Question for fellow non-Calvinists

Grayecxm

For my fellow non-Calvinist believers on the board, what are some of your favorite authors or theologians? Any recommended reading- Authors or books that have been influential in your walk?

I’ve downloaded some sample kindle books but wanted to hear from y’all if there is something highly recommended? TIA!

Dizerner

Specifically to counter Calvinism, or just in general?! I got a lot out of the Normal Christian Life, but it is not an anti-Calvinist work.

Dizerner

Not specifically- just more something not devoted to that certain theology.

Well I highly recommend The Normal Christian Life, and it has no deterministic slant.

Later in his life the author varied into some things I don't quite agree with, but there are precious basic truths in this original work.

Dizerner

Try the potters freedom by James White. You'll absolutely love it.
Oh, he's a Calvinist.
But get it anyway, you'll love it.

I read the entire book, even highlighting and studying it. I'm not trying to be offensive, but for the sake of the original poster, I was extremely unimpressed and don't think it made sense at all. If the OP wanted a book presenting some interesting ideas about Calvinism I'd recommend instead "Debating Calvinism," I thought it was an interesting read.

Dizerner

Any of AW Tozer books or Swindolls

I was very inspired by some of Tozer's books and also sermons (which you can find on YT). He was definitely not a Calvinist nor promoting it, he believed in the Classical Arminian position of prevenient grace, for the information of the OP.

Carbon

I read the entire book, even highlighting and studying it. I'm not trying to be offensive, but for the sake of the original poster, I was extremely unimpressed and don't think it made sense at all. If the OP wanted a book presenting some interesting ideas about Calvinism I'd recommend instead "Debating Calvinism," I thought it was an interesting read.
Would you recommend, freedom of the will by Jonathan Edwards?
Have you read that one as well?

civic

I was very inspired by some of Tozer's books and also sermons (which you can find on YT). He was definitely not a Calvinist nor promoting it, he believed in the Classical Arminian position of prevenient grace, for the information of the OP.
I have several of his books along with Swindols and I really enjoyed them over the years. Knowledge of the Holy and the Pursuit of God make my top 10 list.

Stephen

Here you go.

Not necessarily books, but books included.

---------------------------------------

A Podcast interview

Why Does God Allow Suffering (1)
Why Does God Allow Suffering (2)

These two episodes are an explanation of an open theist viewpoint (rather than "the open theist viewpoint".

The two episodes after this, are opponents challenging the viewpoint if you want to invest 4 hours.

(Full Disclosure: All views presented in these episodes are from non-trinitarians like me)

Same Podcast, different speaker

Divine Foreknowledge and Free Will
Divine Foreknowledge and Free Will 2

(Full Disclosure: All views presented in these episodes are from non-trinitarians like me)

Actually part of a 6 part series if you want to go whole hog and look at other viewpoints.

A book: God and the problem of evil, 5 Views

Five of the prevailing views in one book, and then a rebuttal.
  • Phillip Cary: A Classic View (i.e. Calvinism)
  • William Lane Craig: A Molinist View (modified Calvinism)
  • William Hasker: An Open Theist View
  • Thomas Jay Oord: An Essential Kenosis View (Kindof wierd)
  • Stephen Wykstra: A Skeptical Theism View (Way out there)

Books I haven't read, but may be of interest to you

Divine Foreknowledge: Four Views

The Triumph of God over Evil

An academic paper free to download: The Three Roads to Open Theism.

It is a bit long and not for one lacking attention span.

(Full Disclosure: Author is a PHD in Philosophy and a non-trinitarian. Same guy who did the podcast on Divine Foreknowledge above)

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing; but the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

Good luck in your search.

Stephen

Last edited:

civic

For my fellow non-Calvinist believers on the board, what are some of your favorite authors or theologians? Any recommended reading- Authors or books that have been influential in your walk?

I’ve downloaded some sample kindle books but wanted to hear from y’all if there is something highly recommended? TIA!
This would be my top 10 list not necessarily in this order.

1) The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer
2) The Knowledge of the Holy by AW Tozer
3) Knowing God by Packer
4) The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer
5) How to read the Bible for all its worth by Fee and Stuart
6) The Gospel according to Jesus by MacArthur
7) Pilgrims Progress by Bunyan
8) Fox's Book of Martyrs by Fox
9) Kingdom of the Cults by Martin
10) Evidence that demands a verdict by McDowell

Theo1689

Not specifically- just more something not devoted to that certain theology.

So you assume that Calvinist authors ONLY write about Calvinism?
That's sad.

It would mean that you would miss many WONDERFUL books by Calvinist authors, such as James White's "The Forgotten Trinity" (endorsed by non-Calvinist Protestants, and Catholics alike).

Besides, if you're going to try to learn Calvinism from non-Calvinists, then you are most assuredly going to be taught FALSEHOODS.