Preterist trix they use to try to sustain their doctrines...

Reformedguy

There's the old, meaningless "soon" argument again. It's made completely moot by the FACT that the prophesied eschatological events HAVEN'T YET OCCURRED.
Of course its meaningless to you. To most of us though words mean things. So let me ask if I may, did the inspired writers of scripture misspeak when they used the word "soon"?

robycop3

Of course its meaningless to you. To most of us though words mean things. So let me ask if I may, did the inspired writers of scripture misspeak when they used the word "soon"?
No use for this discussion to go on. As I said, the prophesied eschatological events haven't happened yet, so any discussion of "soon" in this context are moot. If that's all you have supporting preterism, you have a foundation of air.

Reformedguy

No use for this discussion to go on. As I said, the prophesied eschatological events haven't happened yet, so any discussion of "soon" in this context are moot. If that's all you have supporting preterism, you have a foundation of air.
So "soon" does not soon then? How woukd you define soon?

Manfred

Soon as in 2000 years later? Define what you mean by soon
Well, apparently Preterism turned up soon after Jesus' death to let Christendom know they missed His return 1500 years back, and that the word soon proved them right.

Will you let me know soon what evidence you have?
I suppose not. You will let me know pretty soon that the only evidence you have does not coincide with the signs spoken about in scripture, but you base it on what you want to define the word "soon" as.

Reformedguy

Well, apparently Preterism turned up soon after Jesus' death to let Christendom know they missed His return 1500 years back, and that the word soon proved them right.

Will you let me know soon what evidence you have?
I suppose not. You will let me know pretty soon that the only evidence you have does not coincide with the signs spoken about in scripture, but you base it on what you want to define the word "soon" as.
Nice deflection. I need to know what you mean by soon, define your terms

Manfred

Soon.
May I have your definition of soon? Please?
A second from now.

or 10 000 years, compared to eternity.

Now can you let me know how soon Jesus came back, and how all of Christendom missed His return, but soon after that Preterists started saying He musta come back, because soon is over...

robycop3

Soon.

A second from now.

or 10 000 years, compared to eternity.

Now can you let me know how soon Jesus came back, and how all of Christendom missed His return, but soon after that Preterists started saying He musta come back, because soon is over...
I won't humor him (or anyone else) on the 'soon' issue. They only try to use it because they have no real evidence to prove the preterism myth. As the prophesied eschatological events haven't yet occurred, any 'soon' discussions about them are moot.

Yodas_Prodigy

Could you tell me what "coming" means in the Olivet Discourse? Here is the context - 27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory - Who are "They"? What does it mean to "come in a cloud"?

Manfred

Could you tell me what "coming" means in the Olivet Discourse? Here is the context - 27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory - Who are "They"? What does it mean to "come in a cloud"?
24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, 25 and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. 26 And then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. 27 And then he will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven. (Mark)

30 Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. (Matt)

You can give me your conjecture on what "coming in a cloud means"

Manfred

I asked first...
Well I answered that I will not conjecture on what it means. The Bible is not that descriptive on the matter, so I invited you to give YOUR conjecture:
16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

Paul missed the whole thing of being resurrected or being caught up in the clouds with the resurrected.

Yodas_Prodigy

Well I answered that I will not conjecture on what it means. The Bible is not that descriptive on the matter, so I invited you to give YOUR conjecture:
16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

I'll help you out. Clouds, mostly when mentioned with YHWH in the O.T., means a coming judgement. What judgement do you suppose was coming within a generation?

Paul missed the whole thing of being resurrected or being caught up in the clouds with the resurrected.

I agree... It hasn't happened yet...

Manfred

I'll help you out. Clouds, mostly when mentioned with YHWH in the O.T., means a coming judgement. What judgement do you suppose was coming within a generation?
And not even one scripture to help me out with, but only your opinion. I told you I was willing to listen to you conjecture.
So no need to think you are helping me out with anything. Up to this point you have not written anything that contains any substance.
I agree... It hasn't happened yet...
So soon is not soon after all??