Reformed theology--and the Biblical witness

Indeed so, and that phrase "I am he: Before me there was no God formed, Neither shall there be after me." is repeated several times in Scripture. It does not matter to trollish Mormons. They will always ignore an "inconvenient Scripture,

The only thing consistent in their heresy is that they are consistently inconsistent.
It's annoying how they are flouting the rules

Posters did not come to the Calvinist - Arminian board to talk about Mormonism.

There is a forum for that topic and people who want to talk about it

So--why would it be identified as "Baptism"--or why would they have to be led to water--if it wasn't water baptism being referenced?

ST. JUSTIN MARTYR (inter A.D. 148-155)

Whoever is convinced and believes that what they are taught and told by us is the truth, and professes to be able to live accordingly, is instructed to pray and to beseech God in fasting for the remission of their former sins, while we pray and fast with them. Then they are led by us to a place where there is water; and there they are reborn in the same kind of rebirth in which we ourselves were reborn: In the name of God, the Lord and Father of all, and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they receive the washing with water. For Christ said, "Unless you be reborn, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." ...The reason for doing this, we have learned from the Apostles. (The First Apology 61)

The Early Church Fathers did cite John 3 as their reference for their beliefs connecting water baptism and the born again experience, and regeneration. That can easily be shown--as most all Early Church Fathers agreed on that doctrine:

ST. CYPRIAN OF CARTHAGE (c. 200 - 258 A.D.)

Not water baptism

Spiritual baptism

Romans 6:3–6 (LEB)
3 Or do you not know that as many as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so also we may live ⌊a new way of life⌋. 5 For if we have become identified with him in the likeness of his death, certainly also we will be identified with him in the likeness of his resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified together with him, in order that the body of sin may be done away with, that we may no longer be enslaved to sin.

Our union with Christ in his death and his resurection

results in the crucifiction of the old man - death to sin and being raised to new life

These are spiritual realities

No I disagree it says the Holy Spirit came after obeying .

Show me the word "after" in that verse.

Obedience precedes the Spirit.

That's NOT what the verse says.
Show us the word "precedes" in that verse.

Try reading it at face value without the lens of Calvinism .

Try reading it at face value without the lens of "free will".

Objectivity is your friend in Bible interpretation.

You should try it sometime.

Back