Preterist trix they use to try to sustain their doctrines...

robycop3

The fave pret trick is to render many Scriptures to "figurative/symbolic" status, especially those that have eschatological prophecies. They do that to try to make up for the fact that history shows that literal fulfillment of the eschatological prophecies simply hasn't yet occurred.

Another is their frequent referrals to the writings of Josephus. Remember, he was writing to impress Vespasian & Titus so he wouldn't become a target for spearchucking practice. Funny how he claimed to have seen & heard chariots in the sky above Jerusalem when none of the other several hundred thousand people in the area did !

Another trick is to try to re-write history. One of the most-outlandish ones I've seen was when a pret claimed that the Roman ensigns with eagles depicted on them were the abomination of desolation ! Another was a pret claim that the Roman coins of the day with Caesar's head depicted on them was the AOD ! If that were true, then we must be continuing the AOD, as most of the money dropped into church offering plates bears the depictions of dead US Presidents on it !

Just face it, O Preterists ! The prophetic events your doctrine SAYS have already occurred, have NOT yet happened ! Certainly, Jesus hasn't yet physically returned. When He does, there'll be no mistaking it anywhere on earth or in whatever space stations will be manned at the time.

Beware of the preterist trix, Sportzz Fanzz !

Cynthia

I am aware of the preterist beliefs, they are mostly in error, although they do get a few things right.

Like the 70AD conflagration was the fulfillment of the Olivet Discourse and of Daniel 12.

However, it (70AD events) closed out the Old Covenant only, the New Covenant and all scripture pertaining to the Great White Throne is yet future, they falsely claim that 70AD events fulfilled all prophecy pertaining to New Covenant saints. That part is very false.

Paul taught a 'double fulfillment' in a manner of speaking, although it is not one to one.

in Romans 2, he spoke of "the Jew first, and also the Greek" several times. This could indicate that everything that happened to the nation of Israel will also happen to the rest of mankind. 70AD was the day of wrath for the unrepentant Jews. Those who believed on Jesus heeded his advice and fled to Perea when they saw the armies surround Jerusalem.

A similar thing is predicted for the rest of the world in Rev 20, where the 'camp of the saints' (ie the church at large) is surrounded by evil forces, whether Marxist, Islam or simply wild atheists. At the point that the church can no longer witness the gospel, the end of time will come. Glory!

robycop3

I am aware of the preterist beliefs, they are mostly in error, although they do get a few things right.

Like the 70AD conflagration was the fulfillment of the Olivet Discourse and of Daniel 12.

However, it (70AD events) closed out the Old Covenant only, the New Covenant and all scripture pertaining to the Great White Throne is yet future, they falsely claim that 70AD events fulfilled all prophecy pertaining to New Covenant saints. That part is very false.

Paul taught a 'double fulfillment' in a manner of speaking, although it is not one to one.

in Romans 2, he spoke of "the Jew first, and also the Greek" several times. This could indicate that everything that happened to the nation of Israel will also happen to the rest of mankind. 70AD was the day of wrath for the unrepentant Jews. Those who believed on Jesus heeded his advice and fled to Perea when they saw the armies surround Jerusalem.

A similar thing is predicted for the rest of the world in Rev 20, where the 'camp of the saints' (ie the church at large) is surrounded by evil forces, whether Marxist, Islam or simply wild atheists. At the point that the church can no longer witness the gospel, the end of time will come. Glory!
Thanx for your input!
But actually, the events of 70 AD were the fulfillment of Jesus' "days of vengeance" prophecy against the Jews of that generation, in which all that had been previously written against them was fulfilled. (Revelation hadn't yet been written then.)

Then came a far-greater punishment against the Jews, beginning in 135-136 AD when hadrian booted them outta their land & gave it to the Philistines. This punishment endured til the end of the nazi holocaust, & I'm sure it was for their rejection & murder of Jesus. But since early 1945, God has been blessing the Jews again. Soon, the rest of Israel will find pot their true identity & will join with the Jews as prophesied.

