Philippians 2:12-13... What does it mean?

Sketo

Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything. - 2 Timothy 2:7

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed,
so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence,
work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,
for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. - Philippians 2:12-13

1) What is meant by “work out your own salvation”?

2) What is meant by “for”?

3) What is meant by “it is God who works in you”?

4) What is meant by “both”?

5) What is meant by “will and work”?

6) What is meant by “for his good pleasure”?

TibiasDad

You tell me! Are you unsure of your understanding?

Doug

PeanutGallery

Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything. - 2 Timothy 2:7

for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. - Philippians 2:12-13

God graciously works in the lives of the faithful saints in Christ through their obedience.

Php 2:14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

Sketo

God graciously works in the lives of the faithful saints in Christ through their obedience.
Are you able to be more specific to the questions?
For your convenience...

Php 2:14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
Is this your answer for #5?

TibiasDad

That's a belittling and taunting response to the author of this thread. Totally uncalled for.

I've been around the block to many times to fall for that one. When one does nothing but ask questions, without stating the purpose of the questions, there is usually a trap being set, or some other less than transparent motive. That is not an accusation, nor do I have any reason to personally distrust Sketo, but I don't know why he's asking the question or what he thinks the meaning of Phil 2:12-13 is.

The verse is pretty self explanatory, and there is nothing controversial about the meanings of the words/phrases for which he's asking definitions, so what is his purpose in his query? Why should I say what I think when I don't know what he thinks?

Doug

preacher4truth

I've been around the block to many times to fall for that one. When one does nothing but ask questions, without stating the purpose of the questions, there is usually a trap being set, or some other less than transparent motive. That is not an accusation, nor do I have any reason to personally distrust Sketo, but I don't know why he's asking the question or what he thinks the meaning of Phil 2:12-13 is.

The verse is pretty self explanatory, and there is nothing controversial about the meanings of the words/phrases for which he's asking definitions, so what is his purpose in his query? Why should I say what I think when I don't know what he thinks?

Doug
You mean you're too hardened to accept the fact you're malicious and you're capable of arguing yourself out of culpability.

Got it.

TibiasDad

You mean you're too hardened to accept the fact you're malicious and you're capable of arguing yourself out of culpability.

Got it.

Rom 14:4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

You apparently have the ability to discern my motives, and have assumed the authority to call me on the carpet. I don't believe any of us have that capacity or right. Again, I have nothing against Sketo, I just want to know where his questions are coming from. By the way, he didn't seem to have any problem with my initial response.

Nuff said,

Doug

Sketo

What then is your current understanding regarding the meanings of these words?

Doug
My intention was to not answer my own questions, otherwise I would have in the OP. I’m allowing the verse to speak for its self. If a comment to the OP is made I will agree or question. I don’t intend to force an interpretation!
Let’s just assume I need help with all of it.

ziapueblo

Because of Christ's sacrifice, we are to take hold of what God offers, accepting His grace and working towards becoming mature in Christ. We are asked to pick up our cross daily. Salvation is not a one time occurrence. Note the cooperation: we work out our own salvation (v. 12) while it is God who works in us to do His will (v. 13).

Sketo

Because of Christ's sacrifice, we are to take hold of what God offers, accepting His grace and working towards becoming mature in Christ. We are asked to pick up our cross daily. Salvation is not a one time occurrence. Note the cooperation: we work out our own salvation (v. 12) while it is God who works in us to do His will (v. 13).
Can you be more specific to the 6 questions?

TibiasDad

My intention was to not answer my own questions, otherwise I would have in the OP. I’m allowing the verse to speak for its self. If a comment to the OP is made I will agree or question. I don’t intend to force an interpretation!
Let’s just assume I need help with all of it.

Good enough, then I will choose to not answer it either.

Doug

zerinus

Those two verses appear to be self-contradictory. They appear to be making two opposing statements. In the first one, it is telling you to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling”. That makes it sound as though your salvation depends entirely on you. It depends entirely on your own efforts. In the next verse, it makes the opposite statement. It makes it sound as though your salvation depends entirely on God, and there is nothing you can do to change that. That is what makes the writings of Paul so “hard to be understood” (2 Peter 3:16). Now there are three possible ways of interpreting that scripture. One way would be to ignore the first verse, and stick only to the second one, and conclude that salvation is all God’s work, and there is nothing that anyone can do to contribute to his own salvation. That would be the Calvinistic interpretation. Another way would be to do the opposite, to ignore the second verse, and stick only to the first one, and say your salvation depends entirely on your own efforts. That would be the Pharisaic interpretation. A third option would be to do neither, but to try to harmonize the two verses so that they complement each other, rather than appear to be self-contradictory. Was it Paul’s intent to make a self-contradictory statement? Was he deliberately trying to contradict himself? I don't think so. If so, then the burden is on us to try and fathom what he is getting at, so that his statement does not appear self-contradictory. I believe the correct interpretation is to work as if everything depends on you, but at the same time put your faith and trust in the Lord as if everything depends on him. That I believe is what Paul is trying to say. It is not either/or. It is not either one or the other. It is both together combined. You work as if everything depends on you, but at the same time trust God as if everything depends on him.

preacher4truth

Rom 14:4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

You apparently have the ability to discern my motives, and have assumed the authority to call me on the carpet. I don't believe any of us have that capacity or right. Again, I have nothing against Sketo, I just want to know where his questions are coming from. By the way, he didn't seem to have any problem with my initial response.

Nuff said,

Doug
Brother I'm sure you're a nice person off site. Forums can bring out the ugly side of us. I'm sure you agree.

Have a good day sir!

brightfame52

Nuff said,

Doug
Why dont you just answer them and discuss them with him ?

brightfame52

zerinous

Those two verses appear to be self-contradictory. They appear to be making two opposing statements. In the first one, it is telling you to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling”. That makes it sound as though your salvation depends entirely on you. It depends entirely on your own efforts.

Does work out your own salvation sound anything like work for your own salvation ?