Question for fellow non-Calvinists

MinnesotaEric

Thomas C Oden (d 2016) is a monster in historical theology and currently offers the best "Arminian" systematic. I say "Arminian," because he works within historical theology and has zero axes to grind against C theology, but his systematic effectively makes the case through Scripture and the first six centuries of Christian thinkers, that grace works the semi-Augustinian way.

Anyway, a concentrated reading on how early Christians thought how God's ministry of grace worked can be found in Oden's Transforming Power of Grace, a book that is the defacto read for the A and C discussion. At the link to Amazon you can see my review.

In 1992, fresh from completing his three volume systematic theology on the Godhead (one book for each person), Oden continued following through with his agenda for the theologian's office (that he first presented in his Agenda for Theology, 1979, now republished under the title After Modernity, What?) to produce books and helps for the pastoral office by turning his considerable abilities to produce a pastoral resource on grace. The result of that effort was the publication of The Transforming Power of Grace, 1993.

In order to set forth the doctrine of grace, Oden looks past the fragmentation of theology that has taken place since the Enlightenment. He draws on the ecumenical consensus of early Christianity that challenges modern assumptions, sources and methods and calls Christians what our forefathers knew was essential to the gospel and Christian teaching: "that to be a Christian is to be formed, nurtured and upheld solely by grace." While some may think this is a book on spiritual formation, it is not. Oden, in going about creating helps to drag his "incurably liberal denomination" (Agenda for Theology), the UMC, back to the orthodox center, does so by highlighting the theological history of grace as seen through the lens of Paleo-Orthodoxy.

Not necessarily being involved in the war to reclaim liberalized denominations, elements of the preface where Oden discusses his method and motivation may not impact readers from centered evangelical traditions but the rest of the book is a very good survey of grace written by arguably the most respected theologian working within the discipline of historical theology and who is the preeminent evangelical Methodist theologian alive today.

Those who are interested in Arminian-Calvinist debate will also greatly benefit from this book as Oden systematically sets forth doctrines of grace in a way that is sorely needed to be heard by both sides of the perennial battle.

preacher4truth

I read the entire book, even highlighting and studying it. I'm not trying to be offensive, but for the sake of the original poster, I was extremely unimpressed and don't think it made sense at all.
Oh please, not buying the disingenuous nonsense you're still trying to peddle.

As to the OP, I've enjoyed Tozer and Ravenhill to some extent.

Dizerner

Oh please, not buying the disingenuous nonsense you're still trying to peddle.

As to the OP, I've enjoyed Tozer and Ravenhill to some extent.

You want my kindle notes posted on here to prove it, or do you just want to smugly accuse with no accountability.

Dizerner

In case anyone actually doubts the veracity of what I said, I took the time to export my >10 year old Kindle notes and highlights. As you can see I did this in less than a few minutes, so I couldn't just write this all out to make it look like I studied it.

Sethproton

For my fellow non-Calvinist believers on the board, what are some of your favorite authors or theologians? Any recommended reading- Authors or books that have been influential in your walk?

I’ve downloaded some sample kindle books but wanted to hear from y’all if there is something highly recommended? TIA!
What I have found to be an excellent way to grasp and use scripture is small groups. Specifically those where the group works verse by verse thru a book. The groups where they do overviews are ok, but I am in several where we choose a book and then for 45 minutes once a week, use Bible helps, pray and talk as we work thru each passage. I prefer this over reading a commentary about the Bible. They are good too but for me nothing is more enlightening, challenging and stirring that small groups stepping thru a Bible book.
Best thing ever for assimilating the Bible

Last edited:

civic

Thomas C Oden (d 2016) is a monster in historical theology and currently offers the best "Arminian" systematic. I say "Arminian," because he works within historical theology and has zero axes to grind against C theology, but his systematic effectively makes the case through Scripture and the first six centuries of Christian thinkers, that grace works the semi-Augustinian way.

Anyway, a concentrated reading on how early Christians thought how God's ministry of grace worked can be found in Oden's Transforming Power of Grace, a book that is the defacto read for the A and C discussion. At the link to Amazon you can see my review.
I just ordered his 3 volume set which in now in 1 volume on Amazon for $22. I'm looking forward to reading his work from another set of eyes on the Trinity since its my favorite topic of biblical study.

civic

What I have found to be an excellent way to grasp and use scripture is small groups. Specifically those where the group works verse by verse thru a book. The groups where they do overviews are ok, but I am in several where we choose a book and then for 45 minutes once a week, use Bible helps, pray and talk as we work thru each passage. I prefer this over reading a commentary about the Bible. They are good too but for me nothing is more enlightening, challenging and stirring that small groups stepping thru a Bible book.
Best thing ever for assimilating the Bible
So you have never read any Christian books is that correct ?

MinnesotaEric

I just ordered his 3 volume set which in now in 1 volume on Amazon for $22. I'm looking forward to reading his work from another set of eyes on the Trinity since its my favorite topic of biblical study.
You're going to love Oden's historical four-fold Trinity formation.

The clearest way to establish that the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Spirit is God is by a classical fourfold exegetical procedure that shows how in Scripture;

(a) each Person (Father, Son, Spirit) is distinguishably addressed by divine names;​
(b) each is assumed to have divine attributes;​
(c) each engages in actions that only God can accomplish;​
(d) and each is thought worthy of divine worship.​

That is how the doctrine of the trinity came into being: The Father, Son and Holy Spirit all have divine names that can only be attributed to God. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit each have divine attributes that can only rightly be attributed to God. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit each perform actions that only God can do, and the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are each thought worthy of worship.

civic

You're going to love Oden's historical four-fold Trinity formation.

The clearest way to establish that the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Spirit is God is by a classical fourfold exegetical procedure that shows how in Scripture;

(a) each Person (Father, Son, Spirit) is distinguishably addressed by divine names;​
(b) each is assumed to have divine attributes;​
(c) each engages in actions that only God can accomplish;​
(d) and each is thought worthy of divine worship.​

That is how the doctrine of the trinity came into being: The Father, Son and Holy Spirit all have divine names that can only be attributed to God. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit each have divine attributes that can only rightly be attributed to God. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit each perform actions that only God can do, and the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are each thought worthy of worship.
Thanks for the recommendation as I have several books ( 2 shelves in my library) on the Trinity, Deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit. This will be a great addition !

Johnnybgood

For my fellow non-Calvinist believers on the board, what are some of your favorite authors or theologians? Any recommended reading- Authors or books that have been influential in your walk?

I’ve downloaded some sample kindle books but wanted to hear from y’all if there is something highly recommended? TIA!
Josh McDowell , William Lane Craig and Billy Graham.

Dizerner

Uh, my point is that you're saying you're unimpressed and it didn't make sense is frankly untrue and designed to be slanderous. And you know it.

Your accusation is slanderous.

And you probably don't realize that.

I demonstrated that my opinion was not irresponsibly given, and in no way do I agree with your slanderous opinion of me.

preacher4truth

Your accusation is slanderous.

And you probably don't realize that.

I demonstrated that my opinion was not irresponsibly given, and in no way do I agree with your slanderous opinion of me.
Your saying the book made no sense is absolute baloney. Your credibility and integrity are thus questionable. One of the easier books to read with very easy to follow logic.