Question for Catholics about the 4 Marian dogmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still don't get it.
then please explain it !!!

Once again, Pope Francis says Mary is not the ‘co-redemptrix’​

You know, your problem, like with all Protestants---is in looking at the cross event in isolation from everything else---and acting as if the cross event itself----is unrelated to everything else in the life of Christ.

Put another way: you act as if our redemption takes place solely on the cross--and that everything that preceded the cross or came after the cross is superfluous.
Please tell us, where else did redemption take place? And no one is talking about what preceded the cross. Youre are telling us Jesus is the one redeemer but everyone is a redeemer. But we have the problem?

Sigh...

For the 100th time:

There is one mediator between God the FATHER and man. That is the unique mediation of Christ. Do you not get distinctions?

Your objection is like the objection of the atheists to the Trinity: "So God is one yet three? How is that not a contradiction?"

Then there is the mediation between God the Son and man. We may all approach the throne of Grace boldly. We may pray for each other, we may approach Christ and pray for our needs.

This is a form of mediation that comes through redemption.
Double sigh! You pulled one snippet of my post and thats what youre going to cling to? I gave you a very simple thing to do but it seems you have no desire to carry that through. Youre basing this mediator stuff on your opinion only, not scripture. Do i have to do your homework for you? Mediation is not a synonym of prayer. Once you realize that maybe you'll stop posting nonsense. Thought you were a bible only guy? I can show you the link for that if you forgot?

Are you really interested in what the bible says or what your church says?

I explained what co meant and you agreed it meant "with". Then you redefined a Catholic term ,clutched your pearls and cried blasphemy. Hardly fair.

Yes, fair. Words have meaning; the RCC doesn't get to redefine the long-established meaning of words. And "redemptrix" means a female redeemer since "-trix" is a feminine suffix. "Co-" means "with." Ertgo, the female redeemer with the other Redeemer--Jesus Christ.
Is it also blasphemy to say that parents co-create with God when they conceived a child? Because that's like saying there are 3 Creators, isn't it?
I didn't follow this line of reasoning about parents. My mother just called it "making babies" and left it at that. So will I.

But I don't think "co-creator" is very accurate, because creatures don't create new creatures, they PRO-create them. As God created them to do. Which has zero to do with our Redemption and Mary being a "co-redemptrix."

Last edited:
1. I respect the definition of terms... and as we've been experiencing it socially, those who control the language tend to want to control society. Control the language, control the people.

2. If the Roman magisterium controls theological terms, then "co- redemptrix" means what the Roman magisterium says it means. 3. If the Roman magisterium does not control theological terms, then who does?

3. My 2 cents is that the Bible should dictate what a theological term means. The reason why non-Roman Catholics detest the term "co-redmptrix" is that it's being read into the Christian, not exegeted purely out of the Bible.
I would think that the one who coins a term is the one who defines it. Would you agree?

Yes, fair. Words have meaning; the RCC doesn't get to redefine the long-established meaning of words. And "redemptrix" means a female redeemer since "-trix" is a feminine suffix. "Co-" means "with." Ertgo, the female redeemer with the other Redeemer--Jesus Christ.

I didn't follow this line of reasoning about parents. My mother just called it "making babies" and left it at that. So will I.

But I don't think "co-creator" is very accurate, because creatures don't create new creatures, they PRO-create them. As God created them to do. Which has zero to do with our Redemption and Mary being a "co-redemptrix."
We don't believe in a female redeemer or a "redemptrix".
See how easily (and carelessly) things get twisted?

I would think that the one who coins a term is the one who defines it. Would you agree?
Your church can invent any term it wants, and it has. Just don't try to force it into the biblical text as though it belongs there. The bible already has a term 'redeem, redeemer, redemption..' and they have biblical definitions of their own. The bible has a redeemer, not two, five or a billion as some suppose there is.

We don't believe in a female redeemer or a "redemptrix".
See how easily (and carelessly) things get twisted?
Hmm, then whats this all about?

pilgrim said:
Not at all. This is the meaning of the use of "co". It means "with". When couples co-create life they do that with God the Creator. It doesn't mean that they are creators like God, but that they acted in a small way so that God can act as Creator and form a new life.
In a similar way, when we call Mary co-redemptrix we are not calling her another Redeemer but acknowledge her small but important role in redemption as Mother of our Savior.

Your church can invent any term it wants, and it has. Just don't try to force it into the biblical text as though it belongs there. The bible already has a term 'redeem, redeemer, redemption..' and they have biblical definitions of their own. The bible has a redeemer, not two, five or a billion as some suppose there is.
Plus, the RCC did not make up the word "redeemer" or the feminine suffix "trix." Or the prefix "co-".

Last edited:

But I don't think "co-creator" is very accurate, because creatures don't create new creatures, they PRO-create them. As God created them to do. Which has zero to do with our

But that is what "redemptrix" means. A female redeemer.

It is the RCC that is careless about definitions. Or just plain ignorant.
Who there than protestants uses the word redemptrix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back