is time to obey the rest of scripture which warns us to not give pearls to swine (Matt. 7:6). They who exhibit the defilement of mind and conscience (Titus 1:15), who are evil workers (Phil. 3:2), ravenous wolves (Matt. 7:15), are to be rejected (Titus 3:10).

Such is the case when Scripture refers to the Pharisees as a brood of vipers (Matt. 3:7) and serpents (Matt. 23:33). Jesus called false prophets ravenous wolves (Matt. 7:15). He called the doubters a perverse generation (Matt. 17:17). Paul called people evil workers (Phil. 3:2) and said that some had foolish hearts (Rom. 1:21). We must remember the words of God through Paul concerning unbelievers who think lightly of God’s kindness and patience when he says that because of their stubbornness and unrepentant heart, they are storing up wrath for themselves on the Day of Judgment of God (Rom. 2:5).

Last edited:

Johnnybgood

From CARM

So, what do you do when those to whom you are trying to witness refuse to listen; and after many attempts to reach them, they attack you, continue to misrepresent Christianity, and clearly refuse to learn from what you say and instead use mockery, disdain, and ridicule (Prov. 9:7; 23:9). What do you do when they return kindness with lies and truth with denial and then accuse you falsely when you ask them why? Does there come a time when you must give up on them? Unfortunately, the answer is yes. Jesus said in Matt. 7:6, “Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.” If those to whom you are sharing the faith demonstrate a refusal to receive the truth and instead turn on you, seeking to trample you underfoot, then it is time to reject them. Why? Because “to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled.” (Titus 1:15).

We do not seek to leave people to their own sins, but sometimes we must shake the dust from our shoes and move on (Matt. 10:14-15). Paul said in Phil. 3:2, “Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; . . .” Jesus told us to be wary of “the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.” (Matt. 7:15). In 2 Timothy, Paul warned to “be on guard against” a particular false teacher. The Psalmist said, “Depart from me, evildoers, that I may observe the commandments of my God.” (Psalm 119:115). We are told to “Reject a factious man after a first and second warning,” (Titus 3:10).

So, after you have exhausted the avenue of gentleness and patience and you are convinced they will not repent and will only continue to rebel against God and attack you, then it is time to obey the rest of scripture which warns us to not give pearls to swine (Matt. 7:6). They who exhibit the defilement of mind and conscience (Titus 1:15), who are evil workers (Phil. 3:2), ravenous wolves (Matt. 7:15), are to be rejected (Titus 3:10).

Such is the case when Scripture refers to the Pharisees as a brood of vipers (Matt. 3:7) and serpents (Matt. 23:33). Jesus called false prophets ravenous wolves (Matt. 7:15). He called the doubters a perverse generation (Matt. 17:17). Paul called people evil workers (Phil. 3:2) and said that some had foolish hearts (Rom. 1:21). We must remember the words of God through Paul concerning unbelievers who think lightly of God’s kindness and patience when he says that because of their stubbornness and unrepentant heart, they are storing up wrath for themselves on the Day of Judgment of God (Rom. 2:5).
Yes that is what I was getting at @civic

civic

And the heretics never are able to suppose it is them.
The only heretics are the ones who reject the True Christ who is our Great God and Savior ( Titus 2:13, 2 Peter 1:1) for a false christ who is only a man ( unitarianism ) @Our Lord's God false religion and christ. Its as simple as that and you can take that fact to the Great White Throne Judgment when you stand before Him as the Lord God Almighty ( Rev 1:8) the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last and besides Him there is no other God. Revelations 1,22 and Isaiah 44.

hope this helps !!!

civic

I know what i believe and why, and i consider it part of being a Christian to defend the truth as I see it.
Defend you position against what JI Packer says below seth. This is the Biblical and Historical position of the church below.

Incarnation: God Sent His Son to Save Us

by J.I. Packer​

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. JOHN 1:14
Trinity and Incarnation belong together. The doctrine of the Trinity declares that the man Jesus is truly divine; that of the Incarnation declares that the divine Jesus is truly human. Together they proclaim the full reality of the Savior whom the New Testament sets forth, the Son who came from the Father’s side at the Father’s will to become the sinner’s substitute on the cross (Matt. 20:28; 26:36-46; John 1:29; 3:13-17; Rom. 5:8; 8:32; 2 Cor. 5:19-21; 8:9; Phil. 2:5-8).

