Progressive Christianity: What is it?

Gary Mac

You seem like a nice guy,
Some would dispute that by all the names I have been called by them LOL
but again this forum is meant for discussing Christianity as understood from the Bible.
Absolutely and there is only one way it can be understood and that is for the Author of to interpret it for you by Spirit. There is no other way it can be discerned least you have His Spirit to do so. Even Jesus received this discernment by Gods Spirit when he was about 30 years old in Matt 3:16. Before that all he could do was the teach the laws of the bible in the temples just as denominations do today. After that God came to him and opened His Spirit to him and his teachings went from the laws of the book to Gods Spirit, the very one he once taught the bible in the temples are the very ones who had him crucified for blaspheme of their bibles.

It is the very same today when one teaches that what Jesus taught they should have and be as He is then all of a sudden the same blasphemous teaching Jesus taut to these is the very same blaspheme today. I cant tell you how many times I have bees called blasphemer simply by repeating that what jesus said you should be and will be IF.

Last edited:

Sethproton

Some would dispute that by all the names I have been called by them LOL

Absolutely and there is only one way it can be understood and that is for the Author of to interpret it for you by Spirit. There is no other way it can be discerned least you have His Spirit to do so. Even Jesus received this discernment by Gods Spirit when he was about 30 years old in Matt 3:16. Before that all he could do was the teach the laws of the bible in the temples just as denominations do today. After that God came to him and opened His Spirit to him and his teachings went from the laws of the book to Gods Spirit, the very one he once taught the bible in the temples are the very ones who had him crucified for blaspheme of their bibles.

It is the very same today when one teaches that what Jesus taught they should have and be as He is then all of a sudden the same blasphemous teaching Jesus taut to these is the very same blaspheme today. I cant tell you how many times I have bees called blasphemer simply by repeating that what jesus said you should be and will be IF.
Are you forgetting that when Jesus was 12, He was explaining scripture to the adults?
He knew truth before the incident at His baptism.

As far as you repeating what Jesus said, I don't see you doing that in our chat, I see your ideas. Not His.

And did you mistype this "the same blasphemous teaching Jesus taut"
You think Jesus taught blasphemy?

rod.ney

Here is your quote " Are you talking about striving for salvation or striving to be obedient?"

All I did was expound on Gods salvation and what it is to be saved of Him in reply to your post. If that is anointing for you I understand why.
So did you " Anoint " ( anointing in your post ) Seth with your oil ( your Twisted [ 2 Peter 3:16 ] say so - man's word as Opposed to God's Word in His inspired scriptures )?! Well maybe you really just meant annoying and NOT anointing! LOL!

Gary Mac

Are you forgetting that when Jesus was 12, He was explaining scripture to the adults?
He knew truth before the incident at His baptism.
I had youth in my group who could and did teach the law as well as any seasoned preacher. That is noting new many at the age of 12 know the truth in the law and can read it and teach it. But most religious folk dont pay attention to a 12 year old do they?

And when that 12 year old grew up to about the age of 30 God came to him and did what by His Spirit? Did He not open all of His heaven to that many by His Spirit? Matt 3:16. Sadly most never mature past what that 12 year old taught and graduate to His Spirit from that pew as jesus did in Matt 3:16 and receive from God yourself. .
As far as you repeating what Jesus said, I don't see you doing that in our chat, I see your ideas. Not His.
You really do not see that Jesus said to be one in the Father with He in you and you in Him as one as he was one in Him in John 17?

And you dont see where Jesus said to be ye therefore perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect in Matt 5:48?

And you dont see where KJesus said the same signs follow those who believe in Mark 16

And you dont see where jesus said that in that day ye shall ask me noting but go to the Father for yourself and He will give it you? john 16:23?

And you really do not see where Jesus said he was sent by God to show you His way, His truth and His life to live it yourself and that he could do noting at all without his Father who sant Him to show you the way to Him?

