Prayer for the lost

Chain salesman.
True Christians love their enslavement to Christ, but you're a Gnostic.
Let see, so according to some, Jesus died to bring into bondage!!!!
You're clueless. :)
Seriously, can't stand such theology.
Because you hate the truth. :)
No greater love has another then to die for their friends, that they might then be put in chains.
Lovely twist on Scripture. Only a carnal mind would come up with that. Being a bondslave to Christ is freedom, John 8:31-38. In many places throughout the NT being a bondslave to Christ is gloried in.
Sheeesh .......
That's actually a slur on the name Jesus.

"May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains," 2 Timothy 1:6.

Many other passages Paul refers to himself as a bondslave to Christ. You show that you believe freedom is your self-will.

Romans 6 is for believers who have become bondslaves of righteousness, and bondslaves to Christ. "Chains."

I say this for the believers sake on this site.

That's the common false accusation.

Do you consider yourself a bondslave of Christ?

That's what happens, either be a bondslave of sin and Satan, or be a bondslave of Christ and righteousness, read Romans 6. This probably has a lot to do with "you are not your own, you were BOUGHT with a price;" note 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. It probably also has a lot to do with Psalm 23:2 wherein He causes us to lie down. It also has a lot to do with Philippians 1:12-13 wherein He causes us both to will and to do. If a person cannot find it a joy to be a bondslave of Christ, not their own, and over themselves with their "free will" then something is amiss.

So, either we are glad He bought us out of the slave market of sin, where our wills were not free, or we remain rebellious at heart, demanding our "rights."

By the way, He is called Master for a reason. It's not just a catchy title.
Nobody disagrees with the slave/master characterization. I just think that the significance you attach to that metaphor is biblically suspect. Romans 6:16-18 actually says that we determine for ourselves whether we are slaves of sin or slaves of obedience leading to righteousness.

"Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness." (NKJV)

So if we take Paul's words at face value, we self-determine who we are slaves to; not only that, but we can choose to be slaves of another without asking our current master's permission. It may not be true in the natural sense, but it's true in the spiritual sense. That's the limitation of the metaphor, and all metaphors have limitations. For that matter, even in the natural a slave can rebel and run away from his/her master, never to return.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, (ie. not just Jews, but Gentiles too)
that he gave his only Son,
that whoever believes in him (that would be the elect)
should not perish but have eternal life.
I think this is why Jonah had beef going to Nineveh. He knew God would save them.

Nobody disagrees with the slave/master characterization.
Not so, you do yourself.
I just think that the significance you attach to that metaphor is biblically suspect.
Unsubstantiated.
Romans 6:16-18 actually says that we determine for ourselves whether we are slaves of sin or slaves of obedience leading to righteousness.
Sigh...it says nothing of the sort, you're not understanding the Biblical language due to being hoodwinked by free will humanism.

Never mind then, take care...

Chain salesman.

Let see, so according to some, Jesus died to bring into bondage!!!!

Seriously, can't stand such theology.

No greater love has another then to die for their friends, that they might then be put in chains.

Sheeesh .......
I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.
Song of Solomon 5:1 KJV

I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.
Song of Solomon 5:1 KJV

And?

Nobody disagrees with the slave/master characterization. I just think that the significance you attach to that metaphor is biblically suspect. Romans 6:16-18 actually says that we determine for ourselves whether we are slaves of sin or slaves of obedience leading to righteousness.

"Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness." (NKJV)

So if we take Paul's words at face value, we self-determine who we are slaves to; not only that, but we can choose to be slaves of another without asking our current master's permission. It may not be true in the natural sense, but it's true in the spiritual sense. That's the limitation of the metaphor, and all metaphors have limitations. For that matter, even in the natural a slave can rebel and run away from his/her master, never to return.
Great response

those were not gentiles spoken of in Acts 28:27

and those who were addressed in Eph 2:12 got saved

That is why I have a hard time have a conversation with you Tom. I mention Eph 2:12 and you ignore what it says and throw out a "look at that rabbit" response. Do you mind recognizing the obvious and dealing with it.....

Eph 2:12 is a reference to a time when there was a WALL between Gentiles and Jews. Gentiles were not the heirs of promise. Countless Gentiles died without one thought of knowing the Gospel. You know they did. You may scoff at predestination, but you can't ignore the fact that these people had no hope..... ZERO hope.

You either deal with it or you don't. Doesn't matter. Till you do, I'll just leave you alone.

Yes most people

because they receive not the love of the truth and suppress it in unrighteousness

They have ALL gone out of the way and become unprofitable. There is NONE righteous. No not one.

We are the descendents of countless rebels that hated and denied God over and over again. Except God had left a remnant, we would have been like Sodom and Gomorrah.

What is the remnant Tom? Why the remnant?

They have ALL gone out of the way and become unprofitable. There is NONE righteous. No not one.

We are the descendents of countless rebels that hated and denied God over and over again. Except God had left a remnant, we would have been like Sodom and Gomorrah.

What is the remnant Tom? Why the remnant?
a portion which will be saved by grace

Romans 9:27–32 (KJV 1900) — 27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: 28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth. 29 And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha. 30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. 31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. 32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. .........................

Romans 11:5–10 (KJV 1900) — 5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. 7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded

That is why I have a hard time have a conversation with you Tom. I mention Eph 2:12 and you ignore what it says and throw out a "look at that rabbit" response. Do you mind recognizing the obvious and dealing with it.....

Eph 2:12 is a reference to a time when there was a WALL between Gentiles and Jews. Gentiles were not the heirs of promise. Countless Gentiles died without one thought of knowing the Gospel. You know they did. You may scoff at predestination, but you can't ignore the fact that these people had no hope..... ZERO hope.

You either deal with it or you don't. Doesn't matter. Till you do, I'll just leave you alone.
Maybe you have a hard time following a conversation

I had stated

I believe some people can grow so hardened they cannot believe or at least it would take an extreme circumstance to crack that shell

you noted

christ-undivided
I agree with you but that is not exactly consistent with what Jesus said.

I produced evidence which supported what I claimed above

quoting

Isn't it

Acts 28:27 (KJV 1900) — 27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

you replied with an unrelated passage

christ-undivided
Who are these Scriptures talking about?

Did not Paul say that there were countless Gentiles without hope?

Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world

This is a specific reference to countless Gentiles without any possible hope nor even access to the Truth of God.

I noted that reference concerned gentiles who actually wound up saved

so what were you not able to follow?

But if Jesus paid their sin debt to the Father when He was in the Holiest of Holies, how do they end up in hell?
He did not as they did not believe

sin is remitted upon faith in Christ

Romans 3:22–26 (KJV 1900) — 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Perhaps from before the foundations of the earth it was Gods plan to have you pray for "so and so"....and it was God intention to hear your prayer and open their heart Lydia style....so they could be regenerated and undertand the gospel.
Amen. My prayer is part of the narritive

So can it be said you pray out of some sense of obligation rather than desire? What does it mean that your prayer is part of God's decree?
Obligation rather than desire? Are you judging my motives?

My prayers are part of the narrative. Part of the plan.

Can your prayers change Gods foreknowledge?

Amen. My prayer is part of the narritive
II. Although God knows whatsoever may or can come to pass upon all supposed conditions; yet hath he not decreed any thing because he foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions.

Westminster Assembly, The Westminster Confession of Faith: Edinburgh Edition (Philadelphia: William S. Young, 1851), 26–27.

oops

Back