Rationality vs volitionality

SteveB

I saw an article this morning about how people use rationality as a cloak to hide their volitional beliefs behind.

Volition is the will.
Rational is the mind
And emotions.

I then did a search, "volitional resistance to changes in life." I received back a few academic papers and articles about it .

Due to the topic being an academically researched topic, many of these papers are hidden behind paywalls. I'd apologize, but serious research requires serious discussion.

It strikes me that the so called "lacking rational basis" argument against christianity/following Jesus is the easiest to resolve. It's simply a matter of reading/study.
There's plenty of evidence that supports the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.
There's plenty of evidence that supports the validity and veracity/historicity of the bible.
Each are simply a matter of reading.

Emotions are a little more complicated, because they deal with a perceived quality of life. If I trust in Jesus, my friends and family members will make fun of me and mock me. I'll lose everything and everyone in my life that matters to me.

To this, Jesus responded-

Mat 19:29 WEB Everyone who has left houses, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive one hundred times, and will inherit eternal life.

Whatever we give up for the sake of following Jesus, he'll give us more in return.

Volitional resistance is far more primal still.... it goes to the very core of our lives.

And while Jesus does indeed deal with this one, it receives the greatest level of pushback and resistance.

It's often cloaked in the rational and the emotional aspects of our humanity. But in the end, it's simply a matter of "I don't want to-ism."