Potential internet problems. Digital certificate expire Sept 30th

The Pixie

This is kind of a public service announcement just in case you wake up on Oct 1st and have internet problems.

Internet connectivity for old devices within your home could be coming to an end on Thursday.

A digital certificate that was widely used in electronic devices prior to 2017 will expire on September 30.

It’s estimated that millions of gadgets worldwide will be affected and won’t be able to install updates of newer digital certificates to allow for continued connectivity to the internet.

Devices that could run into trouble include older MacBooks and iPhones that haven’t (or can’t) be updated with the latest software, some gaming consoles like PlayStation 3 and Nintendo 3DS as well as smart TVs, set-top boxes and IoT devices within your home

Continue to article.
Did anyone actually have the problems described above? I am typing this on a computer that dates from 2016, and my router is older than that, but I had no problems.

Can we chalk this up to yet another failed prediction of the doom mongers?

CrowCross

Did anyone actually have the problems described above? I am typing this on a computer that dates from 2016, and my router is older than that, but I had no problems.

Can we chalk this up to yet another failed prediction of the doom mongers?
You're ignorance of the topic is amazing....As of Oct 1st when I go to fox news on one of my computers I get ? where the pictures should be. On another computer bought in the spring the picturs load. But as I said, you're ignorance of the topic is amazing

The Pixie

You're ignorance of the topic is amazing....As of Oct 1st when I go to fox news on one of my computers I get ? where the pictures should be. On another computer bought in the spring the picturs load. But as I said, you're ignorance of the topic is amazing
So not quite the apocalypse you were suggesting.

"It’s estimated that millions of gadgets worldwide will be affected and won’t be able to install updates of newer digital certificates to allow for continued connectivity to the internet."

Do you have a gadget that no longer connects to the internet and cannot be updated? Does not sound like it, because you could get to the Fox site.

Now I freely admit to being ignorant of this topic - I never suggested I know any more than the fact that my computer and router are old enough to be affects and yet they seemingly were not. However, I am now adding to that the fact that your device is old too, and that could still connect to the internet.

So again: Did anyone actually have the problems described above?

And by "problems described above", I mean failing to connect to the internet at all, which is what your original prediction claimed.

CrowCross

So not quite the apocalypse you were suggesting.

"It’s estimated that millions of gadgets worldwide will be affected and won’t be able to install updates of newer digital certificates to allow for continued connectivity to the internet."

Do you have a gadget that no longer connects to the internet and cannot be updated? Does not sound like it, because you could get to the Fox site.

Now I freely admit to being ignorant of this topic - I never suggested I know any more than the fact that my computer and router are old enough to be affects and yet they seemingly were not. However, I am now adding to that the fact that your device is old too, and that could still connect to the internet.

So again: Did anyone actually have the problems described above?

And by "problems described above", I mean failing to connect to the internet at all, which is what your original prediction claimed.
Dude, I wasn't suggesting anything...you seem to want to make an issue on this...I was simply warning the CARM members of the potential for issues. You acted as if I was presenting a world wide meltdown.

Basically, if you have issues develope around Oct 1st...this might be your issue. Nothing more, nothing less.

CrowCross

Ahem:

"it is amazing, it seems as if big tech is forcing you to upgrade when your computer is just fine"

Yeah, you were suggesting patently ignorant stuff. You squawked when you were called on it, too.
I can no longer connect with my local paper....this happened Oct 1st.

My operating system is showing it's age...I no longer can upgrade to the latest browser and because of that and the changes can no longer handshake and verify their latest certificate....now, stop being so ignorant and trying to force everything into some RW conspiracty theory.

In fact I started the thread to help people such as you just in case you run into the same problem. You as you typically do...rejected it.

praise_yeshua

My operating system is showing it's age...I no longer can upgrade to the latest browser and because of that and the changes can no longer handshake and verify their latest certificate....now, stop being so ignorant and trying to force everything into some RW conspiracty theory.

In fact I started the thread to help people such as you just in case you run into the same problem. You as you typically do...rejected it.

It has been a significant problem for many people who use Let's Encrypt. Deleting and regenerating the SSL cert should update the website with the correct root certificate path now.

Run Linux. There are tons of very good Linux distributions that are stable, free and run on older hardware. Linux Mint is probably the best. Kali recently had an update that made it much better. You can even get into some ethical penetration testing.

Whateverman

My operating system is showing it's age...I no longer can upgrade to the latest browser and because of that and the changes can no longer handshake and verify their latest certificate....
Sounds about right.

now, stop being so ignorant and trying to force everything into some RW conspiracty theory.
You were the ignorant one. I educated you as to what a certificate is. You may even have gone online and actually doe some valid "research" yourself. And now you are less ignorant than you were. Congrats! You almost behaved like an adult!

Until you accused me to turning your own words into a conspiracy - which is what YOU advocated. Ahem:

"it is amazing, it seems as if big tech is forcing you to upgrade when your computer is just fine"​

Keep making mistakes and spreading conspiracies, and I'll keep being interested enough to correct them.