Another partially-fulfilled prophecy is Isaiah 19. Up til recently, the 80 million Egyptians were terrified of the 6 million Jews; every time a Jew rattled his Uzi, the Egyptians quaked in their fezzes. But now, they're actually cooperating with each other! And for a long time, Egypt has been poor, as that chapter says. I have no doubt that the resta Isaiah 19 will soon be fulfilled with God's blessing Egypt & Assyria as well as Israel.

But all the eschatological events are still future.

The fave pret trick is to render many Scriptures to "figurative/symbolic" status, especially those that have eschatological prophecies. They do that to try to make up for the fact that history shows that literal fulfillment of the eschatological prophecies simply hasn't yet occurred.

In the following passage, David describes what God did for him:

Then the earth shook and quaked,
The foundations of heaven were trembling
And were shaken, because He was angry.
9 Smoke went up out of His nostrils,
And fire from His mouth was devouring;
Coals were kindled by it.
10 He also bowed the heavens down low, and came down
With thick darkness under His feet.
11 He rode on a cherub and flew;
He appeared on the wings of the wind.
12 He made darkness canopies around Him,
A mass of waters, thick clouds of the sky.
13 From the brightness before Him
Coals of fire were kindled.
14 The Lord thundered from heaven,
And the Most High uttered His voice.
15 And He shot arrows and scattered them,
Lightning, and routed them.
16 Then the channels of the sea appeared,
The foundations of the world were exposed
By the rebuke of the Lord,
From the blast of the breath of His nostrils.
17 He sent from on high, He took me;
He drew me out of many waters.
18 He rescued me from my strong enemy
2 Samuel 22

When did these things happen?

Another is their frequent referrals to the writings of Josephus. Remember, he was writing to impress Vespasian & Titus so he wouldn't become a target for spearchucking practice. Funny how he claimed to have seen & heard chariots in the sky above Jerusalem when none of the other several hundred thousand people in the area did !

Another trick is to try to re-write history. One of the most-outlandish ones I've seen was when a pret claimed that the Roman ensigns with eagles depicted on them were the abomination of desolation !

They brought these into the Temple. The Jews considered them to be an abomination.

Another was a pret claim that the Roman coins of the day with Caesar's head depicted on them was the AOD ! If that were true, then we must be continuing the AOD, as most of the money dropped into church offering plates bears the depictions of dead US Presidents on it !

Just face it, O Preterists ! The prophetic events your doctrine SAYS have already occurred, have NOT yet happened ! Certainly, Jesus hasn't yet physically returned. When He does, there'll be no mistaking it anywhere on earth or in whatever space stations will be manned at the time.

Beware of the preterist trix, Sportzz Fanzz !

robycop3

In the following passage, David describes what God did for him:

Then the earth shook and quaked,
The foundations of heaven were trembling
And were shaken, because He was angry.
9 Smoke went up out of His nostrils,
And fire from His mouth was devouring;
Coals were kindled by it.
10 He also bowed the heavens down low, and came down
With thick darkness under His feet.
11 He rode on a cherub and flew;
He appeared on the wings of the wind.
12 He made darkness canopies around Him,
A mass of waters, thick clouds of the sky.
13 From the brightness before Him
Coals of fire were kindled.
14 The Lord thundered from heaven,
And the Most High uttered His voice.
15 And He shot arrows and scattered them,
Lightning, and routed them.
16 Then the channels of the sea appeared,
The foundations of the world were exposed
By the rebuke of the Lord,
From the blast of the breath of His nostrils.
17 He sent from on high, He took me;
He drew me out of many waters.
18 He rescued me from my strong enemy
2 Samuel 22

When did these things happen?

They brought these into the Temple. The Jews considered them to be an abomination.
Remember, the Psalms, while are often based upon truths, are SONGS, & Dave had "artist's license", same as modern secular songwriters. Perry Como sang "Catch a falling star & put it in your pocket". The Beatles sang, "Well, my heart went Boom when I crossed that room..." & umpteen songs sang about "broken hearts".

