Preterist Theology Is Inconsistent And Unbiblical

RCM

It is quite obvious that Preterist Theology is inconsistent, contradictory, and just plain unbiblical, for example....

Preterists want to use Acts 15:13-18 as a proof text that Gentiles becoming Believers is fulfillment of David's Tabernacle being restored from the OT Book of Amos 9:11-12

Amos 9:11-12
11 "In that day I will raise up the fallen booth of David, And wall up its breaches; I will also raise up its ruins And rebuild it as in the days of old;
12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom And all the nations who are called by My name," Declares the LORD who does this.

Amos is saying that in the Day of the Lord (that day), the Lord, Himself, personally, and literally, will rebuild the fallen house of David, in fulfillment of His covenant with David, which implies that a descendant of David will sit on David's throne and reign over Israel, (which will be Jesus, Himself)

Now, lets look at what James says in Acts 15:13-18

Acts 15:13-14
13 After they had stopped speaking, James answered, saying, "Brethren, listen to me.
14 "Simeon has related how God first concerned Himself about taking from among the Gentiles a people for His name.

James and Peter are referencing Isaiah 9:2, 42:6-7, and 49:6

Isaiah 9:2, "The people who walk in darkness Will see a great light; Those who live in a dark land, The light will shine on them."

Isaiah 42:6-7, "I am the LORD, I have called You in righteousness, I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You, And I will appoint You as a covenant to the people, As a light to the nations, To open blind eyes, To bring out prisoners from the dungeon And those who dwell in darkness from the prison."

Isaiah 49:6, "He says, "It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant To raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved ones of Israel; I will also make You a light of the nations So that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth."

Back to Acts 15,
Acts 15:15-16
15 "With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written,
16 'AFTER these things I will return, AND I WILL REBUILD the TABERNACLE of DAVID which has fallen, AND I WILL REBUILD its ruins, AND I WILL RESTORE it,

Here is a very key part of Acts 15:13-18 that the Preterists completely ignore or overlook

After these things refers to the times of the Gentiles, Luke 21:24

Luke 21:24, "and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled."

Then you have the words, "I will return," which is the return or second coming of Jesus Christ, and it is then that Jesus will rebuild the Tabernacle of David which has fallen (This is consistent Biblical theology so that Amos 9:11-15 correlates with Hosea 3, Daniel 9, Ezekiel 40-48)

So, Preterists are in complete error in their interpretation of Acts 15:13-18, by thinking that by Gentiles becoming Believers by Faith in Jesus fulfills Amos 9:11-12 (Preterists grossly distort and misinterpret James' words)

Back to Acts 15,

Acts 15:17-18
17 SO that the rest of MANKIND may seek the LORD, AND ALL the GENTILES WHO are called by MY NAME,'
18 SAYS the LORD, WHO MAKES these things known from long ago.

Verse 17 is a reference of Isaiah 11:10, which is also referenced in Luke 2:30-32 and Romans 15:12

Isaiah 11:10, "Then in that day The nations will resort to the root of Jesse, Who will stand as a signal for the peoples; And His resting place will be glorious."

Luke 2:30-32
30 For my eyes have seen Your salvation,
31 Which You have prepared in the presence of all peoples,
32 A LIGHT OF REVELATION to the GENTILES, And the glory of Your people Israel."

Romans 15:12, "Again Isaiah says, "THERE SHALL COME THE ROOT of JESSE, AND HE WHO ARISES to rule over the GENTILES, IN HIM SHALL THE GENTILES hope."

In the closing verse of Acts 13:18, James says the Lord has made these things known from long ago, which implies a literal fulfillment is going to take place, to which Jesus also implies in Mark 13:23

Mark 13:23, "But take heed; behold, I have told you everything in advance."

The theology of Preterism is neither consistent nor Biblical

RCM

My comment is....what we read in the book of Revelations hasn't happened yet.

As an example the world has never seen the destruction described.

My comment is....what we read in the book of Revelations hasn't happened yet.

Huh? The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near.[Revelation 1:1-3] John was commissioned to write this letter and it was to be read to the seven churches in Asia Minor. Why send them a letter of impending doom, if this doom was to take place millennia later? That just does not make any sense.

