Reconciliation ( The wondrous "Good News" of the Gospel )

He absolutely did not!
Jesus called the Pharisees whitewashed tombs and pits of vipers.
Jesus taught his Father's doctrine, not the Pharisees.

Read Matthew 23.
This is actually something I studied, via the book "Jesus the Pharisee" by Harvey Falk. Basically, the author documents how if you go by the torah teachings of Jesus, they line up with the Pharisaical school of Hillel, with only one exception. So while Jesus didn't like the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, he actually embraced the teachings.

I'm glad you brought up Matthew 23, because it is here that you most closely see Jesus aligned with the Pharisees.

Matthew 23:1-3 Jesus explains to his followers that the Pharisees teach with the authority of Moses, and that they are to do and observe ALLLLLL that the Pharisees taught. This would include written Torah and oral Torah--that's what they taught.

In Matthew 23:23 Jesus directs teh Pharisees to first observe the basics of the written Torah, and THEN to also keep the Oral Torah--the spice tax. In other words, by advocating obedience to Oral Torah, Jesus is underscoring the teachings of the Pharisees.

This is actually something I studied, via the book "Jesus the Pharisee" by Harvey Falk. Basically, the author documents how if you go by the torah teachings of Jesus, they line up with the Pharisaical school of Hillel, with only one exception. So while Jesus didn't like the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, he actually embraced the teachings.

I'm glad you brought up Matthew 23, because it is here that you most closely see Jesus aligned with the Pharisees.

Matthew 23:1-3 Jesus explains to his followers that the Pharisees teach with the authority of Moses, and that they are to do and observe ALLLLLL that the Pharisees taught. This would include written Torah and oral Torah--that's what they taught.

In Matthew 23:23 Jesus directs teh Pharisees to first observe the basics of the written Torah, and THEN to also keep the Oral Torah--the spice tax. In other words, by advocating obedience to Oral Torah, Jesus is underscoring the teachings of the Pharisees.
Yep, Revolution in Judea by Hyyam Maccoby points this out as well.

He absolutely did not!
Jesus called the Pharisees whitewashed tombs and pits of vipers.
Jesus taught his Father's doctrine, not the Pharisees.

Read Matthew 23.
Here is the book which I was mentioning, Jesus the Pharisee by Harvey Falk.

No, he wasn't lined up with the Pharisees.

That doesn't really make sense, does it? That isn't really what he said. He said they were the administrators or teachers of the Law, and the Law must be obeyed, but don't act like them because they don't obey God their own selves.
He rejected their made up rules such as the pouring of water over their hands three times, etc.

No, he wasn't lined up with the Pharisees.

That doesn't really make sense, does it?
Yes, it really does make sense. It's just a matter of accepting it.
That isn't really what he said.
It's right there in the text. It's pretty obvious. They sit in the seat of Moses, do and observe ALL they teach you. You just don't get a better endorsement than that.

Again, its the Bible you have problems with, not me.

Yes, it really does make sense. It's just a matter of accepting it.

It's right there in the text. It's pretty obvious. They sit in the seat of Moses, do and observe ALL they teach you. You just don't get a better endorsement than that.

Again, its the Bible you have problems with, not me.
You didn't even address everything I said. It's a matter of interpretation. How could he have meant they're a pit of snakes and thieves, but yeah...they speak for God?

You didn't even address everything I said. It's a matter of interpretation. How could he have meant they're a pit of snakes and thieves, but yeah...they speak for God?
No it is not a matter of interpretation. There are places in the Bible where the Bible is vague, and thus, different scholars can have different interpretations. This is not one such place. In this case the meaning is very clear -- Jesus is endorsing the teachings of the Pharisees.

No it is not a matter of interpretation. There are places in the Bible where the Bible is vague, and thus, different scholars can have different interpretations. This is not one such place. In this case the meaning is very clear -- Jesus is endorsing the teachings of the Pharisees.
Soooo....he's endorsing it in one verse and condemning it in the next?
And if he's endorsing their teaching, he'd have been doing the special hand washing, too!
Yes...it's a matter of interpretation.

Soooo....he's endorsing it in one verse and condemning it in the next?
And if he's endorsing their teaching, he'd have been doing the special hand washing, too!
Yes...it's a matter of interpretation.
He is condemning the HYPOCRISY of the Pharisees or at least some of them. He is not attacking their teachings.

For one thing, the NT confuses factions. For another, calling a few hypocrites doesn't make them all.

He is condemning the HYPOCRISY of the Pharisees or at least some of them. He is not attacking their teachings.
You need to read up on this (independently...not someone's book) so you can really know what you're talking about.
Jesus couldn't stand the Pharisees.
Have you read the 7 woes he pronounced on them?

You need to read up on this (independently...not someone's book) so you can really know what you're talking about.
Yes, including one more time just before I uploaded my last reply.

Yes, including one more time just before I uploaded my last reply.
13 “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.

The Pharisees weren't teaching God's will and ways.

Is that a song by Paul McCartney 🤔? Wo wo wo wo wo wo wo wo....

13 “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.

The Pharisees weren't teaching God's will and ways.
It is a remark about their hypocrisy, not their teachings.

Still waiting for you to address "Do and observe ALL they teach."

Back