Dave was likely writing about being pursued by Saul's army while being protected by God, & he used his "artist's license".

Remember, the Psalms, while are often based upon truths, are SONGS, & Dave had "artist's license", same as modern secular songwriters. Perry Como sang "Catch a falling star & put it in your pocket". The Beatles sang, "Well, my heart went Boom when I crossed that room..." & umpteen songs sang about "broken hearts".

Dave was likely writing about being pursued by Saul's army while being protected by God, & he used his "artist's license".

You mean apocalyptic literature is "artistic license"?

robycop3

When Dave wrote the Psalms, he didn't know God was gonna make at least some of them become Scripture. He wrote them to fit the melodies they'd be sung to. I don't know if they had written melodies as we have now or not. yes, he had prophecies he wanted to put to song, & he also wanted to praise & thank God for taking care of him while he was fleeing from Saul. He had been a musician from his youth, practicing for hours while watching his dad's sheep. (He also became proficient with a sling, so he could defend the sheep against any predator, & later, himself against Goliath.)

Reformedguy

It was the fulfillment of Daniel 12? So the resurrection was in AD 70? I am a Preterist

Cynthia

It was the fulfillment of Daniel 12? So the resurrection was in AD 70? I am a Preterist
hello Reformedguy

I am partial-preterist. I believe the Old Covenant saints were raised out of hades and taken to heaven spiritually in 70AD. A type of resurrection. I believe everything pertaining to the Old Covenant and to Old Covenant saints has been fulfilled.

Daniel 12 and the Olivet Discourse pertained to Old Testament Israel, not the church.

thank you for asking.

Last edited:

Reformedguy

hello Reformedguy

I am partial-preterist. I believe the Old Covenant saints were raised out of hades and taken to heaven spiritually in 70AD. A type of resurrection. I believe everything pertaining to the Old Covenant and to Old Covenant saints has been fulfilled.

Daniel 12 and the Olivet Discourse pertained to Old Testament Israel, not the church.

thank you for asking.
Your welcome and thanks for clarifying. I agree with you. Happy Thanksgiving

robycop3

Happy Thanxgiving to all !

Actually, the events of 70 AD were the accomplishment of the 'days of vengeance' proclaimed by Jesus against that generation of Jews, when every prophecy written against them UP TO THAT TIME was fulfilled. All the eschatological events were written against not only the Jews, but everyone on earth.

Jesus did not return in 70 AD. His return will be SEEN BY ALL, as He said, & will be the MOST-SPECTACULAR event man has ever seen ! His "secret return" is a figment of man's imagination, & was specifically warned against by Jesus Himself.

Nor did the "great trib" occur in 66-70AD. remember, Jesus said he will return immediately after it ends. Nor did the "abomination of desolation" occur then. That event will be when the antichrist sits in the new temple the Jews will build in Jerusalem, set his statue up in it & declare himself God. That event didn't occur in the old temple.

Partial preterism is as wrong as full preterism. Thus says history compared to Scripture.

Reformedguy

Actually, the events of 70 AD were the accomplishment of the 'days of vengeance' proclaimed by Jesus against that generation of Jews, when every prophecy written against them UP TO THAT TIME was fulfilled. All the eschatological events were written against not only the Jews, but everyone on earth.

Jesus did not return in 70 AD. His return will be SEEN BY ALL, as He said, & will be the MOST-SPECTACULAR event man has ever seen ! His "secret return" is a figment of man's imagination, & was specifically warned against by Jesus Himself.

Nor did the "great trib" occur in 66-70AD. remember, Jesus said he will return immediately after it ends. Nor did the "abomination of desolation" occur then. That event will be when the antichrist sits in the new temple the Jews will build in Jerusalem, set his statue up in it & declare himself God. That event didn't occur in the old temple.

Partial preterism is as wrong as full preterism. Thus says history compared to Scripture.
Scripture would seem to teach otherwise. We need look no further than the time statements

Cynthia

After Thanksgiving week, I will respond.