Pope Francis apologies to indigenous people in Canada for forced assimilation

I am sorry about your wife. I hope her siblings get restitution.
They did get a small restitution when this all came to a head a few decades ago. My sisters friends mother had attended one of the schools at the time.
The government paid her mother 6000 at that time.
Not enough IMO.
Unfortunately she died just before it was paid out.
Her 3 children got it instead.

They did get a small restitution when this all came to a head a few decades ago. My sisters friends mother had attended one of the schools at the time.
The government paid her mother 6000 at that time.
Not enough IMO.
Unfortunately she died just before it was paid out.
Her 3 children got it instead.
I am glad her children at least benefited. But I agree that wasn't enough. But then, how can one put a price tag on what was done to those poor kids?

One can preach and teach the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, without making indigenous people give up everything that makes them who and what they are. Their pagan beliefs and trappings--yes. But not all of what makes them a people, trying to turn them into European white people. I remember seeing a Youtube years ago of a Native American who had once been a Mormon, who had become a true Christian. I think he is dead now. But to show his love and gratitude he donned his native costume with all the trappings and did a native "dance" in honor of Jesus Christ. He adapted the moves he had learned as a child and dedicated them to Jesus Christ as a sort of thankoffering. It was sweet to watch.

Back