The moment of truth regarding the doctrine of the Trinity came at the Council of Nicaea (A.D.325), when the church countered the Arian idea that Jesus was God’s first and noblest creature by affirming that he was of the same “substance” or “essence” (i.e., the same existing entity) as the Father. Thus there is one God, not two; the distinction between Father and Son is within the divine unity, and the Son is God in the same sense as the Father is. In saying that Son and Father are “of one substance,” and that the Son is “begotten” (echoing “only-begotten,” John 1:14, 18; 3:16, 18, and NIV text notes) but “not made,” the Nicene Creed unequivocally recognized the deity of the man from Galilee.

A crucial event for the church’s confession of the doctrine of the Incarnation came at the Council of Chalcedon (A.D.451), when the church countered both the Nestorian idea that Jesus was two personalities—the Son of God and a man—under one skin, and the Eutychian idea that Jesus’ divinity had swallowed up his humanity. Rejecting both, the council affirmed that Jesus is one divine-human person in two natures (i.e., with two sets of capacities for experience, expression, reaction, and action); and that the two natures are united in his personal being without mixture, confusion, separation, or division; and that each nature retained its own attributes. In other words, all the qualities and powers that are in us, as well as all the qualities and powers that are in God, were, are, and ever will be really and distinguishably present in the one person of the man from Galilee. Thus the Chalcedonian formula affirms the full humanity of the Lord from heaven in categorical terms.

The Incarnation, this mysterious miracle at the heart of historic Christianity, is central in the New Testament witness. That Jews should ever have come to such a belief is amazing. Eight of the nine New Testament writers, like Jesus’ original disciples, were Jews, drilled in the Jewish axiom that there is only one God and that no human is divine. They all teach, however, that Jesus is God’s Messiah, the Spirit-anointed son of David promised in the Old Testament (e.g., Isa. 11:1-5; Christos, “Christ,” is Greek for Messiah). They all present him in a threefold role as teacher, sin-bearer, and ruler—prophet, priest, and king. And in other words, they all insist that Jesus the Messiah should be personally worshiped and trusted—which is to say that he is God no less than he is man. Observe how the four most masterful New Testament theologians (John, Paul, the writer of Hebrews, and Peter) speak to this.

John’s Gospel frames its eyewitness narratives (John 1:14; 19:35; 21:24) with the declarations of its prologue (1:1-18): that Jesus is the eternal divine Logos (Word), agent of Creation and source of all life and light (vv. 1-5, 9), who through becoming “flesh” was revealed as Son of God and source of grace and truth, indeed as “God the only begotten” (vv. 14, 18; NIV text notes). The Gospel is punctuated with “I am” statements that have special significance because I am (Greek: ego eimi) was used to render God’s name in the Greek translation of Exodus 3:14; whenever John reports Jesus as saying ego eimi, a claim to deity is implicit. Examples of this are John 8:28, 58, and the seven declarations of his grace as (a) the Bread of Life, giving spiritual food (6:35, 48, 51); (b) the Light of the World, banishing darkness (8:12; 9:5); (c) the gate for the sheep, giving access to God (10:7, 9); (d) the Good Shepherd, protecting from peril (10:11, 14); (e) the Resurrection and Life, overcoming our death (11:25); (f) the Way, Truth, and Life, guiding to fellowship with the Father (14:6); (g) the true Vine, nurturing for fruitfulness (15:1, 5). Climactically, Thomas worships Jesus as “my Lord and my God” (20:28). Jesus then pronounces a blessing on all who share Thomas’s faith and John urges his readers to join their number (20:29-31).

Paul quotes from what seems to be a hymn that declares Jesus’ personal deity (Phil. 2:6); states that “in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form” (Col. 2:9; cf. 1:19); hails Jesus the Son as the Father’s image and as his agent in creating and upholding everything (Col. 1:15-17); declares him to be “Lord” (a title of kingship, with divine overtones), to whom one must pray for salvation according to the injunction to call on Yahweh in Joel 2:32 (Rom. 10:9-13); calls him “God over all” (Rom. 9:5) and “God and Savior” (Titus 2:13); and prays to him personally (2 Cor. 12:8-9), looking to him as a source of divine grace (2 Cor. 13:14). The testimony is explicit: faith in Jesus’ deity is basic to Paul’s theology and religion.

The writer to the Hebrews, purporting to expound the perfection of Christ’s high priesthood, starts by declaring the full deity and consequent unique dignity of the Son of God (Heb. 1:3, 6, 8-12), whose full humanity he then celebrates in chapter 2. The perfection, and indeed the very possibility, of the high priesthood that he describes Christ as fulfilling depends on the conjunction of an endless, unfailing divine life with a full human experience of temptation, pressure, and pain (Heb. 2:14-17; 4:14-5:2; 7:13-28; 12:2-3).

