Peter never went to Rome

Arch Stanton

vs 28 So when I have completed this and safely handed over this contribution to them, I shall set out by way of you to Spain;

Arch Stanton

Jerome

"[Pope] Stephen . . . was the blessed Peter’s twenty-second successor in the See of Rome" (Against the Luciferians 23 [A.D. 383]).

"Clement, of whom the apostle Paul writing to the Philippians says ‘With Clement and others of my fellow-workers whose names are written in the book of life,’ the fourth bishop of Rome after Peter, if indeed the second was Linus and the third Anacletus, although most of the Latins think that Clement was second after the apostle" (Lives of Illustrious Men 15 [A.D. 396]).

Arch Stanton

He was hindered by preaching in the East. Don't you think Paul would have mentioned Peter in that verse?
absolutely not.... when the leader of the church is mentioned in that particular city, what happens? Look at the first 20 or so popes for results.... [martyrs]

Septextura

The text doesn't say; Rom 1:13. But its either the Holy Spirit or satan.

Are you sure it wasn't pope Pietro? That dude had some serious 'clout' I hear.

screen-shot-2017-01-22-at-9-21-04-pm.png

Septextura

Pretty important guy!

Acts 12:5 Peter thus was being kept in prison, but PRAYER BY THE CHURCH was fervently being made to God on his behalf.

Yeah, it wasn't a good idea Paul calling him out for hypocrisy in Galatians 2:11-14. No wonder Paul got stoned and thrown to jail. He was lucky the pope didn't declare him anathema.

Arch Stanton

Yeah, it wasn't a good idea Paul calling him out for hypocrisy in Galatians 2:11-14. No wonder Paul got stoned and thrown to jail. He was lucky the pope didn't declare him anathema.
I would rather the 'eating situation' instead of what Timothy had to go through :cry:

e v e

Yes, that verse alone disproves any claim Peter founded the church in Rome.
its a known fact based on letters, and other preserved documents, which I have read, that Rome broke away, not the inverse. What I have come to see is that protestantism is an offshoot of Rome. It accepted all of the Roman councils and books and canons and what it did change was based on an already poor foundation. The protestant reformation failed, focusing on the wrong points.

e v e

luckily we can Paul, who understood so very much what Christ desires.

Septextura

its a known fact based on letters, and other preserved documents, which I have read, that Rome broke away, not the inverse. What I have come to see is that protestantism is an offshoot of Rome. It accepted all of the Roman councils and books and canons and what it did change was based on an already poor foundation. The protestant reformation failed, focusing on the wrong points.

What is your religious denomination and what should Rome/Protestantism improve?