Reducing food waste

balshan

With the price of food and just being frugal how do you reduce food waste. I mean I try to stick to a list for a start, making sure you check the frig and freezer first. But I find soups are a great way of using up vegetables that are starting to look sad. I also look for a recipe using something near it is use by date as the main ingredient.

Our councils are now using a compost bins that they pick up which is a great idea.

At my age, I only buy frozen meals in single servings. Soups are awesome!
I cannot buy frozen meals because of food intolerances. My husband who cooks would love to just buy frozen meals. I love soups. Glad to hear from you once again.

I cannot buy frozen meals because of food intolerances. My husband who cooks would love to just buy frozen meals. I love soups. Glad to hear from you once again.
My PC was hacked and it took more than a week to get back online. I'm still having difficulties.

DW has been playing with DIY frozen meals. Make a double portion, put the extra in a double freezer bag*, and there! A frozen meal!

Soups and stews are good because any nutrients that would wind up in the cooking water wind up in the soup!

--Rich
* put one bag inside another to help prevent freezer burn.

DW also has a "compost tub" from when we redid the bathroom. 😲 The nice thing is how many "volunteers" we get from the discards in the tub. Living in the country lets us do a lot of things suburbanites would faint at! We've also found that celery and onion bottoms - as well as carrot tops - will start growing again, so into the garden they go. Potato eyes can also be planted and will grow.

Then there are the edible weeds...

--Rich

DW has been playing with DIY frozen meals. Make a double portion, put the extra in a double freezer bag*, and there! A frozen meal!

Soups and stews are good because any nutrients that would wind up in the cooking water wind up in the soup!

--Rich
* put one bag inside another to help prevent freezer burn.
That is a great idea but my husband gets caught up with freezer space and then sometimes complains because we cannot have takeaway because of my food intolerances. I laugh and say that is why I suggest freezing things.

DW also has a "compost tub" from when we redid the bathroom. 😲 The nice thing is how many "volunteers" we get from the discards in the tub. Living in the country lets us do a lot of things suburbanites would faint at! We've also found that celery and onion bottoms - as well as carrot tops - will start growing again, so into the garden they go. Potato eyes can also be planted and will grow.

Then there are the edible weeds...

--Rich
Our council has introduced kitchen compost bins which go into green rubbish bin. My daughter in law is big into edible weeds etc. Yes it would be great advantage living in the country. Though my son and his wife have chickens, a large vege patch on their suburbian block. It fact they get visits from the local wild ducks as well. They also have a bee hive and produce honey. They grow mushrooms and sell them.

Back