Predestination

Sethproton

I might not know as much as many here on the forum but I do know a few things such as Jesus is not was our mediator and that Jesus is still a human being. I learned that when I first believed or shortly after.
We are all learning. Sometimes we are taught wrong and as we study we realize it. So did you get to the post you asked me to write to you about the grammar in Heb 8:6?

Johnnybgood

There are some things I am open to which is why I am on this forum with both Arminians and Calvinists and others such as Jesus not being a human or our mediator , priest and king all offices the book of Hebrews say are still active that I’m not open to changing my mind on. That might give people here some insight about what I believe or do not believe . The book of Hebrews has been my favorite book when I was first a Christian and is still my favorite . I’m more familiar with that book than all the others in the Bible . I still have allot to learn about it but for me it gives me so much insight into the Old Testament and how Jesus fulfills it all and how it glorifies and exalts Him above all in every chapter .

Last edited:

Johnnybgood

That is great and I agree it’s timeless and God is now love just as He was when the verse was written.

My question is this since Hebrews 8:6 used the exact same verb estin that says Jesus is our mediator why is God still love and Jesus is still not our mediator . This is my question .
@Sethproton i asked you the same question in this thread specifically about Heb 8:6 in this thread

Johnnybgood

It looks like the hot topic is Jesus really our mediator now or is that something that is now past. I’m tired of reading about 1 Tim 2:5 so can you explain this passage from Hebrews .

Hebrews 8:6
But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, to the extent that He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
@Sethproton here is another one where I keep asking you specifically about Heb 8:6 and said I’m tired or reading about 1 Tim 2:5.

So you are incorrect as I have been consistent in asking you about Heb 8:6 not 1 Tim 2:5. You must have me confused with someone else

Dizerner

Posted a question about 1 Tim. 2:5 in the language forum:

Sethproton

Why did you ask about a past tense? Neither I nor anyone is claiming it should be understood as past tense.
But I am interested to see the discussion, thanks for the heads up

Sethproton

Thanks again. I went over and asked him further questions, hopefully he answers

Sethproton

You claimed it was past in 1 Tim 2:5. Are you now denying you said that ?
Of course I deny that, I never said the passage could be translated as past tense. Never. You are confused
If you think I am mistaken, then tell which post I said it could be translated as past tense
To the contrary I have stated about 5 times in this chat that it appears to me the present tense translations are correct

Last edited:

brightfame52

What is predestination ?

It is God’s predetermining all reasonable beings, whether angels or men, to an everlasting domain either of salvation or damnation. 1 Thess 5:9

9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

So predestination is comprised of two aspects:

Election, which is God’s sovereign choosing some men to salvation through Christ. “And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory.” {Rom 9:23} “Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will.” {Eph1:5}

Reprobation, which is God’s sovereign choosing some, both men and Angels, to destruction. There are some vessels “to dishonor.” {2 Tim 2:20} “To shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction.” {Rom 9:22}

civic

We are all learning. Sometimes we are taught wrong and as we study we realize it. So did you get to the post you asked me to write to you about the grammar in Heb 8:6?
Maybe you could break down Hebrews 8:6 and show us why He is nor our mediator now by exegeting that passage.