Question about the Rosary

TheLayman

Happy New Year to all. I don't offer this as a debate question, this is more like a trivia question that is making me crazy. I was raised Catholic (very catholic) and one of my grandmothers and an aunt prayed the rosary everyday at least once a day. They new every feast by heart without skipping a beat. So here's the question...on occasion (and I don't remember what the occasion would be as it is almost unimaginable that they would ever short cut anything having to do with prayer) they would say an abbreviated form of the rosary which used only one decade (perhaps as we began a travel somewhere). I can't recall exactly but if my memory serves (I haven't been around anyone praying the rosary in over 40 years) one of the prayers changed coming back to the cross. I was sure this had a name (such as a "Ave" but that isn't it) but after much googling I cannot find it if such a thing exists. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Happy New Year to all. I don't offer this as a debate question, this is more like a trivia question that is making me crazy. I was raised Catholic (very catholic) and one of my grandmothers and an aunt prayed the rosary everyday at least once a day. They new every feast by heart without skipping a beat. So here's the question...on occasion (and I don't remember what the occasion would be as it is almost unimaginable that they would ever short cut anything having to do with prayer) they would say an abbreviated form of the rosary which used only one decade (perhaps as we began a travel somewhere). I can't recall exactly but if my memory serves (I haven't been around anyone praying the rosary in over 40 years) one of the prayers changed coming back to the cross. I was sure this had a name (such as a "Ave" but that isn't it) but after much googling I cannot find it if such a thing exists. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
When you pray the Rosary, you start on the crucifix with the Apostles Creed. The Rosary is completed by praying the "Hail Holy Queen" after the fifth decade is completed. This is prayed on the center peace of the Rosary which is usually an image of Mary, but sometimes a saint. I know of no Rosary prayers that are completed on the crucifix.

Are you talking about the "Oh My Jesus, save us from the fires of Hell, lead all souls to heaven, especially those most need of thy mercy" prayer? That prayer is prayed after the completion of each decade before the "Glory Be." Though not everyone has that tradition of praying the Rosary. I think that is a Polish custom.

There is another devotion that uses the Rosary, but the prayers are different. This is the "Divine Mercy Novena." Here, on the beads you pray "For sake of your sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world." At the beginning of a decade you say "Eternal Father, I offer you the body and blood, soul and divinity of your dearly beloved Son in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world." Are you talking about that?

TheLayman

Okay..."the Novena," that's the word the little file guy in my head was looking for. So it wasn't a shortened form of the rosary but rather different prayers? Thanks for you answer and you will have to forgive me as I working with very old fragmented memories...but the word "Novena" is definitely the word I was looking for (okay brain cramp, you can go away now). So when you pray the "Divine Mercy Novena" you pray "Eternal Father..." on the single bead and then on the decade you pray "for sake of sorrowful...?" If so this must be the reason I remember it being shorter...shorter prayers not fewer. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out with that.

TheLayman