Personal purposes for our participation here

Theo1689

Hello all,

A number of participants here have tried to force me to respond in certain ways, as if I was their "slave" or "puppet", and they can wield me around however they wish, and I have to blindly and obediently follow their every command. I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. I have one Lord, and His name is Jesus Christ. And He directs how I will respond, and nobody else.

Like I said, people ask me repeatedly why I'm here, if I don't do exactly as they "demand". Well, I'm not here for others to boss me around. And it's really none of anyone's business why I'm here anyway. I'm here because I choose to be here, and for no other reason. It seems that too many people think that if I don't answer all their questions to their satisfaction, then I shouldn't be here, and they try to "censor" me. I feel sorry for anyone who feels that they need to try to coerce people who disagree with them that they have to leave. That tells me that their theology is built on no substance.

I've elsewhere given my testimony of how I used to be a Calvinism-hating Arminian, and it was the Bible and the Holy Spirit that convinced me that the theology nicknamed "Calvinism" is true. It is such a WONDERFUL gospel, that glorifies God SO much, that it makes me zealous to share it with the whole world. That's one of the reasons I come to places like this.

Another reason I come to forums is to convince people from the Bible that God's theology nicknamed "Calvinism" is true. Everyone is better off when their theology is closer to God's truth. But as others of many different other faiths and theologies have discovered, it is very difficult to convince someone else that your beliefs are true. Most people of all sides dig their heels in and defend their current beliefs no matter what. Conversions do happen, and I've heard of a number of people converting from Arminianism to Calvinism, but it happens over a long period of time, and it usually comes in private, instead of in front of an audience where people have difficulty admitting that they were wrong.

One important reason that I'm still here is because I've over time learned that I must put it in the Holy Spirit's control over whether and when one is converted. One of the benefits of the gospel as I understand it is that I am under no obligation to convert someone, and in fact, I cannot do so. Only God can. So I leave it to proclaim the truth, regardless of whether anyone accepts it, and remain true to God. So my purpose here is less on trying to "convert" people, but more on trying to make sure that Calvinism is portrayed ACCURATELY. I don't care if someone rejects what Calvinism ACTUALLY teaches, but I take issue when critics are so insecure and know that they can't attack what Calvinism ACTUALLY teaches, so they have to MISREPRESENT Calvinism by arguing straw-man versions of it that we don't actually believe. And I'd give examples, but I know by experience that if I did so, critics would concentrate on those specific straw-man, derail my thread, and try to defend those straw-men. So one of the reasons I'm here is to CORRECT misrepresentations of Calvinism whenever they appear.

And sadly, there is precious little "discussion" here by critics of Calvinism, but instead all they do is try to repeat the same old arguments over and over again, without actually addressing responses to them, to try to make sure arguments critical of Calvinism are constantly going around, to try to brainwash any lurkers who may find their way here. So I've decided that my other purpose and goal here is to respond to such posts with Scripture evidence which TEACHES Calvinism, so that lurkers will see that Calvinism is Biblical, and wasn't simply made up by man. Sadly, it will result in a lot of posts of people "talking past each other", but Arminians aren't willing to do anything else, so at least Biblical support for Calvinism will be presented. And of course, we will expect all Biblical passages to be summarily dismissed with bogus claims of, "Those passages don't support Calvinism", but semi-unbiased readers will be free to make up their own minds.

So that's why I'm here...
1) To correct blatant and dishonest misrepresentations of Calvinism;
2) Present Biblical support for Calvinism, even if it is summarily dismissed without basis.

Let the lurker make up his own mind.
And be wary of any poster here who won't let you do that, but instead feels the need to "proclaim" that his view is the correct one.

JDS

2) Present Biblical support for Calvinism
Okay, lets begin with this one.

Doesn't Calvinism teach that salvation is by faith through grace? IOW, it is the grace of God that arrests the sinner, who you say is dead like Lazarus in the grave in John 11, without any cognitive ability to believe God, and that God regenerates him, that is, gives him something that is at least akin to life, so he can exercise faith to believe God?

I think I have that right. Any sharp witted 5th grader would understand that a man, who is dead and receives life from God without twitching a finger, has received grace, a gift, something he has not earned, so he can believe. But, isn't that exactly opposite from the declaration of the scriptures? The correct answer to this question is yes, absolutely.

Consider what is said here in this passage and as you read it please understand that I did not write it. I am only reporting what is said.

Rom 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, [was] not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
14 For if they which are of the law [be] heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, [there is] no transgression.
16 Therefore [it is] of faith, that [it might be] by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

I don't expect you to be reasonable about this but as you say, there are lurkers who will understand this. IOW, from this statement we learn that the promise is made but faith is the access to the receiving of the promise. Now, isn't this stated clearly in the same context? The answer to this question is yes, absolutely. Read this;

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

The scripture says "for by grace are ye saved through faith." IOW, the gift is the promise of salvation but one can only receive it by believing.

"believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved."

Calvinism states this exactly opposite than how the scriptures presents our salvation.

Theo1689

Okay, lets begin with this one.

Doesn't Calvinism teach that salvation is by faith through grace? IOW, it is the grace of God that arrests the sinner, who you say is dead like Lazarus in the grave in John 11, without any cognitive ability to believe God, and that God regenerates him, that is, gives him something that is at least akin to life, so he can exercise faith to believe God?

I think I have that right. Any sharp witted 5th grader would understand that a man, who is dead and receives life from God without twitching a finger, has received grace, a gift, something he has not earned, so he can believe. But, isn't that exactly opposite from the declaration of the scriptures? The correct answer to this question is yes, absolutely.

