RCC Clergy Garments

What appropriate 'look'? NONE. Read the qualifications for deacon and elder they all have to do with conduct and how you live your life. Not how you look. There is no particular garb for anyone to wear to single them out.
By 'look' I mean, how do you differentiate a Bishop from the congregation? If someone in need of the service of a bishop wanted to contact the bishop in your church, how would they identify them?

I guess it wasn't enough for the early Roman Catholic Church clergy to have emblems and candles carried before them wherever they went - I never read in the Bible of any of the apostles being preceeded wherever they went with any kind of distinguishing regalia - but the Roman Catholic priests, deacons, bishops, etc., did.
Reminds me of Matthew 6. "Don't be show-offs like the hypocrites. They have their reward – the praise of men."

More and more I see that the RCC has fallen for the offer of "all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them." But what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and the glory thereof?

--Rich

By 'look' I mean, how do you differentiate a Bishop from the congregation? If someone in need of the service of a bishop wanted to contact the bishop in your church, how would they identify them?
How are they identified? Really? Does your bishop have less authority if hes in his skivvies at night watching the tube? Read Acts, elders were appointed all over. Never, not one burp about what to wear. When i go to a church for the first time i may not know who the elders or deacons are but that doesn't diminish their office. If someone sticks around long enough you'll know who the leaders are. Its not hard.

Why the need to differentiate them?
Well, it prevents confusion..

I'm sorry, my non-RCC friends, but I kinda like seeing our pastors in their albs and stoles. :( It is their "uniform" and is symbolic. My husband and our dear pastor have both told me that wearing them reminds them of their office of pastor, which they find very humbling.

Plus--I can't help it...but hubby looks so...cute in his alb and stole...?

But it is still adiaphora. It is not wrong for a pastor to wear them, or NOT wear them. It is up to the church, congregation, and pastor.

Last edited:
That's assuming nondenom is attending a church with an episcopal form of government. (The other two forms are presbyterian and congregational, none of which should be confused with the church groups of that name.)

BTW, what services does an overseer do that the locals cannot? From what I recollect, the RC Bishop sat in Rockville Center, NY, and popped in for the Confirmation ceremonies.

--Rich

Sorry, my non-RCC friends, but I kinda like seeing our pastors in their albs and stoles. :( It is their "uniform" and is symbolic. My husband and our dear pastor have both told me that wearing them reminds them of their office of pastor, which they find very humbling.

I can't help it...but hubby looks so...cute in his alb and stole...?

But it is still adiaphora. It is not wrong for a pastor to wear them, or NOT wear them. It is up to the church, congregation, and pastor.
I understand what you are saying but having grown up seeing the same men that wear robes get drunk with my alcoholic father, some who swore, shows me robes mean nothing. In fact, my brothers still to this day comment on how those priests could speak when out fishing. Those evil priests wore robes it gave children a false sense of safety and their parents.

The robes are meaningless.

I understand what you are saying but having grown up seeing the same men that wear robes get drunk with my alcoholic father, some who swore, shows me robes mean nothing. In fact, my brothers still to this day comment on how those priests could speak when out fishing. Those evil priests wore robes it gave children a false sense of safety and their parents.

They are meaningless to you but we see in Exodus God desired them to be worn.

Which is why conduct and integrity are more important than what you wear.

Robes do mean nothing, in the long run, you are correct...but doggone it, hubby still looks so cute in his alb and robe! And I told him so...

They were only for those who worked in the Temple, no one else. They were not for use in synagogues. RCs claim they are so Jewish and it is just another false claim, as their lack of understanding of Jewish ways and practices reveals. They are meaningless to God, Exodus was the old ways before the cross.

Why is the focus being put on any priest or any bishop? - I'll tell you exactly why - it's because all focus has been taken off of Jesus and centered on these ridiculously pompous Roman Catholic clerics who strive to "look" and act as if they are so very self- important, but on the inside they are nothing but digusting, deviant, lying cowards.

That is old covenant, not new covenant. There is no command in the New Testament for ministers to wear albs and stoles. As I said, it is adiaphora--neither commanded, or forbidden.

No it is not in the NT and we now have a new system and not the old priesthood. If the RCs want to follow the Jewish traditions then they need to build a temple on the temple mount. Jewish priests were for the Temple and its practices, those in synagogues were called Rabbi or teacher.

But it does keep those priests on a higher level than the riffraff. It makes them look closer to God, however, God is not interested in outward appearances and false teachers.
True, and Jesus never wore different attire to indicate anything different or high-ranking about Himself.

Sorry to say different than you, but every church I have ever attended with exception to the salvation army, and two other churches; has never worn any clothing to differentiate them from the congregation. It isn't hard to differentiate the pastor and other church leaders from the congregation. Their speech and actions during the entire service is on display. Like you have said many times, actions most often speak louder than words.

But so too, actions also speak louder than clothing.

Back