Reading About The Sacrifice & Service Of Your Faith

Exeter

Php 2:17 Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all.

Paul liked his metaphors. So do I.

Leading up to his thought of being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of the faith of the Philippians to whom he was writing, Paul speaks to them about what they should be working out now that they have God working in them.

Php 2:12-13 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; (13) for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Paul expected to be martyred for his faith so he wanted it known that it should be a cause for rejoicing, both for him and for those he had laboured in service to, which it would be if they lived up to his expectations.

Php 2:14-16 Do all things without complaining and disputing, (15) that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, (16) holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.

Php 2:18 For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me.

Pondering Paul's life and ministry and wondering how to apply his instructions it occurs to me that my sacrifice and service of faith is minor compared to his, but nevertheless I find myself willing to work out whatever God works in me.

Php 2:17
Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service (leitourgia) of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all.

Strong G3009
λειτουργία
leitourgia
li-toorg-ee'-ah
From G3008; public function (as priest [“liturgy”] or almsgiver): - ministration (-try), service.
Total KJV occurrences: 6

Questions For Us All:

• What is the sacrifice and service of faith that, God-willing, we will be willing to do?
  • Is the pouring out of others in ministry something we rejoice about?

Back