Question for Lutherans

Tertiumquid

Writing only for myself, it looks like a trick question. How does one have one without the other?
A family member heard someone ask this question in a sermon recently, and I was curious as to a Lutheran perspective. I think the question can be answered a few different ways depending on presuppositions. For instance, the way you answered has the symbiotic connection- that to actually obey God, one would need to actually have a heart inclined to do so.

On the other hand, from a different perspective, someone with a heart already inclined to obey God may find it easier to simply follow black and white rules (do this and don't do that) rather than having faith in God's promises (especially during difficult times).

BJ Bear

A family member heard someone ask this question in a sermon recently, and I was curious as to a Lutheran perspective. I think the question can be answered a few different ways depending on presuppositions. For instance, the way you answered has the symbiotic connection- that to actually obey God, one would need to actually have a heart inclined to do so.

On the other hand, from a different perspective, someone with a heart already inclined to obey God may find it easier to simply follow black and white rules (do this and don't do that) rather than having faith in God's promises (especially during difficult times).
Thanks. Now I am curious, what was the sermon text?