Quantum physics and magic

SteveB

I have to admit, I never thought I'd see this.

A quantum property dubbed ‘magic’ could be the key to explaining how space and time emerged, a new mathematical analysis by three RIKEN physicists suggests.

A quantum property dubbed ‘magic’ could be the key to explaining how space and time emerged, a new mathematical analysis by three RIKEN physicists suggests.
It's always amusing to see how theoretical physicists try to reduce their inherent nerdiness by inventing odd names for things. "WIMPs", "beauty" and "charm" spring to mind. I had not heard of "magic" before, but it's part of the pattern.

The article was interesting though, thanks.

In Matlab: "M = magic(3) returns an n-by-n matrix constructed from the integers 1 through n^2 with equal row and column sums. The order n must be a scalar greater than or equal to 3."

Example -

Code:
M = magic(3)

M =

8    1    6
    3    5    7
    4    9    2

It is called a magic square because the sum of the elements in each column is the same.

Code:
sum(M) =

15    15    15

This is also true for the sum of the diagonal elements have the same sum.

Code:
sum(diag(M)) =

________

In Matlab: "M = magic(3) returns an n-by-n matrix constructed from the integers 1 through n^2 with equal row and column sums. The order n must be a scalar greater than or equal to 3."

Example -

Code:
M = magic(3)

M =

8    1    6
    3    5    7
    4    9    2

It is called a magic square because the sum of the elements in each column is the same.

Code:
sum(M) =

15    15    15

This is also true for the sum of the diagonal elements have the same sum.

Code:
sum(diag(M)) =

________
So the function, Magic, is defined by the designer?

So the function, Magic, is defined by the designer?

Sometimes I am on the side that mathematics is inherently a property of our universe and people discover its permutations, and sometimes I am on the side that mathematics is invented by humans in order to provide structure to our observations.

In either case the discoverer or the inventor gets to name it in any way she/he wants to name it. As I understand it, the Magic Square was initially (invented / discovered) by Kraitichik in 1942.

Since God made us in His image, and because of this image bearing attribute we are enabled to invent / discover how our universe works unlike any other.

____________ ?

Sometimes I am on the side that mathematics is inherently a property of our universe and people discover its permutations, and sometimes I am on the side that mathematics is invented by humans in order to provide structure to our observations.

In either case the discoverer or the inventor gets to name it in any way she/he wants to name it. As I understand it, the Magic Square was initially (invented / discovered) by Kraitichik in 1942.

Since God made us in His image, and because of this image bearing attribute we are enabled to invent / discover how our universe works unlike any other.

____________ ?

I'm always on the side of mathematical functions that give clarity to the cosmos. Just not necessarily the approximations developed by humans.

For years I've argued that if the first verse of the Bible was stated in mathematical terms, it'd be a compilation of at least 5 million volumes, at 1000 pages per volume, and the rest of the Bible would be several billion volumes.

And history's finest scientific minds would be stuck on page one, volume one, for the past several thousand years. And each generation of scientists would have several volumes of notes with questions and speculations that appear to make sense. Ultimately leaving us today with billions of books, from hundreds of generations of scientists, none of whom actually understood it.

This is why I'm grateful that God chose the basic human language to describe it in simple human terms, simple enough for children to grasp.

I'm always on the side of mathematical functions that give clarity to the cosmos. Just not necessarily the approximations developed by humans.

For years I've argued that if the first verse of the Bible was stated in mathematical terms, it'd be a compilation of at least 5 million volumes, at 1000 pages per volume, and the rest of the Bible would be several billion volumes.

And history's finest scientific minds would be stuck on page one, volume one, for the past several thousand years. And each generation of scientists would have several volumes of notes with questions and speculations that appear to make sense. Ultimately leaving us today with billions of books, from hundreds of generations of scientists, none of whom actually understood it.

This is why I'm grateful that God chose the basic human language to describe it in simple human terms, simple enough for children to grasp.

Although we are slow learners, children become fathers and mothers and have passed along knowledge as they should have, even though that knowledge was still in the process of being formed as it still is today.

Back in the day, the Hebrew (low resolution) universe looked like this:

The Hebrew Universe.jpg

God wasn't concerned about their observations or their model that described the physical world. Apparently, there were more important factors that required His own intervention that we could not resolve on our own.

