Reformation--or--Apostasy?

dberrie2020

Seeing that the Reformation resulted in a new denomination--with a different theology than the church of that day--why is it a Reformation, rather than an apostasy?

What did it reform?

Tertiumquid

Seeing that the Reformation resulted in a new denomination--with a different theology than the church of that day--why is it a Reformation, rather than an apostasy?

What did it reform?
The period in history is known as "Reformation," not "apostasy." That's why.

I suggest regular eye exams, especially as one grows older. For instance, I've had increased problems reading in-between the lines.

Buzzard

Have you never read of the "Reformation Foretold" by Christ

Bethsaida = a Worthless Desolate House of Fish

Mark 8:22
And he cometh to Bethsaida;

(that worthless, desolate House of Fish)
and they bring a blind man unto him,
and besought him to touch him.

23 And he took the blind man by the hand,
and led him out of the town;
and when he had spit on his eyes,
and put his hands upon him,
he asked him if he saw ought.

Hey man; do you see correctly ????

And he (The Blind Man) looked up, and said,
I see men as trees, walking.

Were the Reformers supposed to see clearly
( yes)
( No )
were those that followed these men out of Rome looking to Christ or to
Men as Big as Trees, and following after them

was the reformation of God
Absolutely

Now we get too the 2nd touch, still to come

the 2nd touch

25 After that he (Christ) put his hands again upon his eyes,
and made him look up:
and he was restored,
and saw every man clearly.

and a third teaching, for that time to come
revealed in Johns Revelation

26 And he sent him away to his house, saying
Neither go into the town, nor tell it to any in the town.

dberrie2020

Have you never read of the "Reformation Foretold" by Christ

Bethsaida = a Worthless Desolate House of Fish

Mark 8:22
And he cometh to Bethsaida;

(that worthless, desolate House of Fish)
and they bring a blind man unto him,
and besought him to touch him.

23 And he took the blind man by the hand,
and led him out of the town;
and when he had spit on his eyes,
and put his hands upon him,
he asked him if he saw ought.

Hey man; do you see correctly ????

And he (The Blind Man) looked up, and said,
I see men as trees, walking.

Were the Reformers supposed to see clearly
( yes)
( No )
were those that followed these men out of Rome looking to Christ or to
Men as Big as Trees, and following after them

was the reformation of God
Absolutely

Now we get too the 2nd touch, still to come

the 2nd touch

25 After that he (Christ) put his hands again upon his eyes,
and made him look up:
and he was restored,
and saw every man clearly.

and a third teaching, for that time to come
revealed in Johns Revelation
Morning, Buzzard.

I read where a restoration was foretold:

Acts 3:21---King James Version
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

"Reformation" doesn't fit the event, as the Reformers changed the theology of the day--and new denominations were formed.

What was reformed?

The Reformation is an obsession in some circles. As if nothing happened before or after. You can find any sort of reading that suits your taste. If you don't like Calvin or Luther you can without hardly any work find someone who will feed your thirst for deconstruction[1]. I had to write about Calvin in school. Once I was no longer required to read him I stopped reading him. Currently reading Greek Patristics from the beginning down to John of Damascus.

[1] I use this term in the sense that was current 40 years ago in Literary Criticism. I am aware that it has taken on a totally different meaning now.

Last edited:

dberrie2020

The Reformation is an obsession in some circles. As if nothing happened before or after. You can find any sort of reading that suits your taste. If you don't like Calvin or Luther you can without hardly any work find someone who will feed your thirst for deconstruction[1]. I had to write about Calvin in school. Once I was no longer required to read him I stopped reading him. Currently reading Greek Patristics from the beginning down to John of Damascus.

[1] I use this term in the sense that was current 40 years ago in Literary Criticism. I am aware that it has taken on a totally different meaning now.
Morning, Stirling: Thanks for the reply.

You are probably correct. My question is--what do the Lutherans believe was reformed?

Bonnie

If there is only one church, then the conclusion follows that the church was reformed.
The TRUE church is made up of all those who believe in and confesses the true Jesus Christ of the Bible, Him crucified for sinners, and raised from the dead for our justification.

Last edited:

dberrie2020

If there is only one church, then the conclusion follows that the church was reformed.
Could you please identify which church you are referring to? We can identify it in the NT--it was the church founded upon the living, mortal apostles and prophets--Jesus Christ being the Chief Corner Stone. It had a physical existence, in physical locations. They were established by the Lord's chosen apostles.

What church are you claiming was His church in the Reformation--which was reformed?

Bonnie

Could you please identify which church you are referring to? We can identify it in the NT--it was the church founded upon the living, mortal apostles and prophets--Jesus Christ being the Chief Corner Stone. It had a physical existence, in physical locations. They were established by the Lord's chosen apostles.

What church are you claiming was His church in the Reformation--which was reformed?
See my post no. 13.

Bonnie

What did it reform?
It was the RCC that had strayed from orthodoxy to heterodoxy in the 16th century--not the church of the Reformation.

Tertiumquid

There is only one church. it has existed since the beginning of the world and will go on till the end and then into eternity. It is preserved by God, even if it seems at times to be very small or non-existent (as it did during the reign of Ahab). The church is not simply limited to this or that person or place. It has existed and does exist throughout the entire world.

Tertiumquid

The Reformation is an obsession in some circles. As if nothing happened before or after.
I suspect the seeming "obsession" is because it was a crucial time period in regard to the Western Church. I've studied the Reformation period for twenty years, perhaps for the very reason you mention: because of what happened before and after.

Bonnie

I suspect the seeming "obsession" is because it was a crucial time period in regard to the Western Church. I've studied the Reformation period for twenty years, perhaps for the very reason you mention: because of what happened before and after.
I am glad you did, since your Beggar's All blog is a HUGE repository of Reformation information!

1Thess521

are you confusing Kuriakon with Ekklesia ?