For argument's sake, say God shows me where you live(I know He does not do this, but for emphasis allow me to use this) and 3,000 years from this very day Russia, China, Japan, Mexico, UK, Canada, each send a nuclear bomb that completely obliterates the place where you live now. What good would it be for me to write you a warning letter of this event coming three millennia later? It would be fruitless for me to do this.

As an example the world has never seen the destruction described.

Read the Olivet Discourse and you will see it being fulfilled as you read Revelation. Obviously the Second Advent has not happened yet, but the vast majority of Revelation was fulfilled in AD 70.

Huh? The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near.[Revelation 1:1-3] John was commissioned to write this letter and it was to be read to the seven churches in Asia Minor. Why send them a letter of impending doom, if this doom was to take place millennia later? That just does not make any sense.

For argument's sake, say God shows me where you live(I know He does not do this, but for emphasis allow me to use this) and 3,000 years from this very day Russia, China, Japan, Mexico, UK, Canada, each send a nuclear bomb that completely obliterates the place where you live now. What good would it be for me to write you a warning letter of this event coming three millennia later? It would be fruitless for me to do this.

Read the Olivet Discourse and you will see it being fulfilled as you read Revelation. Obviously the Second Advent has not happened yet, but the vast majority of Revelation was fulfilled in AD 70.
Then what was the mark of the beast of chapter 13?

Then what was the mark of the beast of chapter 13?
From Dr. Kenneth Gentry, Jr.

Reader’s question

What is the “Mark of the Beast”? And since your answer will obviously have to have some first century application, isn’t it at all curious to you that for the first time in human history — with microchips, retinal scanners, a growing one-world economy, etc.—that the technology exists to make the “Mark of the Beast” a reality?

My response:

Thanks for your question. This type of thinking is fairly common in our American dispensationalist-dominated religious environment. However, I believe it is quite erroneous. The computer technology of today does not fit the requirements of the text of Revelation for the several reasons.

But first, let’s look at Rev 13:18: “Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six.” Does this require computer technology? I do not believe so.

1. We must read this statement in its own literary setting. The mark of the Beast is no more a literal mark than the mark of the Lamb in the next few verse. In Rev 14:1 we read: “Then I looked, and behold, the Lamb was standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads.”
I have never heard anyone teaching that the followers of the Lamb during the (supposed future) great tribulation will have a computer chip on their foreheads which holds the name of the Lamb in it.

1. In fact, this mark is actually an image of dominion and control. Notice that in Rev 13 no one may buy or sell without the mark (13:17). And note also that it is placed on the right hand and the forehead, which appear to represent that which we do (the right hand) and that which we think (the forehead). This speaks of oppressive, domineering control — which does not require computer chips to effect. There have been many totalitarian governments in the world.
In fact, today ISIS is a current example of such an attempt to control a person’s thinking and actions. And they do not need computer chips to do so.

1. The idea involved here is of a “beast” who imposes this mark due to his divine pretensions. He attempts for force men to worship him (Rev 13:4, 8). This may easily apply to emperor worship, which was well known in the historical setting of the seven churches of Asia (Rev 1:4, 11). And given a number of other interpretive angles this divine pretender would seem to be Nero Caesar, an egomaniac who actually did seek worship from men.
  1. The Book of Revelation is an extremely OT-oriented book. Thus, we always do well to check the OT background to see if we can find help. It appears that this mark on the right hand and forehead is a negative reflection on God’s requiring his Law on his people (Dt 6:8). God rightly imposes his Law on man; the “beast” (Nero Caesar?) wickedly seeks to impose his will, as if he is a god.
  2. Any present day mark goes against John’s time-frame (near, Rev 1:1, 3; 22:6, 10), relevance (persecuted churches, Rev 1:9), and theme (judgment of Israel, Rev 1:7; 11:1–2, 8). The computer chip idea may excite the minds of devotees of science fiction, but it should not sway devotees of God’s historical word.
Thanks for your question. I hope this helps.

From Dr. Kenneth Gentry, Jr.

Reader’s question

What is the “Mark of the Beast”? And since your answer will obviously have to have some first century application, isn’t it at all curious to you that for the first time in human history — with microchips, retinal scanners, a growing one-world economy, etc.—that the technology exists to make the “Mark of the Beast” a reality?

My response:

Thanks for your question. This type of thinking is fairly common in our American dispensationalist-dominated religious environment. However, I believe it is quite erroneous. The computer technology of today does not fit the requirements of the text of Revelation for the several reasons.

