Question for Everyone: The Atheist's "Burden of Refutation"

rossh

You accused ES of not supporting his claims, and then refused to tell us what claims he's made that he hasn't supported.

This was exactly like how you said you don't believe me, but then refused to say what I've said that you don't believe.
Have we not already been over this several times.. I said already,, that I do not believe you..

Bob1

Yes, the first instance is in the Garden.. The problem is that, each of us are going to be held up to answer for our own actions and deeds etc;. On that day there will be no " finger pointing ",,
Gen 3:12 The man replied, “The woman you gave to be with me — she gave me fruit from the tree, and I ate.” 13 Adonai, God, said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” The woman answered, “The serpent tricked me, so I ate.” ..
No evidence any of that ever actually happened.

rossh

You don't believe me ABOUT WHAT?

What have I said that you don't believe? Be specific! Or better, quote me.
well we have already done all that... you seem to be letting your hubris get in the way of a good debate between us and others of course.
The point is there that there is nothing quoted to quote ( scripture that is )..

The issue is, that you claimed to quote scripture by stating certain issues, without any positive/scripture to support your teaching/s ..

rossh

No evidence any of that ever actually happened.
Really, were you not there ? No worries, God was there and, so was Lucifer, and God is the only one who never lies! This is why I choose to quote Scripture when bible bashing.

Bob1

Really, were you not there ? No worries, God was there and, so was Lucifer, and God is the only one who never lies! This is why I choose to quote Scripture when bible bashing.
Again, no evidence any of that is true.

rossh

You don't believe me ABOUT WHAT?

What have I said that you don't believe? Be specific! Or better, quote me.
well I would but, the post has gone or been edited or am unable to simply find it again. Surly YOU know what you said/claimed ?

Bob1

No way, that is your guess work again... I made NO claims in the first place !!!
Again, no evidence for your garden story being true exists. If you disagree, present your supposed evidence. Otherwise, your referrals to supposed biblical events are as meaningless and pointless as referring to stories from Hindu scriptures.

Whatsisface

No, look get it right I said " it seems "...
What difference does that make? You didn't say why it seems pointless, you've just asserted it does. I made the point in response to you saying....

" Please prove that there is NO God..."

....that you said as if it means something if you can't. My point was that even if you can't disprove God, that has no bearing on whether God exists or not and I gave my reasons for thinking it.

Your offhand dismissal here doesn't deal with the point.

Nouveau

well we have already done all that... you seem to be letting your hubris get in the way of a good debate between us and others of course.
The point is there that there is nothing quoted to quote ( scripture that is )..

The issue is, that you claimed to quote scripture by stating certain issues, without any positive/scripture to support your teaching/s ..
What are you even talking about? Where did I say anything at all about scripture? What teachings have I offered?

You said you don't believe me, so I'm asking you to tell me what I said that you don't believe. Why is this so confusing for you?

Nouveau

well I would but, the post has gone or been edited or am unable to simply find it again. Surly YOU know what you said/claimed?
My posts are all still here. Perhaps you have confused me with someone else?

Do you realize you've been responding to most of my posts more than once?

Are you okay? You haven't been making much sense, and don't seem to be following things very well.

bigthinker

Most atheists on CARM seem to believe that theists on CARM have a "burden of proof:" that is, there is some sense in which theists on CARM need to have and/or provide arguments for God's existence.

So, here is my question.

Do you think atheists on CARM have a "burden of refutation:" that is, some sort of obligation to refute one or more arguments for God's existence, under some circumstances? Why or why not?

The question is intentionally vague to allow for a range of interpretations of the "burden of refutation."

Thanks for your thoughts! :)
No.
Atheists do not have a "burden of refutation" because "burden of refutation" is not a thing. In the same way that a lack of belief is not a belief.

Last edited:

bigthinker

I'm not talking about gods and fairies. You're the one who stated:

That's just words in a book.

So, since you don't actually know what you're talking about, I'm curious if you actually think that words in textbooks are not descriptive of reality just because they are words in a book.

You should have figured that someone was eventually going to call you to the carpet about this phrase sooner or later.

So, do you or do you not think that just because words are in books that makes them less true?
Do you have critical thinking skills?
These questions are suggestive of brain trauma. Forgive me, it is not my intention to be rude or insulting but I think it is important to know so that people can respond to you appropriately.
Surely you've read books that are fantastic or fictional in nature and you've likely read books that are factual in nature, right? What makes the words true or fictional are the meanings of the words and statements, not whether or not the words are in a book.
Surely you grasp that concept, right?

rossh

What difference does that make? You didn't say why it seems pointless, you've just asserted it does. I made the point in response to you saying....

" Please prove that there is NO God..."

....that you said as if it means something if you can't. My point was that even if you can't disprove God, that has no bearing on whether God exists or not and I gave my reasons for thinking it.

Your offhand dismissal here doesn't deal with the point.
You are allowed to think what ever you wish to think, but when you speak of something, be prepared to prove it...

rossh

I gave the reasons for my point, and you haven't said why it's wrong. Are you not prepared to prove it?
lol, your reasons are your own. It is no good trying to prove a person wrong when that person/s is never wrong regardless of the truth..
Judgement Day will come, and sooner than we think, what then will you have to say ?

Whatsisface

lol, your reasons are your own.
They are reasons of logic that you can show wrong if they are. The point is, again, that asking someone if they can disprove God as if it means something if they can't is wrong. It means nothing because despite not being able to disprove God, it's possible he still might not exist anyway.

Do you understand this point?
It is no good trying to prove a person wrong when that person/s is never wrong regardless of the truth..
I'm not always right about things.

Judgement Day will come, and sooner than we think, what then will you have to say ?
So you say.