Consider what is said here in this passage and as you read it please understand that I did not write it. I am only reporting what is said.

Rom 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, [was] not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
14 For if they which are of the law [be] heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, [there is] no transgression.
16 Therefore [it is] of faith, that [it might be] by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

I don't expect you to be reasonable about this but as you say, there are lurkers who will understand this. IOW, from this statement we learn that the promise is made but faith is the access to the receiving of the promise. Now, isn't this stated clearly in the same context? The answer to this question is yes, absolutely. Read this;

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

The scripture says "for by grace are ye saved through faith." IOW, the gift is the promise of salvation but one can only receive it by believing.

"believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved."

Calvinism states this exactly opposite than how the scriptures presents our salvation.

Please stop trying to derail my threads.

If you want to present a message, start your OWN thread.

PeanutGallery

Hello all,

A number of participants here have tried to force me to respond in certain ways, as if I was their "slave" or "puppet", and they can wield me around however they wish, and I have to blindly and obediently follow their every command.
2) Present Biblical support for Calvinism, even if it is summarily dismissed without basis.

And be wary of any poster here who won't let you do that, but instead feels the need to "proclaim" that his view is the correct one.
That is totally inconsistent with Calvinism. Forcing, wielding, making up one's mind, correcting, dishonesty, dismissal are all meticulously decreed by God for his glory; neither you or participants can do no other.

Theo1689

That is totally inconsistent with Calvinism. Forcing, wielding, making up one's mind, correcting, dishonesty, dismissal are all meticulously decreed by God for his glory; neither you or participants can do no other.

I understand that you hate the fact that God is in total control and sovereign over His creation. But your comments had absolutely ZERO to do with anything in my OP.

Redeemed

Hello all,

A number of participants here have tried to force me to respond in certain ways, as if I was their "slave" or "puppet", and they can wield me around however they wish, and I have to blindly and obediently follow their every command. I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. I have one Lord, and His name is Jesus Christ. And He directs how I will respond, and nobody else.

Like I said, people ask me repeatedly why I'm here, if I don't do exactly as they "demand". Well, I'm not here for others to boss me around. And it's really none of anyone's business why I'm here anyway. I'm here because I choose to be here, and for no other reason. It seems that too many people think that if I don't answer all their questions to their satisfaction, then I shouldn't be here, and they try to "censor" me. I feel sorry for anyone who feels that they need to try to coerce people who disagree with them that they have to leave. That tells me that their theology is built on no substance.

I've elsewhere given my testimony of how I used to be a Calvinism-hating Arminian, and it was the Bible and the Holy Spirit that convinced me that the theology nicknamed "Calvinism" is true. It is such a WONDERFUL gospel, that glorifies God SO much, that it makes me zealous to share it with the whole world. That's one of the reasons I come to places like this.

Another reason I come to forums is to convince people from the Bible that God's theology nicknamed "Calvinism" is true. Everyone is better off when their theology is closer to God's truth. But as others of many different other faiths and theologies have discovered, it is very difficult to convince someone else that your beliefs are true. Most people of all sides dig their heels in and defend their current beliefs no matter what. Conversions do happen, and I've heard of a number of people converting from Arminianism to Calvinism, but it happens over a long period of time, and it usually comes in private, instead of in front of an audience where people have difficulty admitting that they were wrong.

One important reason that I'm still here is because I've over time learned that I must put it in the Holy Spirit's control over whether and when one is converted. One of the benefits of the gospel as I understand it is that I am under no obligation to convert someone, and in fact, I cannot do so. Only God can. So I leave it to proclaim the truth, regardless of whether anyone accepts it, and remain true to God. So my purpose here is less on trying to "convert" people, but more on trying to make sure that Calvinism is portrayed ACCURATELY. I don't care if someone rejects what Calvinism ACTUALLY teaches, but I take issue when critics are so insecure and know that they can't attack what Calvinism ACTUALLY teaches, so they have to MISREPRESENT Calvinism by arguing straw-man versions of it that we don't actually believe. And I'd give examples, but I know by experience that if I did so, critics would concentrate on those specific straw-man, derail my thread, and try to defend those straw-men. So one of the reasons I'm here is to CORRECT misrepresentations of Calvinism whenever they appear.

And sadly, there is precious little "discussion" here by critics of Calvinism, but instead all they do is try to repeat the same old arguments over and over again, without actually addressing responses to them, to try to make sure arguments critical of Calvinism are constantly going around, to try to brainwash any lurkers who may find their way here. So I've decided that my other purpose and goal here is to respond to such posts with Scripture evidence which TEACHES Calvinism, so that lurkers will see that Calvinism is Biblical, and wasn't simply made up by man. Sadly, it will result in a lot of posts of people "talking past each other", but Arminians aren't willing to do anything else, so at least Biblical support for Calvinism will be presented. And of course, we will expect all Biblical passages to be summarily dismissed with bogus claims of, "Those passages don't support Calvinism", but semi-unbiased readers will be free to make up their own minds.

Sounds good to me, I'm praying you do an excellent job. I know there's quite a few of us on here that appreciate your labor of love. I'm also hoping you have a good time while you're doing it. That last sentence in your post is very good advice I'm definitely going to follow it.

PeanutGallery

I understand that you hate the fact that God is in total control and sovereign over His creation. But your comments had absolutely ZERO to do with anything in my OP.
According to "Calvinism", God is in total control and sovereign over my comments, all to his glory', as is your 'ZERO' comment; that is simply the logical conclusion.