Provision in the Wilderness

Sethproton

A friend asked me for a Biblical answer as to where the Jews got all the oil and flour needed for sacrifices while they wandered in the desert.
Anyone know of a verse that clarifies this issue?

Hawkeye

A friend asked me for a Biblical answer as to where the Jews got all the oil and flour needed for sacrifices while they wandered in the desert.
Anyone know of a verse that clarifies this issue?
They probably borrowed it from their brother Israelites.....the tribes of Rueben, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, Zebulon, Gad, Asher, Dan, Naphtali, Joseph and Benjamin.

The above paragraph is satire...................

The Jews were from the tribe of Judah and later became the dominant tribe of the nation of Judah [I Kings 12:19-24] which consisted then of Judah, Benjamin and Levi. The remaining tribes which now included the tribes of the sons of Joseph, Manasseh and Ephraim were never called Jews but participated in the 40 year trek in the desert. They later became known as Israel [II Kings 16:1-6] .....the first place in the scriptures where the word "Jew" is used.....and they are at war against Israel!

To answer your question.....[Deuteronomy 29:5] And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot. Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: that ye might know that I am the LORD your God.

I'm sure that Yahweh could have also provided them with oil and flour....if needed....but they were not required to sacrifice while in the desert.

The following takes place shortly after Moses had died and the Israelites had finally crossed Jordan and no longer under the influence of Egypt and the forty year punishment:

KJV [Joshua 5: 2-12] At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time. And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins. And this is the cause why Joshua did circumcise: All the people that came out of Egypt, that were males, even all the men of war, died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt. Now all the people that came out were circumcised: but all the people that were born in the wilderness by the way as they came forth out of Egypt, them they had not circumcised. For the children of Israel walked forty years in the wilderness, till all the people that were men of war, which came out of Egypt, were consumed, because they obeyed not the voice of the LORD: unto whom the LORD sware that he would not shew them the land, which the LORD sware unto their fathers that he would give us, a land that floweth with milk and honey.
And their children, whom he raised up in their stead, them Joshua circumcised: for they were uncircumcised, because they had not circumcised them by the way.

{"You can read about the above in Numbers 14: 20-35"}

To continue with Joshua..............

And it came to pass, when they had done circumcising all the people, that they abode in their places in the camp, till they were whole. And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you. Wherefore the name of the place is called Gilgal unto this day.

The Passover at Gilgal

And the children of Israel encamped in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the month at even in the plains of Jericho. And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day. And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.

Passover had not been kept for forty years. The last Passover had been in the first month out of Egypt [Numbers 9: 1-14] but then Israel sinned again by not entering the Promised land and confronting the giants [Numbers 13]. This then brought on the events of Numbers 14 mentioned above.

Sethproton

They probably borrowed it from their brother Israelites.....the tribes of Rueben, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, Zebulon, Gad, Asher, Dan, Naphtali, Joseph and Benjamin.

The above paragraph is satire...................

The Jews were from the tribe of Judah and later became the dominant tribe of the nation of Judah [I Kings 12:19-24] which consisted then of Judah, Benjamin and Levi. The remaining tribes which now included the tribes of the sons of Joseph, Manasseh and Ephraim were never called Jews but participated in the 40 year trek in the desert. They later became known as Israel [II Kings 16:1-6] .....the first place in the scriptures where the word "Jew" is used.....and they are at war against Israel!

To answer your question.....[Deuteronomy 29:5] And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot. Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: that ye might know that I am the LORD your God.

I'm sure that Yahweh could have also provided them with oil and flour....if needed....but they were not required to sacrifice while in the desert.

The following takes place shortly after Moses had died and the Israelites had finally crossed Jordan and no longer under the influence of Egypt and the forty year punishment:

KJV [Joshua 5: 2-12] At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time. And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins. And this is the cause why Joshua did circumcise: All the people that came out of Egypt, that were males, even all the men of war, died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt. Now all the people that came out were circumcised: but all the people that were born in the wilderness by the way as they came forth out of Egypt, them they had not circumcised. For the children of Israel walked forty years in the wilderness, till all the people that were men of war, which came out of Egypt, were consumed, because they obeyed not the voice of the LORD: unto whom the LORD sware that he would not shew them the land, which the LORD sware unto their fathers that he would give us, a land that floweth with milk and honey.
And their children, whom he raised up in their stead, them Joshua circumcised: for they were uncircumcised, because they had not circumcised them by the way.

{"You can read about the above in Numbers 14: 20-35"}

To continue with Joshua..............

And it came to pass, when they had done circumcising all the people, that they abode in their places in the camp, till they were whole. And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you. Wherefore the name of the place is called Gilgal unto this day.

The Passover at Gilgal

And the children of Israel encamped in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the month at even in the plains of Jericho. And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day. And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.

Passover had not been kept for forty years. The last Passover had been in the first month out of Egypt [Numbers 9: 1-14] but then Israel sinned again by not entering the Promised land and confronting the giants [Numbers 13]. This then brought on the events of Numbers 14 mentioned above.
Thanks for the verses and ideas. It does point to certain interesting ideas. and if it is true that they did not celebrate passover or make any sacrifices or offerings in the wilderness, then that answers the question,
I will look again at everything you wrote.