I dont know what bible you read but it would do you well to read what Jesus said in the one that was of God.

And did you mistype this "the same blasphemous teaching Jesus taut"
You think Jesus taught blasphemy?
Oh heavens no, He was accused of blasphemy by religious folk just as we all are accrued of the same for having from God the same as he had from Him where we are like Him and in His same image and perfect even as our Father in heaven is perfect. These couldn't relate to Jesus perfections in the Father and the same cant relate to it in us all who has the same from God can they? . .

Gary Mac

So did you " Anoint " ( anointing in your post ) Seth with your oil ( your Twisted [ 2 Peter 3:16 ] say so - man's word as Opposed to God's Word in His inspired scriptures )?! Well maybe you really just meant annoying and NOT anointing! LOL!
I didnt anoint anyone at all -- all I can do is repeat that what Jesus said you should be and have from the One who does anoint man by His SPirit.

You seem a little confused about Gods anointing which is by His Spirit be in you. And either His Spirit be in you, Christ in you, Gods anointed by the Spirit that He is or you are not and only an oily mess in carnality left holding a bottle of oil.

Sethproton

I had youth in my group who could and did teach the law as well as any seasoned preacher. That is noting new many at the age of 12 know the truth in the law and can read it and teach it. But most religious folk dont pay attention to a 12 year old do they?

And when that 12 year old grew up to about the age of 30 God came to him and did what by His Spirit? Did He not open all of His heaven to that many by His Spirit? Matt 3:16. Sadly most never mature past what that 12 year old taught and graduate to His Spirit from that pew as jesus did in Matt 3:16 and receive from God yourself. .

You really do not see that Jesus said to be one in the Father with He in you and you in Him as one as he was one in Him in John 17?

And you dont see where Jesus said to be ye therefore perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect in Matt 5:48?

And you dont see where KJesus said the same signs follow those who believe in Mark 16

And you dont see where jesus said that in that day ye shall ask me noting but go to the Father for yourself and He will give it you? john 16:23?

And you really do not see where Jesus said he was sent by God to show you His way, His truth and His life to live it yourself and that he could do noting at all without his Father who sant Him to show you the way to Him?

I dont know what bible you read but it would do you well to read what Jesus said in the one that was of God.

Oh heavens no, He was accused of blasphemy by religious folk just as we all are accrued of the same for having from God the same as he had from Him where we are like Him and in His same image and perfect even as our Father in heaven is perfect. These couldn't relate to Jesus perfections in the Father and the same cant relate to it in us all who has the same from God can they? . .
Then you stated it poorly when you said He taught blasphemy. But I understand now what you meant.

Gary Mac

Then you stated it poorly when you said He taught blasphemy. But I understand now what you meant.
It is blaspheme to the religious mind whos laws are different from the teachings of Jesus Christ. Do you not agree?

Was not Jesus a blasphemer to these who had him convicted of a criminal mind against their beliefs?

yes he was a blasphemer to these. but to we who has the same mind, same Spirit, same disposition know the truth for we are like him in it. I have been accuse of blaspheme over and and over for the same reason Jesus was. We have the same Spirit of God as our mind. Seems you have a difficulty comprehending how Jesus was a blasphemer? But one wo is identified with him the same -- understands.

Sethproton

It is blaspheme to the religious mind whos laws are different from the teachings of Jesus Christ. Do you not agree?

Was not Jesus a blasphemer to these who had him convicted of a criminal mind against their beliefs?

yes he was a blasphemer to these. but to we who has the same mind, same Spirit, same disposition know the truth for we are like him in it. I have been accuse of blaspheme over and and over for the same reason Jesus was. We have the same Spirit of God as our mind. Seems you have a difficulty comprehending how Jesus was a blasphemer? But one wo is identified with him the same -- understands.
Like I said, I understand now.