Not less significant is Peter’s use of Isaiah 8:12-13 (1 Pet. 3:14). He cites the Greek (Septuagint) version, urging the churches not to fear what others fear but to set apart the Lord as holy. But where the Septuagint text of Isaiah says, “Set apart the Lord himself,” Peter writes, “Set apart Christ as Lord” (1 Pet. 3:15). Peter would give the adoring fear due to the Almighty to Jesus of Nazareth, his Master and Lord.

The New Testament forbids worship of angels (Col. 2:18; Rev. 22:8-9) but commands worship of Jesus and focuses consistently on the divine-human Savior and Lord as the proper object of faith, hope, and love here and now. Religion that lacks these emphases is not Christianity. Let there be no mistake about that!

From: Concise Theology: A Guide To Historic Christian Beliefs

Related Resources
The Man Jesus Christ by Bruce Ware (.pdf)

Johnnybgood

Defend you position against what JI Packer says below seth. This is the Biblical and Historical position of the church below.

by J.I. Packer​

Trinity and Incarnation belong together. The doctrine of the Trinity declares that the man Jesus is truly divine; that of the Incarnation declares that the divine Jesus is truly human. Together they proclaim the full reality of the Savior whom the New Testament sets forth, the Son who came from the Father’s side at the Father’s will to become the sinner’s substitute on the cross (Matt. 20:28; 26:36-46; John 1:29; 3:13-17; Rom. 5:8; 8:32; 2 Cor. 5:19-21; 8:9; Phil. 2:5-8).

The moment of truth regarding the doctrine of the Trinity came at the Council of Nicaea (A.D.325), when the church countered the Arian idea that Jesus was God’s first and noblest creature by affirming that he was of the same “substance” or “essence” (i.e., the same existing entity) as the Father. Thus there is one God, not two; the distinction between Father and Son is within the divine unity, and the Son is God in the same sense as the Father is. In saying that Son and Father are “of one substance,” and that the Son is “begotten” (echoing “only-begotten,” John 1:14, 18; 3:16, 18, and NIV text notes) but “not made,” the Nicene Creed unequivocally recognized the deity of the man from Galilee.

A crucial event for the church’s confession of the doctrine of the Incarnation came at the Council of Chalcedon (A.D.451), when the church countered both the Nestorian idea that Jesus was two personalities—the Son of God and a man—under one skin, and the Eutychian idea that Jesus’ divinity had swallowed up his humanity. Rejecting both, the council affirmed that Jesus is one divine-human person in two natures (i.e., with two sets of capacities for experience, expression, reaction, and action); and that the two natures are united in his personal being without mixture, confusion, separation, or division; and that each nature retained its own attributes. In other words, all the qualities and powers that are in us, as well as all the qualities and powers that are in God, were, are, and ever will be really and distinguishably present in the one person of the man from Galilee. Thus the Chalcedonian formula affirms the full humanity of the Lord from heaven in categorical terms.

The Incarnation, this mysterious miracle at the heart of historic Christianity, is central in the New Testament witness. That Jews should ever have come to such a belief is amazing. Eight of the nine New Testament writers, like Jesus’ original disciples, were Jews, drilled in the Jewish axiom that there is only one God and that no human is divine. They all teach, however, that Jesus is God’s Messiah, the Spirit-anointed son of David promised in the Old Testament (e.g., Isa. 11:1-5; Christos, “Christ,” is Greek for Messiah). They all present him in a threefold role as teacher, sin-bearer, and ruler—prophet, priest, and king. And in other words, they all insist that Jesus the Messiah should be personally worshiped and trusted—which is to say that he is God no less than he is man. Observe how the four most masterful New Testament theologians (John, Paul, the writer of Hebrews, and Peter) speak to this.

John’s Gospel frames its eyewitness narratives (John 1:14; 19:35; 21:24) with the declarations of its prologue (1:1-18): that Jesus is the eternal divine Logos (Word), agent of Creation and source of all life and light (vv. 1-5, 9), who through becoming “flesh” was revealed as Son of God and source of grace and truth, indeed as “God the only begotten” (vv. 14, 18; NIV text notes). The Gospel is punctuated with “I am” statements that have special significance because I am (Greek: ego eimi) was used to render God’s name in the Greek translation of Exodus 3:14; whenever John reports Jesus as saying ego eimi, a claim to deity is implicit. Examples of this are John 8:28, 58, and the seven declarations of his grace as (a) the Bread of Life, giving spiritual food (6:35, 48, 51); (b) the Light of the World, banishing darkness (8:12; 9:5); (c) the gate for the sheep, giving access to God (10:7, 9); (d) the Good Shepherd, protecting from peril (10:11, 14); (e) the Resurrection and Life, overcoming our death (11:25); (f) the Way, Truth, and Life, guiding to fellowship with the Father (14:6); (g) the true Vine, nurturing for fruitfulness (15:1, 5). Climactically, Thomas worships Jesus as “my Lord and my God” (20:28). Jesus then pronounces a blessing on all who share Thomas’s faith and John urges his readers to join their number (20:29-31).

