Progressive Christianity: What is it?

Gary Mac

Hopefully we all are striving for that, but at times it seems some worship the traditions more than the Word itsself
But again, it isnt about striving, it isnt about trying, it is about obediance and receiving from God that gift of knowledge. one can strive until he is in a grave and never receive that gift.

Sethproton

But again, it isnt about striving, it isnt about trying, it is about obediance and receiving from God that gift of knowledge. one can strive until he is in a grave and never receive that gift.
If you don't think that obedience takes effort, let me know your secret

Gary Mac

If you don't think that obedience takes effort, let me know your secret
That is exactly my point, it does take an effort. Even Jesus faced this effort, he had to set aside self and receive from God as well as we all do if we are to be of God. Obediance is paramount for success and an effort most are not willing to apply.

Sethproton

That is exactly my point, it does take an effort. Even Jesus faced this effort, he had to set aside self and receive from God as well as we all do if we are to be of God. Obediance is paramount for success and an effort most are not willing to apply.
then why did you say "it isnt about striving," ?

Gary Mac

then why did you say "it isnt about striving," ?

You miss understood or I did not make myself clear -- Most strive for it through laws instead of actually yielding to Him and receive from Him.
We dont strive for obediance, Obediance is a yielding of self to receive from Him. And that does take an effort on our part but that is not striving, it is yielding -- obediance.

On can strive for it all your life and go to a grave never receiving His gift of His life in you.

Are you striving for His kingdom?

Last edited:

Sethproton

You miss understood or I did not make myself clear -- Most strive for it through laws instead of actually yielding to Him and receive from Him.
We dont strive for obediance, Obediance is a yielding of self to receive from Him. And that does take an effort on our part but that is not striving, it is yielding -- obediance.

On can strive for it all your life and go to a grave never receiving His gift of His life in you.

Are you striving for His kingdom?
You lost me. Sounds like double talk. Either obedience takes effort or it does not.

Gary Mac

You lost me. Sounds like double talk. Either obedience takes effort or it does not.
I suppose one could strive for obediance. As I said one can strive for it all your life and go to a grave never receiving the promise of God in you.

As for me I didnt strive for it, I only obeyed and received. If you are striving for it then that is of self. Striving comes through a religious mind where law tries to be followed. Obediance to actually receive comes from a spiritual mind.

Last edited:

Sethproton

I suppose one could strive for obediance. As I said one can strive for it all your life and go to a grave never receiving the promise of God in you.

As for me I didnt strive for it, I only obeyed and received. If you are striving for it then that is of self. Striving comes through a religious mind where law tries to be followed. Obediance to actually receive comes from a spiritual mind.
Are you talking about striving for salvation or striving to be obedient?

Sethproton

Salvation is achieved through obediance to receive from God His salvation from self. Obediance is paramount for His salvation. Salvation is God manifest in you.
Friend it is difficult talking with you. You never seem to really read what is presented to you. Your responses don't focus on what was said. You just comment in a general way

civic

Its not about "striving" its about faith and resting in the finished work of Christ. The Fruit of the Spirit is a result of abiding, not striving.

hope this helps !!!

civic

Reason for the question: A member of my extended family has self identified as a proponent of Progressive Christianity. He has enthusiastically embraced Rob Bell and Richard Rohr. My nephew attended private "Christian" schools k-12 followed by Whitworth College and Fuller Seminary in Pasadena. He has been working in campus ministries for two decades. This post isn't about my nephew. It is about the worldview he is caught up in.

The question:

How does Progressive Christianity differ from the modernism of the 20th century?

I am wondering if Progressive Christianity is really a thing. It seems that it is somewhat fuzzy at the edges.

There are a few apologists[1] who have taken up discussing Progressive Christianity. But some of them admit it isn't cohesive.

[1] for example, Alicia Childers
The "seeker friendly" church appeals to the worldly and they do things that are appealing to the world to attract new members. They are no different than the world and the world loves them because they can live like the world and have their cake and eat it too. There is no need to change anything about your life or lifestyle. You can believe what you want and be a member of that church. Jesus as Lord means absolutely nothing since there is nothing to give up.

hope this helps !!!

Gary Mac

Friend it is difficult talking with you. You never seem to really read what is presented to you. Your responses don't focus on what was said. You just comment in a general way
Here is your quote " Are you talking about striving for salvation or striving to be obedient?"

All I did was expound on Gods salvation and what it is to be saved of Him in reply to your post. If that is anointing for you I understand why.

Sethproton

Here is your quote " Are you talking about striving for salvation or striving to be obedient?"

All I did was expound on Gods salvation and what it is to be saved of Him in reply to your post. If that is anointing for you I understand why.
So, the issue was about striving, right? I asked you to clarify what you were striving for. That was the main point, but neither the word strive nor the concept are in your response

Gary Mac

Basically a Christianized version of atheism or secularism.
Agreed, very few who actually follow the way of Jesus to be as he was in the Father as he was so clear that we be the same in God as he was in God. John 17 is a moot issue for these, the God Jesus prayed to for us to be as He is as Jesus was in Him.

Sethproton

Agreed, very few who actually follow the way of Jesus to be as he was in the Father as he was so clear that we be the same in God as he was in God. John 17 is a moot issue for these, the God Jesus prayed to for us to be as He is as Jesus was in Him.
Are you a phraisee? Do you say in your heart, "I thank God I am not like other church people."?

Gary Mac

Are you a phraisee? Do you say in your heart, "I thank God I am not like other church people."?
My job is to be that witness of God who manifests in man Himself by His SPirit just as He did in jesus in Matt 3:16 and others who He was manifest in and is today.

Other church people? His church is like Him, Christ like, no different at all from what jesus was in Him, we walk as He walks in His same light, same mind, same Spirit, same anointing that Jesus shared in the Father.

What church are you comparing His church to?

Sethproton

My job is to be that witness of God who manifests in man Himself by His SPirit just as He did in jesus in Matt 3:16 and others who He was manifest in and is today.

Other church people? His church is like Him, Christ like, no different at all from what jesus was in Him, we walk as He walks in His same light, same mind, same Spirit, same anointing that Jesus shared in the Father.

What church are you comparing His church to?
I don't know what you are talking about. I was just wondering about what you were feeing as you come across as self-righteous, And I know I may be misunderstanding you. Easy to misjudge people here