Psalm 5 - Does God love everybody?

I'm a calvinist, and due to eternity, we were understood to believe when Christ tasted death for us. Once again, someone who doesn't fully comprehend the idea of eternity. Granted, no one truly understands it.
Except you who undersands that which Scripture does not state; ie, "we were understood to believe when Christ tasted death for us."

The Bible doesn't use the word "hate" as narrowly as we use it. For example, Jesus says in Luke 14:26, “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple." It is universally understood by all Christians, regardless of whether they are Calvinist or Arminian, that Jesus is not teaching we should hate our families in the way that we typically use the word "hate." The more natural interpretation of this verse is that to be hated is to be less preferred. Thus, by saying we should hate our families, Jesus is simply saying that we should prefer Him and His kingdom over our loved ones and their interests.
The natural interpretation is that we are to have so much love for God, that our love for "father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also" appears as hate. This is beyond the idea of love less. It is saying that our love for anything other then God is so much less then our love for God, that it reaches down to the hate scale. It isn't as simple as preference.

The Bible doesn't use the word "hate" as narrowly as we use it. For example, Jesus says in Luke 14:26, “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple." It is universally understood by all Christians, regardless of whether they are Calvinist or Arminian, that Jesus is not teaching we should hate our families in the way that we typically use the word "hate." The more natural interpretation of this verse is that to be hated is to be less preferred. Thus, by saying we should hate our families, Jesus is simply saying that we should prefer Him and His kingdom over our loved ones and their interests.
what christ means there refers
to wife, mother, etc. as
relations of this world…the flesh and
in negative sense. so hate is fully
correct there as a term.

in the same sense (and there are other examples)
that abraham did not consult
with others about what God
told him to do.

Could you provide the context of scripture which mentions, "we were understood to believe when Christ tasted death for us."
Can you provide any scriptural context as how to understand how eternity works as a flow of actual time, and not some best guess?
Are you saying you made a statement that you neither understand nor found in scripture.

Could you provide the context of scripture which mentions, "we were understood to believe when Christ tasted death for us."

Are you saying you made a statement that you neither understand nor found in scripture.
No, I am showing how you are making a statement while having no idea what statement you are making. Eternity is not the same as time here on earth. Those saints in the Old Testament were saved and brought to heaven when Jesus died on the cross. Yet God already understood and saw Abraham as saved, even though, as it speaks in Hebrews I believe, Abraham was looking forward to Christ. God was able to justify Abraham at that time, because the cross is not a point in time, but broke through eternity. Its affect, salvation, travelled throughout all eternity, throughout all time. This is why Jesus could not be only human. This is why Jesus had to be God. There is no human who has ever died whose death affected eternity. Only Jesus, who is God, only His death tore through the temple veil, tore through eternity, by which God could now reconcile with man, and not only those living when Christ died, but through all time.

No, I am showing how you are making a statement while having no idea what statement you are making. Eternity is not the same as time here on earth. Those saints in the Old Testament were saved and brought to heaven when Jesus died on the cross. Yet God already understood and saw Abraham as saved, even though, as it speaks in Hebrews I believe, Abraham was looking forward to Christ. God was able to justify Abraham at that time, because the cross is not a point in time, but broke through eternity. Its affect, salvation, travelled throughout all eternity, throughout all time. This is why Jesus could not be only human. This is why Jesus had to be God. There is no human who has ever died whose death affected eternity. Only Jesus, who is God, only His death tore through the temple veil, tore through eternity, by which God could now reconcile with man, and not only those living when Christ died, but through all time.
As you understand it, right?

Yesterday, my family was reading through Psalm 5. Afterwards, my daughter asked a question, based on verse 5 "The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers."

She said "Sure that must mean that God hates what the evildoers do, because God loves everybody, right?"

What are your thoughts?
No; it means what it says.

Ps. 5:4-6 (LITV)
4 For You are not a God enjoying wickedness; nor shall evil live with You.
5 The boasters shall not set themselves before Your eyes. You hate all workers of iniquity.
6 You shall destroy those speaking lies; Jehovah will despise the man of blood and deceit.

No; it means what it says.

Ps. 5:4-6 (LITV)
4 For You are not a God enjoying wickedness; nor shall evil live with You.
5 The boasters shall not set themselves before Your eyes. You hate all workers of iniquity.
6 You shall destroy those speaking lies; Jehovah will despise the man of blood and deceit.
I put a googly-eyed heart Like on this, not because I like that God will destroy Liars; but because God Hates Liars that much. This is a Resolution Post that resolves the issue of God's Hatred...

I'm beginning to think that Sola Scriptura is the most important thing that needs to be supported. I think these days it's the other side that ignores some of All Scripture. We're Compatibalists and Sola Fidests, so we don't ignore Scripture; let that sink in...

Last edited:
Why emphasize hate over love
Regarding the Verses David Posted, they are about the Hatred of God; right? If he Posted about the Love of God, and I responded; that response would have been due to his Verses; right? The emphasis is due to the Verses...

Would you agree that his Verses teach that God will destroy Liars because of his Hatred for them? It seems to read that way...

Right?

Do you agree with Sola Scriptura?

Yes; and I knew you would ask this, so I was prepared...

God Loves me although I Lie. Thus the Liars Jesus speaks of are Reprobate Liars. God Loved me before I did Good or Bad...

You Lie, and God Loves you. Are you saying you do not do anything which is dishonest; which is a Lie because dishonesty is the antithesis of Honesty? Since God Loves you and you are a Liar; God Hates Reprobate Liars. God has always Loved you from Eternity Past, and he does not Change lest you be destroyed Like a Reprobate Liar...

You are the man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes; and I knew you would ask this, so I was prepared...

God Loves me although I Lie; and I'm no big Liar. Thus the Liars Jesus speaks of Reprobate Liars...

You Lie, and God Loves you. Are you saying you do not do anything which is dishonest; which is a Lie because dishonesty is the antithesis of Honesty? Since God Loves you and you are a Liar; God Hates Reprobate Liars. God has always Loved you from Eternity Past, and he does not Change lest you be destroyed Like a Reprobate Liar...
When we Confess our Sins, he is Faithful to Forgive us. This places you in an interesting position; do you now Confess and be Forgiven, or do you continue to Sin?

Why emphasize hate over love. The gospel is about Gods love for sinners , not hate .
It's not emphasised (another wilful misrepresentation by you); but, it needs to be pointed out, to bring balance to the sentimental "God is only love" brigade, who tend to ignore God's other attributes.

Or maybe as your understanding of it doesn’t necessarily coincide with the scriptures explaining of it . Who is to say the Arminian view is incorrect, Calvinists ?

?
God, but I guess He isn't that important. To be honest, I am not at any kind of war with Arminians, because the only sticking point I would truly have, are those Arminians who deny eternal security, or perseverance of the saints. I grew up in an Arminian Baptist Church, but they were rock solid on perseverance of the saints and eternal security. You wouldn't last long there if you didn't believe it. A calvinistic belief usually comes with study and research over time. The gospel message is not a calvinist message or an arminian message, though some corrupt the gospel all the time. The gospel is the good new of Christ, which does not contain a calvinist message, or an arminian message, or technically any other theological belief other than as Paul put it, Christ and Christ crucified. For instance, in my lean towards calvinism, I find an understanding of election as simple as, if you get saved (truly saved), then God had chosen you in ages past. If you die in your sins, God didn't choose you. Some say calvinists believe that God chose people for hell. I differ at that point because I see going to hell as a default point. There is no need to choose people to go to hell, if they are already going there. The change is that God chose to save some from going to hell. So their condition changes, while everyone else's remains set to default.

Back