Qantas: Passengers will need to be vaccinated for international flights

Temujin

Septextura

Good idea. What's the problem?

It's funny because it's an island, and it started as a prison colony.

The only other option is by boat to Papua New Guinea via the Torres Strait.

Then it gets more interesting. This is a guide from someone at the Lonely Planet forums how to get from Singapore to Queensland. So I guess it should work in the opposite direction.

First you need to get to Jayapura in West Papua (regular inter-island passenger services in Indonesia through Pelni), then from there to Vanimo in PNG. There are buses from Jayapura to the border, which you need to cross on foot (arrange the visa in Jayapura), then another bus to Vanimo. There may still be regular passenger services (by sea) from Jayapura to Vanimo, as an alternative.

Then you need to get to Port Moresby. There are regular passenger ships from Vanimo to Popondetta, in the Oro province (via Wewak, Madang and Lae). From there you can continue by sea to Alotau, from where it may be possible to arrange a ship to Port Moresby, but as far as I know there are no regular passenger services (that may have changed). The other option is to walk the Kokoda Track (PMV to Kokoda, then 6 days' trekking over the mountains, then another PMV from Sogeri) to Port Moresby.

From Port Moresby, you can catch a Hiritano Highway PMV (Public Motor Vehicle - actually a truck) at Erima. They go as far as Malalaua, and may go all the way to Kerema, depending on the road condition. From Kerema, you need to do some village-hopping all the way to Daru in the Western province (ask around at the wharf - it will take a while to get there). Stops may include Ihu and Baimuru. Once you are in Daru, you need to get to one of the Torres Straits Islands, which straddle the maritime border between PNG and Australia. Locals have the right to travel back and forth. Once you get to Thursday Island, you should be able to legally enter Australia, but check with the immigration authorities if you don't hold Australian citizenship (even if you do!)

I wouldn't expect to complete the journey from Singapore to the Australian mainland in anything less than a month, if you are lucky (now, to be honest I haven't gone beyond Kerema, but did complete most of the rest).

Temujin

It's funny because it's an island, and it started as a prison colony.

The only other option is by boat to Papua New Guinea via the Torres Strait.

Then it gets more interesting. This is a guide from someone at the Lonely Planet forums how to get from Singapore to Queensland. So I guess it should work in the opposite direction.
The US started as a prison colony also. More felons were shipped there than to Australia.

I simply don't see what you are driving at. There are limited ways to get to Australia. If one of those requires a vaccination to be accessed, that's a good thing.

J regia

That's OK.
And why shouldn't people who fly in be required to be vaccinated, given that we have few new cases and no deaths now?

And the only reason that the convicts with minor offences were sent here was because they could no longer be sent across the Atlantic after the American War of Independence. More serious cases, such as stealing a horse, were executed.

From the Maidstone court records, a cousin of one of my great great grandfathers was sent here in 1832 for 8 years for stealing two of his brother's rabbits. Perhaps he sent back a postcard from Sydney saying the weather's great, wish you were here, since he stayed on and even outlived his youngest siblings in Kent. And after his second wife died in 1864 he married a 17 year old in 1867 and she only survived him by two years after she gave birth to 11 children. His youngest daughter was born in 1891 and died in 1953, 142 years after her father was born.

Last edited:

Authentic Nouveau

The US started as a prison colony also. More felons were shipped there than to Australia.

I simply don't see what you are driving at. There are limited ways to get to Australia. If one of those requires a vaccination to be accessed, that's a good thing.
Don't you claim to be a jail worker?
Are you writing history for America?

Authentic Nouveau

Australia's national carrier Qantas will require future international travelers to prove they have been vaccinated against Covid-19 before flying.

Quantas may NOT resume international routes for 6-9 months I suspect they are bleeding and will go belly up.

Septextura

Quantas may NOT resume international routes for 6-9 months I suspect they are bleeding and will go belly up.

Well, I've described the one alternative. I don't see that becoming popular. Cruise ships will also require vaccination.

I don't think choosing Australia to spearhead this was a coincidence.

Authentic Nouveau

Well, I've described the one alternative. I don't see that becoming popular. Cruise ships will also require vaccination.

I don't think choosing Australia to spearhead this was a coincidence.
I could be wrong but cruise ships appear doomed.

The "rooms" are small the they pump air from room to room.

We had thanks giving dinner and 3 nurses there cast doubt on the accuracy of testing also.

Septextura

We had thanks giving dinner and 3 nurses there cast doubt on the accuracy of testing also.

Australia has no other choice but air travel, and airlines will be kept in business with bailouts/incentives even if unlucrative.

Temujin

Don't you claim to be a jail worker?
Are you writing history for America?
Oh no. I retired from working in prisons (we don't call them jails, sweetie.) many years ago. I'm mostly retired now, thank you for asking. I'll leave my relatives in the US to write the history.

J regia

And did the nurses think that the daily death toll from giving thanks will be over 3000 deaths per day before election day?

TeabagSalad

Australia has implemented a strict quarantine system for anyone entering the country (from most other countries) . Two weeks isolated in a hotel, which costs 3000ASD (2250USD) for the first adult, then 1000ASD for any additional adults.