Question concerning the sheep

How are you relating that to the addressed point?

What is there about the divine council--which one doesn't find divine?

Psalm 82:1---English Standard Version
1 God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
What does "like one of us" mean? (Gen 3:22)

Are we omnipotent? Omniscience? Omnipresent?

So--you haven't revealed to us how many gods you believe were involved here:

John 10:34-35---English Standard Version
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’?
35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken—

Could you explain that for us?

Still waiting on someone to explain this for us?

What does "like one of us" mean? (Gen 3:22)

Exactly what is stated:

Genesis 3:22---King James Version
22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Are we omnipotent? Omniscience? Omnipresent?

Where do we find any of those terms in Genesis3:22?

How are you relating that to the addressed point?

CrowCross said:
Not the way you define god....for example the gods you speak of are not divine.

Crowcross?

Exactly what is stated:

22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Where do we find any of those terms in Genesis3:22?
... omnipotent? Omniscience? Omnipresent?...Is that not what God is? Did you not pot..."he man is become as one of us". Is not one of us a God?

dberrie2020, they say when you're digging a hole and can't get out.....stop digging.

... omnipotent? Omniscience? Omnipresent?...Is that not what God is? Did you not pot..."he man is become as one of us". Is not one of us a God?

dberrie2020, they say when you're digging a hole and can't get out.....stop digging.

Then you might want to stop digging, IMO.

The verse assigns the specific area of "become as one of us"--

It states nothing about "omnipotent, Omniscience, or Omnipresent".

Then you might want to stop digging, IMO.

The verse assigns the specific area of "become as one of us"--

It states nothing about "omnipotent, Omniscience, or Omnipresent".
FACE PALM.....what does "one of us" mean?

FACE PALM.....what does "one of us" mean?

I found this article which may be of interest to you:

Genesis 3:22 Meaning of the Man Has Now Become like One of Us---https://connectusfund.org/genesis-3-22-meaning-of-the-man-has-now-become-like-one-of-us#:~:text=%232%20%E2%80%9CThe%20man%20has%20now,the%20former%20is%20more%20likely.​

Genesis 3:22
“And the Lord God said, ‘The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.’” (NIV)

Explanation and Commentary of Genesis 3:22​

There are certain elements of the story of the fall of man in the garden of Eden that are mysterious. Some things we cannot fully understand because the language and literary style of Genesis 1-3 are not simply that of historical reporting, although there is some of that. While the account should be taken literally, it should also be understood that God intends to imbed deep mysteries in the order of things in the story, in the exact phrasing, and even in what is unsaid in the accounts.
This particular verse describes God’s reaction to the sin and rebellion of Adam and Eve. They were promised that they would die if they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It is for certain that God had forbidden them from doing it, and it is also certain that God could have prevented it from happening and did not. We must say that the whole tragic event, for which Adam and his wife were held accountable, was part of God’s plan, including the reality that he would one day send his Son to restore what was lost.
God always works providentially through our mistakes to accomplish his purposes,
and we can only understand a portion of what he is doing, or what he has done. But that we were barred from the tree of life was only a temporary measure for the children of God who have put their faith in Jesus Christ. We will see this tree again in the new heavens and the new earth at the end of the age and the beginning of eternity (Rev 22:2).

Breaking Down the Key Parts of Genesis 3:22​

#1 “And the Lord God said,”
God’s words are authoritative decrees.
#2 “The man has now become like one of us,”
The majority of scholars believe God is referring to himself in the plural and is talking to God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Some think he may be speaking to heavenly beings who also know good and evil, but the former is more likely.

#2 “The man has now become like one of us,”
The majority of scholars believe God is referring to himself in the plural and is talking to God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Some think he may be speaking to heavenly beings who also know good and evil, but the former is more likely.
You have presented two possibilities....a third is that God was mocking them...look, The "man has now become like one of us"....he thinks he doesn't need us.

But still you haven't provided an answer...as the author has said "we can only understand a portion"...and you only presented some suggestions of the author.

You act as if A&E became "divine" individuals at the fall....."Become like one us"....then tried to prove this because the bible in some translations mentions a "divine council"....

I then asked if they are divine, that is are A&E "omnipotent, omniscience, omnipresent"...which you knowing they wern't shyed away from.....as this now changes the understanding of what God is and "like one of us" doesn't mean a "true" divinity as A&E would have acheived omnipotent, omniscience and omnipresence if they actually became Gods.

You have presented two possibilities....a third is that God was mocking them...look, The "man has now become like one of us"....he thinks he doesn't need us.

I don't find any such inference there. That's pure speculation, IMO.

But still you haven't provided an answer...as the author has said "we can only understand a portion"...and you only presented some suggestions of the author.

The author seems pretty convinced of this part:

"They were promised that they would die if they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It is for certain that God had forbidden them from doing it, and it is also certain that God could have prevented it from happening and did not. We must say that the whole tragic event, for which Adam and his wife were held accountable, was part of God’s plan, including the reality that he would one day send his Son to restore what was lost.
God always works providentially through our mistakes to accomplish his purposes,"

You act as if A&E became "divine" individuals at the fall....."

I've never even alluded to that. Cite, please.

Become like one us"....then tried to prove this because the bible in some translations mentions a "divine council"....

I'm not sure how you are connecting the Divine Council with the Fall. I certainly haven't.

I then asked if they are divine, that is are A&E "omnipotent, omniscience, omnipresent"...which you knowing they wern't shyed away from.....

How are you relating that to Genesis3:22--or anything I have stated?

as this now changes the understanding of what God is and "like one of us" doesn't mean a "true" divinity as A&E would have acheived omnipotent, omniscience and omnipresence if they actually became Gods.

I haven't any idea where that comes from, but it isn't me--nor the posted scriptures.