Paul quotes from what seems to be a hymn that declares Jesus’ personal deity (Phil. 2:6); states that “in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form” (Col. 2:9; cf. 1:19); hails Jesus the Son as the Father’s image and as his agent in creating and upholding everything (Col. 1:15-17); declares him to be “Lord” (a title of kingship, with divine overtones), to whom one must pray for salvation according to the injunction to call on Yahweh in Joel 2:32 (Rom. 10:9-13); calls him “God over all” (Rom. 9:5) and “God and Savior” (Titus 2:13); and prays to him personally (2 Cor. 12:8-9), looking to him as a source of divine grace (2 Cor. 13:14). The testimony is explicit: faith in Jesus’ deity is basic to Paul’s theology and religion.

The writer to the Hebrews, purporting to expound the perfection of Christ’s high priesthood, starts by declaring the full deity and consequent unique dignity of the Son of God (Heb. 1:3, 6, 8-12), whose full humanity he then celebrates in chapter 2. The perfection, and indeed the very possibility, of the high priesthood that he describes Christ as fulfilling depends on the conjunction of an endless, unfailing divine life with a full human experience of temptation, pressure, and pain (Heb. 2:14-17; 4:14-5:2; 7:13-28; 12:2-3).

Not less significant is Peter’s use of Isaiah 8:12-13 (1 Pet. 3:14). He cites the Greek (Septuagint) version, urging the churches not to fear what others fear but to set apart the Lord as holy. But where the Septuagint text of Isaiah says, “Set apart the Lord himself,” Peter writes, “Set apart Christ as Lord” (1 Pet. 3:15). Peter would give the adoring fear due to the Almighty to Jesus of Nazareth, his Master and Lord.

The New Testament forbids worship of angels (Col. 2:18; Rev. 22:8-9) but commands worship of Jesus and focuses consistently on the divine-human Savior and Lord as the proper object of faith, hope, and love here and now. Religion that lacks these emphases is not Christianity. Let there be no mistake about that!

Related Resources
This was very good thank you for posting it @civic

ReverendRV

by J.I. Packer​

Related Resources
I look at it as when I said all I needed was half a Verse to believe Infants who die in their Infancy can be Elect; why not believe a Good thing? There are many, many more Verses which teach Jesus is a Man, so let's believe it...

Dizerner

I was reading a few posts from some Arminian and Calvinist posters and I think it would be a good idea if all of us just start ignoring the ones who are as civic says heterodox.

We should rejoice at an opportunity to witness to the truth with anyone that will listen, and so I would never want to be cliquish.

If you don't like someone, there is an ignore function, and I've never even once used it.

If a person refuses to change or listen to what you feel is true, there is no law or rule you have to continue to interact with them:

10 Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition,
11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned. (Tit 3:10-11 NKJ)

Carbon

This is a great idea. Limit yourself to people who mostly agree with you then you can turn off your brain and stop listening to the things you have no answers for.
Seth, Johnny is limiting himself to people who are not proving to be genuine believers. Limiting is not giving it up all together, just not indulging. And why would he want to with people who deny many essential doctrines of the Christian faith?

I believe he is doing just fine. He, like we all should be, is learning and seeking truth.

I think you owe him an apology.

civic

Seth, Johnny is limiting himself to people who are not proving to be genuine believers. Limiting is not giving it up all together, just not indulging. And why would he want to with people who deny many essential doctrines of the Christian faith?

I believe he is doing just fine. He, like we all should be, is learning and seeking truth.

I think you own Johnny an apology.
Ditto

Johnnybgood

Thank you

Sethproton

by J.I. Packer​

Related Resources
If you want me to defend something, make a point and I will. You already know that I do not respond to cut and pastes

Sethproton

If it quacks like a duck...

civic

The CRCC beliefs

We believe that the Old and New Testaments are the inspired Word of God, the only infallible rule for faith and life.​

We affirm three creeds—the Apostles’ Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed—as ecumenical expressions of the Christian faith. We also affirm three confessions—the Belgic Confession, the Heidelberg Catechism, and the Canons of Dort—as historic Reformed expressions of the Christian faith, whose doctrines fully agree with the Word of God.
@sethptoton above is what your church believes . But you say they are not 5 point Calvinists tulip. Newsflash - yes they are like every single CRCC church.

Why did you make up they do not believe tulip ?