Reformed theology--and the Biblical witness

dberrie2020

How does reformed theology comport with the Biblical witness here?

Acts 5:31-32---King James Version
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

IOW--how are those obeying God before they receive of the Holy Ghost?

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Its them who have been given the Holy Ghost that obeys God. The Holy Spirit in them causes the obedience. 1 Pet 1:2

2 elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied

You cant obey without the Spirit, sorry !

Perfectly (since you asked).

Um, nowhere does that verse say "those were obeying God BEFORE they receive of the Holy Ghost".

Show us the word "before" in that verse.
It simply isn't there.
You are simply MISINTERPRETING that verse, and demanding that we blindly accept your misinterpretation.

Its them who have been given the Holy Ghost that obeys God.
That's the claim--here's the reality:

No one is claiming those who have the Holy Ghost don't obey God. But the scriptures testify God gives the Holy Ghost to them which obey Him.

Hoe does Reformed theology fit that testimony?

dberrie

This shows where repentance comes from, its from Christ as Saviour, man doesnt have it by nature. Also this repentance is given to a specific people, not all without exception !

No one is claiming those who have the Holy Ghost don't obey God. But the scriptures testify God gives the Holy Ghost to them which obey Him.

It fits that testimony PERFECTLY.

If you think it doesn't, it's YOUR job to demonstrate HOW.

I explained that to you. Obedience is the fruit of having been given the Spirit, thats who obeys

This shows where repentance comes from, its from Christ as Saviour, man doesnt have it by nature
Hi Bright:

How are you relating this to the testimony God give the Holy Ghost to them which obey Him?

Hi Bright:

How are you relating this to the testimony God give the Holy Ghost to them which obey Him?

Repentance/obedience comes from Christ !

Repentance/obedience comes from Christ !
It's still the obedience of those--which God gives the Holy Ghost to.

Acts 10:34-35---King James Version

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

It's still the obedience of those--which God gives the Holy Ghost to.

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
Yeah the Spirit produces the Obedience. You can tell who has been given the Spirit because they will be obedient .

Yeah the Spirit produces the Obedience. You can tell who has been given the Spirit because they will be obedient .
I'm not arguing those who have the Spirit are obedient--that's an entirely different avenue, IMO.

What the scriptures bear testimony to--it's those which work righteousness and obey God--which are accepted of Him--and whom He gives the Holy Ghost.

Bright--I have fun conversing with you, and I'm not here to say you don't have the right to believe whatever you like. Or to criticize you. I enjoy our conversation--in whatever you want to believe. I'm just providing the scriptures and their testimony. You decide.

I'm not arguing those who have the Spirit are obedient--that's an entirely different avenue, IMO.

What the scriptures bear testimony to--it's those which work righteousness and obey God--which are accepted of Him--and whom He gives the Holy Ghost.

Bright--I have fun conversing with you, and I'm not here to say you don't have the right to believe whatever you like. Or to criticize you. I enjoy our conversation--in whatever you want to believe. I'm just providing the scriptures and their testimony. You decide.
Same thing, they who work righteousness have been given the Spirit.

Same thing, they who work righteousness have been given the Spirit.
Before they were accepted of Christ?

Before they were accepted of Christ?

They always had been accepted of Christ.

They always had been accepted of Christ.
Even before they worked righteousness?

Even before they worked righteousness?

Yes. They're accepted in the beloved before the foundation of the world Eph 1:6

brightfame52 said:
Its them who have been given the Holy Ghost that obeys God. The Holy Spirit in them causes the obedience. 1 Pet 1:2

2 elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied

You cant obey without the Spirit, sorry !

How does Reformed theology fit that testimony?

So--this seems to be the typical position. The scriptures testifying God gives the Holy Ghost to them which obey--and the Reformed insisting that one can't obey until they receive the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:38---King James Version
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

So--
1) Repent
2) Baptism
3) Gift of the Holy Ghost

So--this seems to be the typical position. The scriptures testifying God gives the Holy Ghost to them which obey--and the Reformed insisting that one can't obey until they receive the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:38---King James Version
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

So--
1) Repent
2) Baptism
3) Gift of the Holy Ghost
Yes God gave the holy ghost first and he pricked their hearts vs 37

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

The Holy Spirit did this work in them inwardly first then they were obedience. It's the same as stated in Acts 5:32

Back