Poll for Everyone - Obviousness of Various Statements on God

Torin

Which of the following statements, if any, do you agree with?

1. God exists, and this is utterly obvious.
2. There is evidence supporting the claim that God exists, and this is utterly obvious.
3. God does not exist, and this is utterly obvious.
4. There is no evidence supporting the claim that God exists, and this is utterly obvious.

Thanks for your responses!

Whatsisface

2. There is evidence supporting the claim that God exists, and this is utterly obvious.
4. There is no evidence supporting the claim that God exists, and this is utterly obvious.

I can't agree with any because of the word utterly.

Tiburon

How about "A God may exist but it's not at all obvious"?

PeanutGallery

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Gus Bovona

My edits:
2. There is sufficient evidence . . . .
4. There is not enough evidence . . . .
/pedantry

Disagree

Agree there is 'evidence' for every god man has worshipped like ancient texts, personal testimony, and eyewitness accounts. Disagree that there is empirical, testable evidence for any god.

Disagree. I know of no way to prove empirically that something does not exist outside of our reality.

Disagree. There is no empirical evidence supporting the claim yet. However, we cannot say there is no evidence - we may find it today.

:)

Michael R2

As asked, with the 'utterly obvious' qualification, I would have to disagree with all four.

Torin

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
So to be clear, you agree with statement 1?

Torin

My edits:
2. There is sufficient evidence . . . .
4. There is not enough evidence . . . .
/pedantry
Thanks, I guess I could have worded those better.

If the statements were re-worded as you suggest, would you agree with either of them?

Ficciones

None. "Utter obviousness" is utterly suspicious. One's intuitions can turn out to be confirmed once examined, but they ought not to go unexamined.

Gus Bovona

I'd go #4 without the "utterly obvious." It's gratuitous in the non-pejorative sense - it's just unnecessary. Once you have the standard of sufficient evidence, you don't need obviousness.

PeanutGallery

So to be clear, you agree with statement 1?
I agree with Rom 1:20; not sure if statement 1 agrees with Rom 1:20

Mr Laurier

I agree with Rom 1:20; not sure if statement 1 agrees with Rom 1:20

You agree with an internal self contradiction?

If something is invisible, it is by definition NOT clearly seen.

Authentic Nouveau

You agree with an internal self contradiction?

If something is invisible, it is by definition NOT clearly seen.
You disagree with the Bible. You were never born again.

Jesus is watching you.
John 3

3 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.