Prevenient grace?

Carbon

Does the Bible teach the doctrine of Prevenient grace? If so, where?
Personally, I do not believe it does.

Becides, what good is Prevenient grace since it is offered outwardly to spiritually dead people?
If it was inwardly (like effectual or, irresistible grace), the why don’t everyone believe? Isn’t everyone offered the same amount?

why does it work with some and not others? Are some more righteous, more intelligent?
is it a gift? If so did God give the gift to everyone? Or just to some?

Dizerner

I don't think it's a great term for the doctrine because it is ambiguous.

Every system believes in some form of "preceding grace" (except for maybe people who deny sin altogether).

The real objection is not "preceding grace" at all, but true libertarian autonomous free will.

So it's best to keep things in focus and not object that a doctrine about grace preceding is the real issue.

Carbon

I realize there are three prominent positions on Prevenient grace in Arminianism.
But they all agree God desires to save everyone so He comes before drawing man to make a decision

praise_yeshua

Does the Bible teach the doctrine of Prevenient grace? If so, where?
Personally, I do not believe it does.

Becides, what good is Prevenient grace since it is offered outwardly to spiritually dead people?
If it was inwardly (like effectual or, irresistible grace), the why don’t everyone believe? Isn’t everyone offered the same amount?

why does it work with some and not others? Are some more righteous, more intelligent?
is it a gift? If so did God give the gift to everyone? Or just to some?

I suppose the Gospel isn't full of Grace? The Gospel is preached to every naturally living creature.

Carbon

Every system believes in some form of "preceding grace" (except for maybe people who deny sin altogether).

The real objection is not "preceding grace" at all, but true libertarian autonomous free will.

So it's best to keep things in focus and not object that a doctrine about grace preceding is the real issue.
So prove it with scripture.
I don’t think you can, simply because scripture don’t teach it.

Carbon

I suppose the Gospel isn't full of Grace? The Gospel is preached to every naturally living creature.
Hhmmm, don’t see any scripture support.

Am I suppose to believe in Prevenient grace because your humanistic reasoning says so?
I think not

Carbon

But do show me because the gospel is preached to every living thing (which it ain’t) and the gospel is full of grace that it proves Prevenient grace.

if not?

thanks for your opinion

praise_yeshua

Hhmmm, don’t see any scripture support.

Am I suppose to believe in Prevenient grace because your humanistic reasoning says so?
I think not
In what way is what I said "humanistic". I assumed you knew of the Great Commission. Maybe not. Here it is.

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

praise_yeshua

But do show me because the gospel is preached to every living thing (which it ain’t) and the gospel is full of grace that it proves Prevenient grace.

if not?

thanks for your opinion

I wish you would spend more time in the Scriptures and forget what others tell you.....

Luk 4:22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?

Would like to provide a exegesis of Luke 4:22? Pay attention to how "gracious" is constructed and how it is used everywhere throughout the Scriptures. It is ALL about Grace.

Carbon

In what way is what I said "humanistic". I assumed you knew of the Great Commission. Maybe not. Here it is.

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
I know the great commission, and it’s not worded the way you presented it, sorry.

but still no scripture proof. I’ll be waiting.

praise_yeshua

I know the great commission, and it’s not worded the way you presented it, sorry.

but still no scripture proof. I’ll be waiting.

The Gospel is preached to every living creature regardless of their condition or future disposition. This represents preceding Grace in humanity.

Carbon

I wish you would spend more time in the Scriptures and forget what others tell you.....

Luk 4:22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?

Would like to provide a exegesis of Luke 4:22? Pay attention to how "gracious" is constructed and how it is used everywhere throughout the Scriptures. It is ALL about Grace.
Sure, I’ll give you an exegesis if you would like.
Do you really believe this teaches Prevenient grace?

if you do maybe you should consider your own words?

praise_yeshua

Sure, I’ll give you an exegesis if you would like.
Do you really believe this teaches Prevenient grace?

if you do maybe you should consider your own words?

Maybe you should consider this verse as well....

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Carbon

The Gospel is preached to every living creature regardless of their condition or future disposition. This represents preceding Grace in humanity.
Okay, so how does this work in directing and persuading man to make a decision for Christ.

Come on now, if you believe in Prevenient grace prove it with scripture.

the issues with you is you do not like to be wrong, you treat everyone as inferior. You know exactly what I'm talking about with Prevenient grace to salvation, don’t you. As far as the gospel going out into all the world as grace, I agree, of course. Are you trying to confuse the subject because you can’t prove it?
or do you really not know? Maybe study up on the doctrine?
Respectfully

Carbon

Maybe you should consider this verse as well....

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
This scripture destroys your doctrine of Prevenient grace. That’s if you support it

Carbon

I really was hoping someone would actually at least make an attempt to show in scripture where Prevenient grace is taught.

Dizerner

I really was hoping someone would actually at least make an attempt to show in scripture where Prevenient grace is taught.

There is an embarrassment of riches for verses that support God's grace precedes man's worthiness and brings him to a place of accepting or resisting grace.

Since your presuppositions you bring to the Bible don't allow for that paradigm, you will reject all supporting verses by interpreting the description of potential responses or lack of responses as flattened out to determinism.

For example, you'd have to believe that "resist" is not something actually done by people, but preprogrammed by God. So everything that describes autonomy normally is re-construed as some form of determinism.

As a simple illustration here is one verse (among thousands) that brings out the principle of preceding grace:

35 Then Jesus said to them, "A little while longer the light is with you. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you; he who walks in darkness does not know where he is going.
36 "While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light." These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and was hidden from them. (Joh 12:35-36 NKJ)

A deterministic rendition of the above would be written as follows:

35 Then Jesus said to them, "A little while longer the light is with you. You have been predestined to have the darkness over take you, so you will continue to walk in darkness.
36 "While you have the light, only the predestined can believe in the light and become sons of the Light." These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and was hidden from them. (Joh 12:35-36 No Bible Ever)

But instead Jesus says that the limited presence of the light is a temporary enablement to believe in it. If that were not true, and Christ was only speaking descriptively and not prescriptively, the presence of the light would be irrelevant to the opportunity to respond to it.

Once this light is gone, the "window of time" has expired to respond to it.

That whole idea is completely contrary to, and incompatible with, determinism.