Question for Everyone: The Atheist's "Burden of Refutation"

SteveB

Why would you use the Bible to establish biological fact?
Uh......
Did you miss Genesis 1?
Looks pretty clear that YHVH created biological life on earth.

In fact, by the looks of it, YHVH created all the stars, planets, atmospheres, water, atoms, the laws regarding the sub-atomic realm, gravity, and the intellect of the human race, making it possible for plants, insects, humans and animals to procreate, propagating their respective species, with incredible diversity.

So.... it seems to me that you missed the point.

Algor

Uh......
Did you miss Genesis 1?
Looks pretty clear that YHVH created biological life on earth.

In fact, by the looks of it, YHVH created all the stars, planets, atmospheres, water, atoms, the laws regarding the sub-atomic realm, gravity, and the intellect of the human race, making it possible for plants, insects, humans and animals to procreate, propagating their respective species, with incredible diversity.

So.... it seems to me that you missed the point.
No, no, I got it.

You just illustrated why I wouldn't evaluate the Bible using your criteria. tnx.

SteveB

No, no, I got it.

You just illustrated why I wouldn't evaluate the Bible using your criteria. tnx.
And I don't use your criteria because I found it unreliable and the wrong method for determining truth.

Algor

And I don't use your criteria because I found it unreliable and the wrong method for determining truth.
Oh, of course. But you think all humans are descended from 4 breeding pairs less than 6000 years ago. So, skip those criteria.

SteveB

Oh, of course. But you think all humans are descended from 4 breeding pairs less than 6000 years ago. So, skip those criteria.
Well, if you're so sure that you actually know what I think, then the truth doesn't actually matter now does it!

Whatsisface

Well, if you're so sure that you actually know what I think, then the truth doesn't actually matter now does it!
You demonstrate on a regular basis you have no idea what atheists think. You misrepresent and get things wrong all the time. I guess the truth doesn't actually matter now does it!

Furion

Most atheists on CARM seem to believe that theists on CARM have a "burden of proof:" that is, there is some sense in which theists on CARM need to have and/or provide arguments for God's existence.

So, here is my question.

Do you think atheists on CARM have a "burden of refutation:" that is, some sort of obligation to refute one or more arguments for God's existence, under some circumstances? Why or why not?

The question is intentionally vague to allow for a range of interpretations of the "burden of refutation."

Thanks for your thoughts! :)
Every man has the same burden, to himself. Or herself, for the easily offended.

SteveB

Just going on what you've said.

If you don't think its true, and have changed your mind, good for you!
Noah had 3 sons with his wife.
They each had their own wives.

Considering that the first several generations of the human race is derived from 2 humans, the second of which was extracted from Adam, I'm not sure what your problem is.

Remember, evolution believes that humans climbed out of the slime, but can't actually show that the DNA was diverse enough to handle millions of years of human evolution.

Apparently you and I are 99.9% genetically identical.

Algor

Noah had 3 sons with his wife.
They each had their own wives.
Very good! 4 breeding pairs. Wonderful.
Considering that the first several generations of the human race is derived from 2 humans, the second of which was extracted from Adam, I'm not sure what your problem is.
Getting enough geetic variation to explain current diversity from 4 breeding pairs (all ofthem with the same Y chromosome) less than 6000 years ago.

Remember, evolution believes that humans climbed out of the slime, but can't actually show that the DNA was diverse enough to handle millions of years of human evolution.

Can you please give me a reference that shows the DNA was insufficiently diverse "to handle millions of years of human evolution"? Your attached link doesn't. I don't think you understand what you are talking about.

Apparently you and I are 99.9% genetically identical.
Thanks.

SteveB

Very good! 4 breeding pairs. Wonderful.

Getting enough geetic variation to explain current diversity from 4 breeding pairs (all ofthem with the same Y chromosome) less than 6000 years ago.

Can you please give me a reference that shows the DNA was insufficiently diverse "to handle millions of years of human evolution"? Your attached link doesn't. I don't think you understand what you are talking about.

Thanks.
When you can explain what geetic is.

SteveB

You left out ximself, zherself, and a bunch of others. I for one am offended.
Good! You're supposed to be offended.
Maybe you'll be offended enough to actually do something effective about it.

YHVH says that he created Adam and Eve.

I've never found anything about all those other purported genders. So, it's pretty clear that there's only He and She.

CrowCross

I guess I'd disagree slightly, although I definitely understand what you're saying. By way of example, I think the Christian God does not exist - but I don't actually go around saying this (unless pressed). Until I make the claim, I'm not sure I have any burden of proof in the context of some Christian making claims about God's nature/abilities/actions.
I would say the burden of proof is on the person who started the "argument". The person who framed the original question.

If an atheist said there is no God....then the burden of proof is on them to demonstrate there is no God. A believer in God doesn't have to demonstrate there is a God when participating in the atheistic framed question.