Preaching from the apocrypha

Status
Not open for further replies.
You prove it, you have proved nothing.
I've cited 4th and 5th century manuscripts of the Scriptures that the Christians used which include the Septuagint.

Discussing this with you is meaningless.
I could say the same ;)

Also thinking the early Christians from Judea, Galilee were Greek thinking is incorrect and means the subtle understandings of the Hebrew mind is missed when translating the scriptures.
Dr Ryan Reeves, associate professor of historical theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary would disagree with you.

I've cited 4th and 5th century manuscripts of the Scriptures that the Christians used which include the Septuagint.

I could say the same ;)

Dr Ryan Reeves, associate professor of historical theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary would disagree with you.
That means nothing. I could quote scholars who do agree with me. This is pointless, you have nothing.

That means nothing. I could quote scholars who do agree with me.
And I can quote scholars who agree with many. Many of whom are not Orthodox or Catholic.

This is pointless, you have nothing.
Except for the fact that the Septuagint is quoted more than 90% of the time in the NT and the fact that the early Christians used the Septuagint and saw it as authoritative. By the way, the Jews never had a "closed canon" of the Scriptures at the time of Christ. The Sadducees, as I have mentioned, used only the Pentateuch, the Pharisees the fuller canon which included the Psalms and the Prophets while the Jews in diaspora used the Septuagint (which was the majority of the Jews during this time). The Jews discussed the issue of their canon well into the 3rd century. This is well beyond the Apostolic period.

And I can quote scholars who agree with many. Many of whom are not Orthodox or Catholic.

Except for the fact that the Septuagint is quoted more than 90% of the time in the NT and the fact that the early Christians used the Septuagint and saw it as authoritative. By the way, the Jews never had a "closed canon" of the Scriptures at the time of Christ. The Sadducees, as I have mentioned, used only the Pentateuch, the Pharisees the fuller canon which included the Psalms and the Prophets while the Jews in diaspora used the Septuagint (which was the majority of the Jews during this time). The Jews discussed the issue of their canon well into the 3rd century. This is well beyond the Apostolic period.
You have proved nothing and you have nothing to give. This is a waste of time and effort. I can quote many scholars who do not agree.
The NT was written in Greek which proves nothing at all.

The Jewish people in Judea have never agreed with those in diaspora since the temple elephantine. You are proving nothing at all.

You have proved nothing and you have nothing to give.
I have given early manuscripts from the 4th and 5th centuries that include the Septuagint (Codex Vaticuanus, Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Alexandriunus; look them up. It's an easy Google search) and that every Bible up until the mid 1500s used the Septuagint. I mean, holy cow, the King James at one point included the Deuterocanonical Books in the back of the text.

The Jewish people in Judea have never agreed with those in diaspora since the temple elephantine.
Prove it! The Jews never agreed on a canon until like the 3rd century.

I have given early manuscripts from the 4th and 5th centuries that include the Septuagint (Codex Vaticuanus, Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Alexandriunus; look them up. It's an easy Google search) and that every Bible up until the mid 1500s used the Septuagint. I mean, holy cow, the King James at one point included the Deuterocanonical Books in the back of the text.

Prove it! The Jews never agreed on a canon until like the 3rd century.
Meaningless. I don't need to prove it, it is in all history books regarding the Jewish Judean followers. It is you who ignore those facts due to your bias. NO point discussing it, it is a waste of my time and we will never agree. I have quoted facts and already provided evidence.

As I tell my husband who is on the spectrum, no matter how often you push me to agree I am not going to do so.

I don't need to prove it
Ok :rolleyes:

Jewish Judean followers
They were not the only Jews.

It is you who ignore those facts due to your bias.
Actually, I don't. Scripture shows us that the Apostles used the Septuagint. History proves that the early Christians used the Septuagint. It is you who are bias because Catholics have the Deuterocanonical books in their Bibles. I mean, lets face it, I read through the Catholic forum all the time and 90% of posts are from non-Catholic Christians, many who are probably former Catholics, who dislike the Catholic Church and anything that is associated with it, for example, the Deuterocanonical books.

p.s.
I'm not saying I agree with Catholics on all things. As an Orthodoxy Christian, there are many points of disagreement.

As I tell my husband who is on the spectrum, no matter how often you push me to agree I am not going to do so.
I'm not trying to push you to agree with me. You have free will to believe or not believe what you want.

Ok :rolleyes:

They were not the only Jews.

Actually, I don't. Scripture shows us that the Apostles used the Septuagint. History proves that the early Christians used the Septuagint. It is you who are bias because Catholics have the Deuterocanonical books in their Bibles. I mean, lets face it, I read through the Catholic forum all the time and 90% of posts are from non-Catholic Christians, many who are probably former Catholics, who dislike the Catholic Church and anything that is associated with it, for example, the Deuterocanonical books.

p.s.
I'm not saying I agree with Catholics on all things. As an Orthodoxy Christian, there are many points of disagreement.

I'm not trying to push you to agree with me. You have free will to believe or not believe what you want.
I don't need to prove it because you would just ignore what I post and this goes no where at all. You have experts and so do I.
They were the main Jewish group and the orthodox of their day whereas the diaspora were contaminated in their minds. If you group were the important ones, Jesus would have been born into them but He wasn't.
The Septuagint was used and the extra books are not scripture, they contain errors etc. It is you who is bias. You have read does not make you an expert on anything. Most of what non RCs post is by both those brought up RCs and know how evil it is and non RCs who were not brought up RC but see its false claims. RCs only use ECFs when it suits them and ignore what they wrote when it does not agree with them. I don't care either way about the RCC my feelings are neutral but their teachings are a false gospel saying so is just stating the facts.

I already know their is a gap between RCs and Orthodox.

But you are trying to push me. I know I prefer the truth.

I am locking this thread, as it is over a year old and got bumped to the top. Also, several posters have gone far off topic from the discussion of the Methodist Church into discussing the Apocrypha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back