Question for Everyone: The Atheist's "Burden of Refutation"

Electric Skeptic

I have already " cited " several of them that are in your, past tense post..
Where? Cite the post.

So you are an Atheist then I see... Good luck with that on Judgement Day..
Completely irrelevant to the issue.

I'm curious as to why you would post a link that proves you wrong. I'm also curious as to why you haven't actually learned from it.

rossh

Where? Cite the post.

I'm curious as to why you would post a link that proves you wrong. I'm also curious as to why you haven't actually learned from it.
Well that is a good start I must say. I see a vast improvement in your attitude. Time for you to get back to the truth of Gods Word once again...

rossh

Where? Cite the post.

so which post is that ? I am suspicious of your motives for even being here ? Anyway,, to sum it all up the post that I am speaking of the very first post that I ever posted and replied to you with.. I read many post but after that I replied to one, as in MY first ever reply to you.
God Bless and Keep you...

Last edited:

Nouveau

so which post is that ? I am suspicious of your motives for even being here ? Anyway,, to sum it all up the post that I am speaking of the very first post that I ever posted and replied to you with.. I read many post but after that I replied to one, as in MY first ever reply to you.
God Bless and Keep you...
So quote the post. Show us the claim from ES that you are disputing.

As far as I can tell, your first response to ES was this post below. Note that ES did not make any claims (beyond correctly pointing out that Steve had not supported his claim), and you did not there cite any claims from ES.

Electric Skeptic said:
Unsupported.
arh ? sooo, all of those dead and injured people just think that they are dead and injured ?

Your post here was a bizarre non sequitur with typically poor spelling and punctuation. Is this the post you were referring to? Where are the cited claims from ES that you wish to dispute?

Last edited:

rossh

So you are just trolling. That ends this discussion unless/until you actually cite a claim of mine. Goodbye.
several times, where you claim God is not God and such... as I said my first ever POST To you, which you now seemed to have forgotten...

Nouveau

several times, where you claim God is not God and such... as I said my first ever POST To you, which you now seemed to have forgotten...
So remind us all. Quote the post. Was it in this thread, or somewhere else?

Nic

Nope. None of Christianity's written documents prove your deity exists. Other religions have written documents as well.
I agree. I also believe they don't discredit the existence of God. Theology is an art of assertion grounded in the presence of faith. That's my take.

rossh

Nowhere in the English-speaking world does 'sic' mean what you think it does. Not in New Zealand, not in Australia, not in England, not in Canada, not in the US, not anywhere else.

None of which has anything to do with the issue.

The word 'sic' does not mean what you think it means; every time you use it you are doing so wrongly.
and your point is ?

Nouveau

I told you already, the issues I raised with you, are in MY first ever reply post to you!!
You still haven't cited any claims from ES. Quote what you want to dispute, and explain why you disagree with it.

Do you think it's possible you might have confused ES with someone else?

rossh

I agree. I also believe they don't discredit the existence of God. Theology is an art of assertion grounded in the presence of faith. That's my take.
Your " take " spoken like a true JW or Mormon or what ever else ? Seriously ? Theology is man made a mere manifestation of non believers..

Bob1

The fact that they all contradict each other and that none of them can objectively be proven true... leads me to conclude there is no reason to regard any of them as true.

Nic

The fact that they all contradict each other and that none of them can objectively be proven true... leads me to conclude there is no reason to regard any of them as true.
I believe that's a reasonable response. However, I don't believe faith is rooted in reason. Of course there are other faith adherents that may believe differently about reason. Among some Christians for example, the approach is God is a God of reason therefore...

Last edited:

Nic

Hi again Bob,
I'm no match intellectually with many here too include atheists however this came to mind, if three people had three different contrasting ideas about what a color represented in a traffic signal, it doesn't necessitate by default that all are wrong, in fact more than one could be truthful depending on the situation.
I realize you can go the extra mile here to find out which or more contexts may be true, but faith as I understand it is a different sort of animal and so the analogy admittedly has limitations, but nevertheless I thought it expressed a truth.
Thanks again for taking time to read my replies.
Good day.

Nic

Eightcrackers

Most atheists on CARM seem to believe that theists on CARM have a "burden of proof:" that is, there is some sense in which theists on CARM need to have and/or provide arguments for God's existence.

So, here is my question.

Do you think atheists on CARM have a "burden of refutation:" that is, some sort of obligation to refute one or more arguments for God's existence, under some circumstances? Why or why not?

The question is intentionally vague to allow for a range of interpretations of the "burden of refutation."

Thanks for your thoughts! :)
"Burden of refutation" assumes that acceptance is somehow the default logical position, and I do not agree that it is.

Atheists have no burden unless they make a claim.

SteveB

Do you believe the Quran?
In what way?

Do I think that Allah wants those who don't believe Mohammed should be murdered?
Do I believe that Allah doesn't have a son?
Do I believe that Allah wants muslims to not make friends with Christians?

Yes.

These things are exactly why I'm convinced that Allah and YHVH are not the same person.

rossh

Hi again Bob,
I'm no match intellectually with many here too include atheists however this came to mind, if three people had three different contrasting ideas about what a color represented in a traffic signal, it doesn't necessitate by default that all are wrong, in fact more than one could be truthful depending on the situation.
I realize you can go the extra mile here to find out which or more contexts may be true, but faith as I understand it is a different sort of animal and so the analogy admittedly has limitations, but nevertheless I thought it expressed a truth.
Thanks again for taking time to read my replies.
Good day.

Nic
Good points about the " traffic lights " and also, if 1000 people disagree about the color, then that does not in any way change that color. Ergo, those who deny God deny themselves and God will never cease to exist...

rossh

In what way?

Do I think that Allah wants those who don't believe Mohammed should be murdered?
Do I believe that Allah doesn't have a son?
Do I believe that Allah wants muslims to not make friends with Christians?

Yes.

These things are exactly why I'm convinced that Allah and YHVH are not the same person.
well that point comes down to us all just being human beings... Allah and God are the same one true God it is us humans that have to argue and debate endlessly over the least important issues. Do not kill! Do not commit adultery. So who makes all the excuses under the Sun so as to do just those 2 items ? We all do!!