I don't find any such inference there. That's pure speculation, IMO.

The author seems pretty convinced of this part:

"They were promised that they would die if they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It is for certain that God had forbidden them from doing it, and it is also certain that God could have prevented it from happening and did not. We must say that the whole tragic event, for which Adam and his wife were held accountable, was part of God’s plan, including the reality that he would one day send his Son to restore what was lost.
God always works providentially through our mistakes to accomplish his purposes,"

I've never even alluded to that. Cite, please.

I'm not sure how you are connecting the Divine Council with the Fall. I certainly haven't.

How are you relating that to Genesis3:22--or anything I have stated?

I haven't any idea where that comes from, but it isn't me--nor the posted scriptures.
I'm not going to begin to repeat myself...

I showed you over the last little while how the lDS Mormon Church....according to you and others who post here...present a satanic message concerning the fall of Adam and Eve.

My suggestion.....Flee the mormon church as fast as you can.

I'm not going to begin to repeat myself...
Good. You'd be equally wrong no matter how many times you repeated it.
I showed you over the last little while how the lDS Mormon Church....according to you and others who post here...present a satanic message concerning the fall of Adam and Eve.
You haven't done a very good job of it. You keep alluding to things that none of us said, They are entirely concocted by you. IOW, it appears that you are arguing with some imaginary straw man that you invented. We've never claimed they were divine. They gained something by eating from the tree... namely knowledge of good and evil. Without a solution to the obvious added condemnation of death, that gain would have been moot. God planned for the fall from the beginning which brings us again, closer to the gods because we would also have everlasting life AND knowledge of good and evil. That's a big improvement over life in the garden.

CrowCross said:
Not the way you define god....for example the gods you speak of are not divine.

Still looking for an answer to this.

Scripture please..or retract
What part do you want scriptures for?

Look, it's common sense that if Adam and Eve did not know good and evil, then they obtained something they didn't have before. Couple that with everlasting life, which Jesus Christ died for ALL men to have, then we are way better off than we were before. Now we have two things that they didn't have in the garden. There Adam could die. He didn't have to, but he could. After the resurrection, we can never die no matter how much fruit we eat.

What part do you want scriptures for?

Look, it's common sense that if Adam and Eve did not know good and evil, then they obtained something they didn't have before. Couple that with everlasting life, which Jesus Christ died for ALL men to have, then we are way better off than we were before. Now we have two things that they didn't have in the garden. There Adam could die. He didn't have to, but he could. After the resurrection, we can never die no matter how much fruit we eat.
If A&E didn't fall...there would be no need for Jesus to be the substitutional atonement.

A&E would be alive today walking the earth.

Still looking for an answer to this.
I had asked you if the "divine council" was omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.

Did you answer that question? If so could you please present your answer again.

So--you haven't revealed to us how many gods you believe were involved here:

John 10:34-35---English Standard Version
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken—

Could you explain that for us?
4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.

The scripture is clear...To believers, there is but one God the father...and there is not in every man that knowledge. Those who don't have the knowledge that the believer has only one God will conjure many Gods to satisfy their ignorance. But there will always be those who don't have the knowledge therefore there will always be this debate.

4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one
So, we know for sure that food offered to false gods is still food.
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
This is a clear statement that there are lots of gods, but there is no mention that these gods are true or false as we shall see in a moment that he is including God the Father and Jesus in this group of Gods.
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
My, how time flies. One of those gods is God the Father and one of those Lords is the Lord Jesus Christ,
7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
7 is related to 4, but 5 and 6 are generalized statements among which fall both the Father and the Son. IOW, there are lots of gods, don't worry about those other false gods, we have but one to pay attention to.
The scripture is clear..
They are
to believers, there is but one God the father
Very good. What's what we get out of it.
and there is not in every man that knowledge.
Actually, I think every man knows that inherently, but they don't worship that way. However, the point of 7 was to chastise believers who complained about others eating food offered to gods of stone and wood. They should have known it was no big deal, that's the question, how is it that you all don't know food offered to dumb idols is not wrong, everyone else does?

So, we know for sure that food offered to false gods is still food.
So you agree that those are false gods.
This is a clear statement that there are lots of gods,
Yes
but there is no mention that these gods are true or false
nope
as we shall see in a moment that he is including God the Father and Jesus in this group of Gods.
Of course not. God the father and Lord Jesus are specific to believers. 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

My, how time flies. One of those gods is God the Father and one of those Lords is the Lord Jesus Christ,
One of which gods? did you not read ...but to us, there is but one God the father? To the believer there are no other Gods even though they may be called gods.
7 is related to 4, but 5 and 6 are generalized statements among which fall both the Father and the Son. IOW, there are lots of gods, don't worry about those other false gods, we have but one to pay attention to.
Nope 7 is directly related to 6 only. The whole discussion about Gods is based on the knowledge the person has. The common knowledge is vs 5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

the limited knowledge is vs 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
That is why there is a discussion going on. Some say many gods and some say one God
Yes it says...7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge:
Very good. What's what we get out of it.
because that is what it says...there is one God the father.
Actually, I think every man knows that inherently,
but you agreed that the scripture is clear...now you are thinking the scripture is wrong and you are right.
but they don't worship that way.
That makes no sense. If they know then they will worship the correct way.
However, the point of 7 was to chastise believers who complained about others eating food offered to gods of stone and wood.
No it was not. It is edification. He is saying some of you did not know but now you do.
They should have known it was no big deal, that's the question,
But Paul just explained that not everyone has that knowledge. How can they know if they don't have the knowledge?
how is it that you all don't know food offered to dumb idols is not wrong, everyone else does?
Are you serious? How is it not wrong? How is it right to worship an idol as God?

Back