But first, let’s look at Rev 13:18: “Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six.” Does this require computer technology? I do not believe so.

1. We must read this statement in its own literary setting. The mark of the Beast is no more a literal mark than the mark of the Lamb in the next few verse. In Rev 14:1 we read: “Then I looked, and behold, the Lamb was standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads.”
I have never heard anyone teaching that the followers of the Lamb during the (supposed future) great tribulation will have a computer chip on their foreheads which holds the name of the Lamb in it.

1. In fact, this mark is actually an image of dominion and control. Notice that in Rev 13 no one may buy or sell without the mark (13:17). And note also that it is placed on the right hand and the forehead, which appear to represent that which we do (the right hand) and that which we think (the forehead). This speaks of oppressive, domineering control — which does not require computer chips to effect. There have been many totalitarian governments in the world.
In fact, today ISIS is a current example of such an attempt to control a person’s thinking and actions. And they do not need computer chips to do so.

1. The idea involved here is of a “beast” who imposes this mark due to his divine pretensions. He attempts for force men to worship him (Rev 13:4, 8). This may easily apply to emperor worship, which was well known in the historical setting of the seven churches of Asia (Rev 1:4, 11). And given a number of other interpretive angles this divine pretender would seem to be Nero Caesar, an egomaniac who actually did seek worship from men.
  2. The Book of Revelation is an extremely OT-oriented book. Thus, we always do well to check the OT background to see if we can find help. It appears that this mark on the right hand and forehead is a negative reflection on God’s requiring his Law on his people (Dt 6:8). God rightly imposes his Law on man; the “beast” (Nero Caesar?) wickedly seeks to impose his will, as if he is a god.
  3. Any present day mark goes against John’s time-frame (near, Rev 1:1, 3; 22:6, 10), relevance (persecuted churches, Rev 1:9), and theme (judgment of Israel, Rev 1:7; 11:1–2, 8). The computer chip idea may excite the minds of devotees of science fiction, but it should not sway devotees of God’s historical word.
Thanks for your question. I hope this helps.
That's pretty easy to shoot down in my opinion.
For example if the "mark" only represents your thoughts or works....how will that prevent you from buying or selling?

For example if the "mark" only represents your thoughts or works....how will that prevent you from buying or selling?
But again, and please do not take this as me being snarky, as that is not my intent, when you can fit soon and near into meaning two, three millennia later, get back with me.

Tachos is where we get tachometer from. Here are the places it’s used. I got this from https://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary/tachos

Greek-English Concordance for τάχος​

Luke 18:8I tell you, he will vindicate them without delay; but will the Son of Man, when he comes, find faith on earth?”
Acts 12:7And behold, an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared, and a light shone in the cell. He struck the side of Peter and woke him, saying, “Get up quickly.” And the chains fell off his hands.
Acts 22:18and I saw him saying to me, ‘Make haste and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about me.’
Acts 25:4So then Festus replied that Paul was being kept at Caesarea but that he himself intended to go there shortly.
Romans 16:20The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. May the grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.
1 Timothy 3:14I am writing these things to you, even though I am hoping to come to you quickly,
Revelation 1:1The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,
Revelation 22:6And he said to me, “These words are reliable and true. And the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show to his servants what must soon take place.”

This is what is used for ‘near’ in Revelation 1:3.

