Paul's Testimony for Believing the Preaching of the Cross in 1 Corinthians 1:18 VS Water Baptism for Salvation

Hark

This is Paul's testimony when he deferred from water baptism to the believing of the preaching of the cross for how we are saved.

1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. 17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 8 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.....

Other scripture testify to this truth that it is by believing in Him is how we are saved, not by water baptism for there is that baptism of the Holy Ghost at our born again moment which is salvation in Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith...26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

The 2 verses often misapplied for water baptism for salvation are below;

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

We see in Acts 10 how the Gentiles were saved before water baptism. It is emphasized in Mark 16:16 that not believing is how they are damned. It is not inferring water baptism at all but the promise of the baptism with the forever indwelling Holy Spirit at our salvation when we first believe in Him.

1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: 22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Water is used for the washing away of the filth of the flesh, and so it is not referring to "water" baptism, but an answer of a good conscience before God by believing in Him is how that baptism as in that promise of the baptism with the Holy Ghost comes on the new believer.

It is an assumption to believe those verses are referring to water baptism and not the baptism of the Holy Ghost at our salvation as being born of the Spirit..

So those two contrary verses of Mark 16:16 & 1 Peter 4:21 are really misunderstood and thus misapplied. We are not in the process of being saved nor are we saved by water baptism when Paul testified the result for believing the preaching of the cross in regards to himself and other fellow believers as "are saved".

Hark

The problem with most modern Bibles is changing the testimony of Paul's and fellow believers' in 1 Corinthians 1:18 from "are saved' to "are being saved" when in context, Paul is testifying to what happens to those who believe the preaching of the cross to defer from water baptism as to when we are saved, and he referred to himself and fellow believers in the past tense for having believed in the preaching of the cross as "are saved'.

1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. 17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 8 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.....KJV

Check your Bible to see if it is the same as the KJV if you wish to correct someone that believes in error that they are in the process of being saved when Paul is testifying of himself and fellow believers as "are saved" for having believed the preaching of the cross in deferring from water baptism as if that is necessary for salvation when it is not.

Water baptism is an ordinance for new believers to follow as His disciples, but it is not a requirement for salvation when only believing in Him is. .

Slyzr

The problem with most modern Bibles is changing the testimony of Paul's and fellow believers' in 1 Corinthians 1:18 from "are saved' to "are being saved" when in context, Paul is testifying to what happens to those who believe the preaching of the cross to defer from water baptism as to when we are saved, and he referred to himself and fellow believers in the past tense for having believed in the preaching of the cross as "are saved'.

1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. 17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 8 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.....KJV

Check your Bible to see if it is the same as the KJV if you wish to correct someone that believes in error that they are in the process of being saved when Paul is testifying of himself and fellow believers as "are saved" for having believed the preaching of the cross in deferring from water baptism as if that is necessary for salvation when it is not.

Water baptism is an ordinance for new believers to follow as His disciples, but it is not a requirement for salvation when only believing in Him is. .

How is it that not living is life?

Hark

One can be water baptized and not be saved as in not receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit at their salvation yet, as the case of the Samaritans being delivered from unclean spirits when Philip was ministering. Being fans of Philip in following him around, believing in the "things" about the kingdom of heaven and the name of Jesus Christ, beholding the miracles seemingly coming from Philip, this, the fans were doing rather than coming to & believing in Jesus Christ for salvation.

Acts 8:5-17