Ladodgers6

Reason for the question: A member of my extended family has self identified as a proponent of Progressive Christianity. He has enthusiastically embraced Rob Bell and Richard Rohr. My nephew attended private "Christian" schools k-12 followed by Whitworth College and Fuller Seminary in Pasadena. He has been working in campus ministries for two decades. This post isn't about my nephew. It is about the worldview he is caught up in.

The question:

How does Progressive Christianity differ from the modernism of the 20th century?

I am wondering if Progressive Christianity is really a thing. It seems that it is somewhat fuzzy at the edges.

There are a few apologists[1] who have taken up discussing Progressive Christianity. But some of them admit it isn't cohesive.

[1] for example, Alicia Childers

WHAT IS PROGRESSIVE CHRISTIANITY?​

DR. MICHAEL HORTON - WHITE HORSE INN​

Published on 10/11/2020​

Should we think of Jesus more as a model for living than as an object of worship? Did he die on the cross for our sins, or was he just some kind of martyr? Is life in this world more important than the afterlife? According to Michael J. Kruger, the liberal, progressive, or emergent answers to these questions essentially amount to a wholesale abandonment of historic Christianity. Shane Rosenthal discusses this with Dr. Kruger, whose latest book is titled The Ten Commandments of Progressive Christianity.

The link below is a Podcast conversation with Michael J. Kruger regarding Progressive Christianity.

If you have further questions or need help, please reach out.

God Bless!

Ladodgers6

Yes, a good synopsis of Richard Rohr's Contemplative Spirituality. I only became aware of this because old friends, people whom I have respected, became involved with authors and teachers who are not promoting "Historic Christianity." This pattern repeats itself. In the last 30 years I have seen friends who were formerly orthodox wandering into dubious spiritual territory.
These false religions always seem to come around, again and again, dressed up in different clothes, but underneath same bones & skeletons!

Gary Mac

Like I said, I understand now.
Thank you -- Sometimes I have a hard time conveying in writing what I am trying to project. I have no formal education in this and I know my grammar is atrocious. And because of that how I come across to some suffer from them misunderstanding or miscommunication with me and my intent. My only intent and motive is for people to know God and have that intimate relationship with God as Jesus had in the Father ourselves. with He in you and you in Him as one as Jesus was one in Him.

shnarkle

That would take a book to explain. Michael Kruger has written one. I posted this link on Friday. Old people tend to repeat themselves.

The Ten Commandments of Progressive Christianity

This caught my eye: " values questions over answers and being “good” over being “right”"

This is an interesting view because when one's questions are answered with some doctrine that must be accepted rather than explained, we have a serious problem; we have a cult. Certainty breeds complacency.

Being "good" and being "right" are not mutually exclusive propositions either. To say that it is better to be right than good, flies in the face of Christ's parable of the Good Samaritan. We must never forget that the Samaritan was a heretic. There is no point in being right when one is not going to apply the right and true teachings of God. One cannot be good without being right, but one can be right without being good.

Gary Mac

This caught my eye: " values questions over answers and being “good” over being “right”"

This is an interesting view because when one's questions are answered with some doctrine that must be accepted rather than explained, we have a serious problem; we have a cult. Certainty breeds complacency.

Being "good" and being "right" are not mutually exclusive propositions either. To say that it is better to be right than good, flies in the face of Christ's parable of the Good Samaritan. We must never forget that the Samaritan was a heretic. There is no point in being right when one is not going to apply the right and true teachings of God. One cannot be good without being right, but one can be right without being good.
SO trure -- Being right covers a broad spectrum. Catholics are right, Mormons are right, Muslims are right, Baptists, Methodists, COCs, AOGs, nondenominational, all of these are right just ask them.

There is only one right and that is to be the righteousness of God, which is in right standing with Him, He manifest in you and you in Him as one, same mind, same walk as He walks in ti, perfect even your Father in haven is perfect, picked up that cross and continued where Jesus left off.

to the ones who has Jesus crucified for blaspheme were right in their eyes, and just as it is today with our denominations see what they deem as right may actually be what hung Jesus on a cross.