Greek-English Concordance for ἐγγύς​

Matthew 24:32“Learn this parable from the fig tree: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb).
Matthew 24:33So also, when you see all these things, you know that it is near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb), at the very door.
Matthew 26:18He said, “Go into the city to a certain man and say to him, ‘The Teacher says, “My time is at hand (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb). I will be keeping the Passover at your house with my disciples.”’”
Mark 13:28“Now from the fig tree learn its parable: As soon as its bough becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb).
Mark 13:29So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near (engys| ἐγγύς | adverb), at the gates.
Luke 19:11As they were listening to this, he went on to tell a parable, because he was near (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) Jerusalem, and they supposed that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once.
Luke 21:30When they have already put forth their leaves, you see for yourselves and know that summer is already near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb).
Luke 21:31So also you, when you see these things happening, will know that the kingdom of God is near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb).
John 2:13Now the Jewish Passover was at hand (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb), so Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
John 3:23Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) Salim, because there were many springs there, and people kept coming to be baptized.
John 6:4(Now the Passover, the great festival of the Jews, was at hand.) (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb)
John 6:19When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the lake and approaching (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) the boat, and they were terrified.
John 6:23However, other boats from Tiberias had come ashore near (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) the place where they had eaten the bread after the Lord had given thanks.
John 7:2Now the Jewish festival of Tabernacles was near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb).
John 11:18Bethany was near (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) Jerusalem, about two miles away,
John 11:54Jesus therefore no longer walked about openly among the Jews, but went from there to the region near (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) the wilderness, to a town called Ephraim, and he stayed there with his disciples.
John 11:55Now the Passover of the Jews was near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb), and many went up to Jerusalem from the country prior to the Passover to purify themselves.
John 19:20Many of the Jews read this inscription, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) the city, and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek.
John 19:42So because it was the Jewish day of Preparation and the tomb was nearby (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb), they laid Jesus there.
Acts 1:12Then they returned to Jerusalem from a hill called “The Mount of Olives,” which is near (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s walk away.
Acts 9:38Since Lydda is near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb) Joppa, the disciples, hearing that Peter was there, sent two men to him urging him, “Do not delay in coming to us.”
Acts 27:8Sailing past it with difficulty, we came to a place called Fair Havens, near (engys| ἐγγύς | adverb) to which was the city Lasea.
Romans 10:8But what does it say? “The word is near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb) you, in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the word of faith that we proclaim:
Romans 13:11And live this way because you are aware of the time, that the hour has come for us to wake from sleep, for our salvation is nearer (engyteron | ἐγγύτερον | adverb-comparative) now than when we first believed.
Ephesians 2:13But now in Christ Jesus you who were at that time far away have come near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb) through the blood of Christ.
Ephesians 2:17And he came and preached the good news of peace to you who were far off and of peace to those who were near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb);
Philippians 4:5Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb).
Hebrews 6:8But if it produces thorns and thistles, it is useless and about (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) to (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) be (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) cursed; its fate is to be burned.
Hebrews 8:13In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready (engys | ἐγγύς | improper prep-gen) to disappear.
Revelation 1:3Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and those who hear and keep what is written in it, for the time is near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb).
Revelation 22:10Then he said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near (engys | ἐγγύς | adverb).

The point John is making through Christ’s Revelation/Apocalypse, is that the things he has been shown, are to soon take place. That is why he is commissioned to write these things to the seven churches in Asia Minor. These things would be meaningless to them if they were to happen two, three millennia down the road.

Your preterist logic here in Revelation is faulty, as it is with Daniel 9 and Matthew 24,

Also for example, here is Zephaniah 1

Zephaniah 1:1-18
1 The word of the LORD which came to Zephaniah son of Cushi, son of Gedaliah, son of Amariah, son of Hezekiah, in the days of Josiah son of Amon, king of Judah:
2 "I will completely remove all things From the face of the earth," declares the LORD.
3 "I will remove man and beast; I will remove the birds of the sky And the fish of the sea, And the ruins along with the wicked; And I will cut off man from the face of the earth," declares the LORD.
4 "So I will stretch out My hand against Judah And against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place, And the names of the idolatrous priests along with the priests.
5 "And those who bow down on the housetops to the host of heaven, And those who bow down and swear to the LORD and yet swear by Milcom,
6 And those who have turned back from following the LORD, And those who have not sought the LORD or inquired of Him."
7 Be silent before the Lord GOD! For the day of the LORD is near, For the LORD has prepared a sacrifice, He has consecrated His guests.
8 "Then it will come about on the day of the LORD'S sacrifice That I will punish the princes, the king's sons And all who clothe themselves with foreign garments.
9 "And I will punish on that day all who leap on the temple threshold, Who fill the house of their lord with violence and deceit.
10 "On that day," declares the LORD, "There will be the sound of a cry from the Fish Gate, A wail from the Second Quarter, And a loud crash from the hills.
11 "Wail, O inhabitants of the Mortar, For all the people of Canaan will be silenced; All who weigh out silver will be cut off.
12 "It will come about at that time That I will search Jerusalem with lamps, And I will punish the men Who are stagnant in spirit, Who say in their hearts, 'The LORD will not do good or evil!'
13 "Moreover, their wealth will become plunder And their houses desolate; Yes, they will build houses but not inhabit them, And plant vineyards but not drink their wine."
14 Near is the great day of the LORD, Near and coming very quickly; Listen, the day of the LORD! In it the warrior cries out bitterly.
15 A day of wrath is that day, A day of trouble and distress, A day of destruction and desolation, A day of darkness and gloom, A day of clouds and thick darkness,
16 A day of trumpet and battle cry Against the fortified cities And the high corner towers.
17 I will bring distress on men So that they will walk like the blind, Because they have sinned against the LORD; And their blood will be poured out like dust And their flesh like dung.
18 Neither their silver nor their gold Will be able to deliver them On the day of the LORD'S wrath; And all the earth will be devoured In the fire of His jealousy, For He will make a complete end, Indeed a terrifying one, Of all the inhabitants of the earth.

