Q & A: Creationism

CrowCross

I totally agree.

But to his credit, he did preface his comment with "some evidence."

So he has an escape hatch he can fall back on, such as:

"All those scholars aren't going on evidence -- just conjecture."

Or something like that.
Some of the onus should be on Temujin...that is providing "some evidence" that Jesus didn't exist.

I yhink He fails to realize just how much has been written about Jesus...that's not in the bible.

AV1611VET

Some of the onus should be on Temujin...that is providing "some evidence" that Jesus didn't exist.
Ya ... but they have a mantra that covers that:

"You can't prove a negative."

Which, in their mindset, is also saying: "You can't evidence a negative."
CrowCross said:
I think He fails to realize just how much has been written about Jesus...that's not in the bible.
Do you really expect a scholar to investigate before he communicates?

What do you think gave us Thalidomide, the Challenger, and the Hindenburg disasters?

Not to mention the Deepwater Horizon, Chernobyl, Vioxx, Pluto, L'Aquila and the Florida footbridge collapse?

But boy ... let someone come on here with a deconversion story, and that's all we hear, is how they investigated the matter.

"I was a Christian once, until I investigated [insert miracle here]."

It's sad.

Temujin

Exactly. There is none.

Unbelievers have done the same; do you have point in saying that?
No, unbelievers haven't been killing each other over Christian doctrine. You are insisting that I disprove something that is not only not in evidence but which Christians don't even agree on.

Temujin

John 6: 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me—

Temujin....please don't get anoid at the Christians if you have not been drawn and taught by God. Then again maybe you have been drawn or are being drawn...after all you are in a theological discussion.

The second point is...have you been granted the ability to come to Christ?
John 6:65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

But, if you feel the need to battle..to show there is no God and no need for redemption...I suppose that's on you.
Thank you for your concern, but I am not annoyed by Christians, nor am I upset that I don't have the ability to come to Christ. I don't have the ability to come to unicorns either. I'll just have to cope. I certainly don't intend to battle to prove that there is no God. The battle is to prevent some of those who do believe in God from screwing up the world in His name.

Temujin

No offense, Temujin, but I highly doubt you're open minded on this.

You say you are, but it's probably because you just want credit for it.

Consider this, from Wikipedia:

SOURCE

This should clinch it for you, except for one thing you said:

You said, "Some evidence that he [sic] existed at all would be a start."

THEN you claim you're "open minded."

Sorry -- I'm not buying it.
I have said before, and say again that I'm quite prepared to believe that there was an historical figure that equates with who is now known as Jesus. That is being open-minded. Believing in his divinity without evidence would be allowing your mind to fall out. I have seen no such evidence.

evoguy313

So, the Bible is literally true because the Bible says that it is literally true, and also says that Jesus says that it is literally true. Who can honestly quibble with that, other than anyone with an ounce of logic?
It is truly something to behold, isn't it?

AV1611VET

I have said before, and say again that I'm quite prepared to believe that there was an historical figure that equates with who is now known as Jesus.
Yes, I know.

This is how you worded it:

Eyewitness statements are notoriously unreliable, however old they may be. Don't bother looking for evidence of Jesus walking on water. Some evidence that he existed at all would be a start. (I am open-minded on this). I don't see why I should be expected to believe that a person who may have lived 2000 years ago walked on water just because you can't find any eyewitnesses still alive. I am quite prepared to believe that there is a story that he did, and even that some people who lived 100 years later, believed the story and wrote it down. That the story is true, is another matter.

Have you considered my reply from Wikipedia a "start" now? or are you now going to recuse to "some evidence" and stay adamant?

Howie

Exactly. There is none.

No, unbelievers haven't been killing each other over Christian doctrine.
I never said they were. However, they do kill each other over unbeliever doctrines, don't they?
You are insisting that I disprove something that is not only not in evidence but which Christians don't even agree on.
Baloney. Use your brain instead of your emotions.