Philippians 2:7 Specifically ἑαυτὸν

John Milton

Lol! I'll repeat it word for word:

All things were made through the personal agency of the Word, and so apart from him nothing was made through the personal agency of anyone else.

But the life that was the light of men was made in him and the darkness has not overtaken it.

The asyndeton provides a contrast between the two statements.
Then you aren't talking about asyndeton. Because what you have written here has no parallel in the Greek text.

"LOL."
"Hahaha."
:p
Or whatever other drivel you would write in place of actual substance. Your argument just took two to the head, and you're too busy proving you have no idea what you are talking about.

John Milton

I don't see you punching back, that is, don't see a real counter argument.

So here is a question: Would you agree that ὃ γέγονεν with verse 4 negates the notion that Jesus is God ?
Not punching back. I've literally written a handbook about why you two are wrong?!
Never called you that. You seem to be sensitive about it though.
You aren't clever enough to hide behind semantics; we both know what you meant.

The Real John Milton

Lol! I'll repeat it word for word:

All things were made through the personal agency of the Word, and so apart from him nothing was made through the personal agency of anyone else.

But the life that was the light of men was made in him and the darkness has not overtaken it.

The asyndeton provides a contrast between the two statements.

Yikes, that's a non-starter "translation" for verse 4 :

ὃ γέγονεν ἐν αὐτῷ ζωὴ ἦν, καὶ ἡ ζωὴ ἦν τὸ φῶς τῶν ἀνθρώπων.

For starters where did you get the word "made" from ?

John Milton

I've witnessed a miracle! RJM got something right! In all seriousness, RJM, congratulations!

The Real John Milton

Not punching back. I've literally written a handbook about why you two are wrong?!

You aren't clever enough to hide behind semantics; we both know what you meant.
Would you agree that ὃ γέγονεν with verse 4 negates the notion that Jesus is God ?

Did you miss this question, or are you ignoring it ?

Roger Thornhill

BDAG doesn't say anything one way or the other about how the alternative should be weighted. That is your eisgesis.

I meant to put a period there. That was a typo. Good catch.

You are speaking with a forked tongue. You didn't address that. Anyone reading the drivel you've written knows you didn't address that. You said we should look at what was actually written, and what the authors actually wrote was the version you deemed the inferior alternative and they made this clear by specifying that they meant John 1:4a. You impaled yourself while running away from the gallows.

I was quoting you, genius.
Then you aren't talking about asyndeton. Because what you have written here has no parallel in the Greek text.

"LOL."
"Hahaha."
:p
Or whatever other drivel you would write in place of actual substance. Your argument just took two to the head, and you're too busy proving you have no idea what you are talking about.
Asyndeton are clauses that are not linked with a conjunction like και or δε.

These are the two.

(NA28) 3 πάντα διʼ αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο, καὶ χωρὶς αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο ⸂οὐδὲ :ἕν⸃.

ὃ γέγονεν 4 ἐν αὐτῷ ζωὴ ⸀ἦν, καὶ ἡ ζωὴ ἦν τὸ φῶς ⸋τῶν ἀνθρώπων⸌·

The second clause can be contrasted with the first due to asyndeton.

John Milton

Asyndeton are clauses that are not linked with a conjunction like και or δε.

These are the two.

(NA28) 3 πάντα διʼ αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο, καὶ χωρὶς αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο ⸂οὐδὲ :ἕν⸃.

ὃ γέγονεν 4 ἐν αὐτῷ ζωὴ ⸀ἦν, καὶ ἡ ζωὴ ἦν τὸ φῶς ⸋τῶν ἀνθρώπων⸌·

The second clause can be contrasted with the first due to asyndeton.
Nope. There is no contrast there.

Roger Thornhill

I got it from BDAG in the entry for γίνομαι.

2. to come into existence, be made, be created, be manufactured, be performed ... a. gener. ὃ γέγονεν J 1:3c

Roger Thornhill

Seriously, guy, just look at the new sentences in John's gospel. He is really sparing with connectives anyway. According to your punctuation, there is a direct continuation of what he just said, not a contrast. Are you really that oblivious?
Smyth gives this for asyndeton

d. Sets forth a contrast in thought to the preceding. This is commoner in poetry than in prose.

I consider the prologue to have originally been a hymn.

The Real John Milton

No. Verse one says he was. John 20:28 says he was. Many scriptures that have him personally doing things that only God can do, things which are only ascribed to God, says he was, etc, etc.
So even if the text says life came into existence in the Logos, you would still continue thinking that Logos is God ? How are you any different that the Trump supporters who continue to believe the "Big Lie" that he won the election ?

The "Big Lie" of lost humanity on the other hand is that Jesus is God.

John Milton

So even if the text says life came into existence in the Logos, you would still continue thinking that Logos is God ? How are you any different that the Trump supporters who continue to believe the "Big Lie" that he won the election ?

The "Big Lie" of lost humanity on the other hand is that Jesus is God.
So even though the text says plainly that the word was God, you continue to think John lied or was confused? How are you any different from those Biden supporters who think that Israel was to blame for the rockets fired at them?