Zephaniah was written in 600 B.C. and the Day of the Lord hasn't happened yet!

The language God inspired the writers of His Word to use resulted in the fact that the Biblical Scriptures are always current, relevant, personal, and applicable

I challenge you to refute the original post, with consistent Biblical Scripture in context

RCM

But again, and please do not take this as me being snarky, as that is not my intent, when you can fit soon and near into meaning two, three millennia later, get back with me.
There are many answers...here's one....a thousand years is but a ...what...to God.

The point John is making through Christ’s Revelation/Apocalypse, is that the things he has been shown, are to soon take place. That is why he is commissioned to write these things to the seven churches in Asia Minor. These things would be meaningless to them if they were to happen two, three millennia down the road.
There are many things in the book of Revelation that have not happened.

Your preterist logic here in Revelation is faulty, as it is with Daniel 9 and Matthew 24,

1 The word of the LORD which came to Zephaniah son of Cushi, son of Gedaliah, son of Amariah, son of Hezekiah, in the days of Josiah son of Amon, king of Judah:
2 "I will completely remove all things From the face of the earth," declares the LORD.
3 "I will remove man and beast; I will remove the birds of the sky And the fish of the sea, And the ruins along with the wicked; And I will cut off man from the face of the earth," declares the LORD.
4 "So I will stretch out My hand against Judah And against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place, And the names of the idolatrous priests along with the priests.
5 "And those who bow down on the housetops to the host of heaven, And those who bow down and swear to the LORD and yet swear by Milcom,
6 And those who have turned back from following the LORD, And those who have not sought the LORD or inquired of Him."
7 Be silent before the Lord GOD! For the day of the LORD is near, For the LORD has prepared a sacrifice, He has consecrated His guests.
8 "Then it will come about on the day of the LORD'S sacrifice That I will punish the princes, the king's sons And all who clothe themselves with foreign garments.
9 "And I will punish on that day all who leap on the temple threshold, Who fill the house of their lord with violence and deceit.
10 "On that day," declares the LORD, "There will be the sound of a cry from the Fish Gate, A wail from the Second Quarter, And a loud crash from the hills.
11 "Wail, O inhabitants of the Mortar, For all the people of Canaan will be silenced; All who weigh out silver will be cut off.
12 "It will come about at that time That I will search Jerusalem with lamps, And I will punish the men Who are stagnant in spirit, Who say in their hearts, 'The LORD will not do good or evil!'
13 "Moreover, their wealth will become plunder And their houses desolate; Yes, they will build houses but not inhabit them, And plant vineyards but not drink their wine."
14 Near is the great day of the LORD, Near and coming very quickly; Listen, the day of the LORD! In it the warrior cries out bitterly.
15 A day of wrath is that day, A day of trouble and distress, A day of destruction and desolation, A day of darkness and gloom, A day of clouds and thick darkness,
16 A day of trumpet and battle cry Against the fortified cities And the high corner towers.
17 I will bring distress on men So that they will walk like the blind, Because they have sinned against the LORD; And their blood will be poured out like dust And their flesh like dung.
18 Neither their silver nor their gold Will be able to deliver them On the day of the LORD'S wrath; And all the earth will be devoured In the fire of His jealousy, For He will make a complete end, Indeed a terrifying one, Of all the inhabitants of the earth.

The language God inspired the writers of His Word to use resulted in the fact that the Biblical Scriptures are always current, relevant, personal, and applicable

I challenge you to refute the original post, with consistent Biblical Scripture in context

RCM
There were many ‘day of the Lord’. These were in reference to judgments coming upon ppl at that time.

RCM
Notice NEAR IS THE GREAT DAY OF THE LORD, not millennia later.

Back