Question for Everyone: The Atheist's "Burden of Refutation"

Bob1

Hi Bob, here's the fuller response, the prior was my draft I inadvertently saved before completion.

Faith is trust or a trusting confidence, I'm not sure how to measure that? 🤷
I suppose we can measure decisions made by people of faith to get an idea how consistent a person's faith might be, but faith is also a personal matter requiring personal interpretation in acting in accordance to how one understands their faith. Each and every context is unique and open to interpretation. So even if the immediately preceding wasn't part of the equation, I feel like measuring given responses of such persons of faith, is measuring results prejudice for or against faith and not necessarily proving there is this thing called faith that is not imagined. But for a person of faith like myself, I extend the benefit of the doubt to these, because I too also possess faith. And I understand faith can be shakened or disturbed. (imv) I see this as potentially harming this gift or quality especially when immature. Faith often affords comfort most appreciated deeply within our being or personhood. Is it a true or false source of comfort? That depends on who you're asking. I think it's safe to presume that persons of faith believe in their... faith as true. Among these most persons of faith believe their flavor as the most truthful expression. Circular? Sure. Prejudice? No doubt. I don't deny either of these. But I know I have faith instilled me and I possess this abstract construct called faith. It came from outside of me, well in my case anyway and I would argue that truly represents Christian faith. I suppose and I really have no problem with saying non-Christian faiths can arrive from outside themselves as well although the source would be different authors.
I've already acknowledged your position apart from faith is within reason. It's honest and forthright from your position agreeing with conscience. I respect that. I don't dispute that and I think it's wrong for anyone to be at odds with their conscience. But thanks again for reading my replies and your responses here.
👍
A reasonable and sincere answer. However, I still just don't put stock in faith or see it as something virtuous. To me there is nothing virtuous or admirable about simply believing a thing when one has no objective evidence that that which is believed in is true. As I see it, faith in the religious sense is just wishful thinking... "I really like the idea of X, and I want X to be true and hope it is true. So I'm just going to have faith (believe) that X is true." It might bring some people comfort but it doesn't work for me and I could never justify believing something for which I didn't have objective evidence.

Reactions: Nic

rossh

I've been "proving" my beliefs daily for the past 44+ years now. Just as Jesus described in Matthew 7, and James said in James 1, regarding being a doer of the word and not jus a hearer only.

Is there a point to your issues?
I am just trying to find out what you actual " beliefs " are, if any ?