Question for Catholics and ex-Catholics....

No, it didn't. The priest tried to compare bowing before Mary with pictures of relatives. Stuff like that. Basically, he just said 3verything that we argue aginst every day here on CARM. it made absolutely no sense to me but confirmed everything that the people in the pews were ever taught.
I don't bow before pictures of relatives. That sounds nutty to me.

The gospel was referred to in such a nebulous way that I don't think that anyone in the church really new what it was beyond "It has something to with Jesus, and a cross, and being good."
Yep that is true. Growing up RC I never felt I could do enough to go to heaven. I never knew scritpure but I knew the catechism. I never knew Jesus but I had heard of Him. There was no way I would be as perfect as Mary or the many saints lives I read.

Yep that is true. Growing up RC I never felt I could do enough to go to heaven. I never knew scritpure but I knew the catechism. I never knew Jesus but I had heard of Him. There was no way I would be as perfect as Mary or the many saints lives I read.

Like Job. I have hear of you with my hearing, but now I see You face to face.

He started out like a catholic, "righteous" as far as men go (and as Isaiah says, our righteousness is as filthy rags).

And then he came to know God after having to wrestle through his faith in the face of adversity.

Do you know why he made all the righteous observances he made?

Like Job. I have hear of you with my hearing, but now I see You face to face.

He started out like a catholic, "righteous" as far as men go (and as Isaiah says, our righteousness is as filthy rags).

And then he came to know God after having to wrestle through his faith in the face of adversity.

Do you know why he made all the righteous observances he made?
Job knew God.

Job knew God.

My take on it:

Job 3:20-26 Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul; Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures; Which rejoice exceedingly, and are glad, when they can find the grave? Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in? For my sighing cometh before I eat, and my roarings are poured out like the waters. For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me. I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came.

Job made his righteous observances out of fear.He was afraid that he needed to please God by observances and practices otherwise, if he felt safe, or slacked off (rest, quiet), he would suffer trouble.

His observances were a talisman of sorts, meant to please the "god", not an expression of love and faith. He was trying to earn his way into God's favor.

And God allowed him to suffer the trouble that he was trying to avoiud by his own works in order to make him wrestle with his faith.

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

This is where Job got. He was put through the trial and came out a far better man than he was when he went in. God brought him to a place he never would have gotten to on his own. This was the purpose of Job's suffering. To shake him out of a self-serving religious practice whereby he was trying to please God through his own strength out of fear, and into a relationship with God where he knew His grace and served Him out of love and reverence.

My take on it:

Job 3:20-26 Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul; Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures; Which rejoice exceedingly, and are glad, when they can find the grave? Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in? For my sighing cometh before I eat, and my roarings are poured out like the waters. For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me. I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came.

Job made his righteous observances out of fear.He was afraid that he needed to please God by observances and practices otherwise, if he felt safe, or slacked off (rest, quiet), he would suffer trouble.

His observances were a talisman of sorts, meant to please the "god", not an expression of love and faith. He was trying to earn his way into God's favor.

And God allowed him to suffer the trouble that he was trying to avoiud by his own works in order to make him wrestle with his faith.

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

This is where Job got. He was put through the trial and came out a far better man than he was when he went in. God brought him to a place he never would have gotten to on his own. This was the purpose of Job's suffering. To shake him out of a self-serving religious practice whereby he was trying to please God through his own strength out of fear, and into a relationship with God where he knew His grace and served Him out of love and reverence.
But God had to allow Satan tempt Job and God trusted Job to remain faithful.

Job 1

7 The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.” 8 And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?” 9 Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason? 10 Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.”

I understand where you are coming from but I also see that Satan could not touch Job without God's permission. But RCs live more in fear of the RCC, they do not really know God IMo.

This is interesting to ponder on. I was afraid as an RC, knowing Jesus brings peace.

Ok, quick question. Why do rcs think they can cast out demon's when that Gift is an apostolic gift that no longer exists today? The seven sons of Sceva tried that and it didn't work out so well. The Catholic Church doesn't have that authority to do so, why would God give them the Gift and not anyone else?

Ok, quick question. Why do rcs think they can cast out demon's when that Gift is an apostolic gift that no longer exists today? The seven sons of Sceva tried that and it didn't work out so well. The Catholic Church doesn't have that authority to do so, why would God give them the Gift and not anyone else?

It'll probably go something along the lines of "we have the power to bind and loose"

Homilies reference the theme of the readings/psalm/Gospel which are read in every Catholic Church in the world any given Sunday. The Vatican Dicastery of Divine Worship has provided guidelines for local Priests to fashion their homily around according to the theme of that Sunday.

Back