Last edited:

The idea of quantum entanglement came from an Einstein thought experiment attempting to dispute Quantum Theory and in particular the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Einstein imagined two electrons that were resonated to have an identical momentum. He could then measure the momentum of one and then the position of the other to any desired degree of precision. And thus precisely ascertaining the momentum and position of the original in opposition to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Bohr countered by claiming that measuring one particle would affect the other (quantum entanglement) which Einstein referred to as spooky.

The idea of quantum entanglement came from an Einstein thought experiment attempting to dispute Quantum Theory and in particular the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Einstein imagined two electrons that were resonated to have an identical momentum. He could then measure the momentum of one and then the position of the other to any desired degree of precision. And thus precisely ascertaining the momentum and position of the original in opposition to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Bohr countered by claiming that measuring one particle would affect the other (quantum entanglement) which Einstein referred to as spooky.

The term "magic" here refers to a mathematical measure of the difficulty for a classical computer to simulate a quantum state. Calculating the probability of a measurement outcome using Schrodinger's equation sometimes provides two solutions. From a purely mathematical perspective these two solutions are calculations that show the sum of the products of wave-functions - a superposition of quantum states. "Entanglement is a type of superposition, but not every superposition is also entangled".

The SciTechDaily article in the OP provides a stipulative definition of the word "magic":

"The team came across ‘magic’, which is a mathematical measure of how difficult a quantum state is to simulate using an ordinary classical (non-quantum) computer. Their calculations showed that in a chaotic system almost any state will evolve into one that is ‘maximally magical’—the most difficult to simulate."

-----> Is the word stipulatively defined as "magic", another form of murphy's law?

“But just considering the degree of entanglement
on the boundary cannot explain all the properties
of black holes, for instance, how their interiors can
grow,”

_______

Last edited:
The term "magic" here refers to a mathematical measure of the difficulty for a classical computer to simulate a quantum state. Calculating the probability of a measurement outcome using Schrodinger's equation sometimes provides two solutions. From a purely mathematical perspective these two solutions are calculations that show the sum of the products of wave-functions - a superposition of quantum states. "Entanglement is a type of superposition, but not every superposition is also entangled".

The SciTechDaily article in the OP provides a stipulative definition of the word "magic":

"The team came across ‘magic’, which is a mathematical measure of how difficult a quantum state is to simulate using an ordinary classical (non-quantum) computer. Their calculations showed that in a chaotic system almost any state will evolve into one that is ‘maximally magical’—the most difficult to simulate."

-----> Is the word stipulatively defined as "magic", another form of murphy's law?

“But just considering the degree of entanglement
on the boundary cannot explain all the properties
of black holes, for instance, how their interiors can
grow,”

_______
My physics teacher in high school had a slinky that went the length of the room and ripple tanks to teach about waves. He made learning interesting.

Last edited:
My physics teacher in high school had a slinky that went the length of the room and ripple tanks to teach about waves. He made learning interesting.
As a college physics professor of mine said, If you know everything about a wave then you know everything about physics including Quantum Mechanics.

Yes! Demonstrations and labs were a lot of fun for me too.

_______
The demonstration that I liked was when this teacher had this female student touch one end of a Van de Graff generator while he turned it on. Her hair straightened out in every direction like pine needles. Luckily she thought it was funny too. Another was this suitcase that had a built-in gyroscope. You could only carry the suitcase in one direction with the gyro on - probably a good prank to play on bell hops. There were may others but much too numerous to get into. Like the time this fellow classmate mixed sulfur with charcoal and was putting it to the flame before the instructor stopped him (he had just reinvented gun powder minus the potassium nitrate).

Attachments

• President_Jimmy_Carter_in_Oak_Ridge_(7071648945)_(2).jpg
    President_Jimmy_Carter_in_Oak_Ridge_(7071648945)_(2).jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 2
The demonstration that I liked was when this teacher had this female student touch one end of a Van de Graff generator while he turned it on. Her hair straightened out in every direction like pine needles. Luckily she thought it was funny too. Another was this suitcase that had a built-in gyroscope. You could only carry the suitcase in one direction with the gyro on - probably a good prank to play on bell hops. There were may others but much too numerous to get into. Like the time this fellow classmate mixed sulfur with charcoal and was putting it to the flame before the instructor stopped him (he had just reinvented gun powder minus the potassium nitrate).

Memories:

A handful of students including myself found a Van de Graaff generator in the basement of the physics department, turned it on ( of course ), and all of us became electrifyingly uncomfortable very quickly.

We turned it off faster than we turned it on, and I remember only one of us returning to the basement other than myself afterward. I don't believe that we were too curious.

Back