Regeneration as new life revisited

T

TomFL

regeneration as new life

Not that Calvinist should deny it for they claim men are dead and therefore he cannot believe

And that he first must be made alive by regeneration so he might believe

So It’s rather odd that any should therefore deny that regeneration is new life

But here are the theologies many of them Calvinist post for the sole purpose

To identify regeneration with impartation of new life

New Birth Page 558

But, given the universality of the need for the new birth, it can be argued that Jesus’ teaching on the absolute necessity of the new birth for entrance into the kingdom of God analogically demands that Old Testament believers also had to have the divine life imparted to them through God’s Spirit.

Carl B. Hoch Jr., “New Birth,” in Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology, electronic ed., Baker reference library (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1996), 558.

New Birth Page 446

Peter portrayed the beginning of the Christian life as a birth from God, using the verb “to beget again, cause to be born again” (anagennaō).

Biblical theology of the New Testament

Roy B. Zuck, A Biblical Theology of the New Testament, electronic ed. (Chicago: Moody Press, 1994), (Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1999), 376.446.

A. The Meaning of Regeneration

The word, used only twice in the New Testament (Matt. 19:28; Titus 3:5), means to be born again. To be born from above (anothen) occurs in John 3:3 and probably includes the idea of being born again also (see the use of anothen in Gal. 4:9). It is the work of God that gives new life to the one who believes.

Ryrie Basic Theology

Charles Caldwell Ryrie, Basic Theology: A Popular Systematic Guide to Understanding Biblical Truth (Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1999), 376.

In the new birth alone is the beginning of such a life to be found. To live the life of God we must have the nature of God. Great doctrines of the bible

William Evans and S. Maxwell Coder, The Great Doctrines of the Bible, Enl. ed. (Chicago: Moody Press, 1974), 154.

Regeneration may be defined as the communication of divine life to the soul … as the impartation of a new nature … or heart … and the production of a new creation.

Paul P. Enns, The Moody Handbook of Theology (Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1989), 338.

personal regeneration

Descriptions of
♦ new heart: De 30:6; Je 24:7; 31:33; Eze 11:19–20; 36:26–27 ♦ new birth: Jn 1:13; 3:3–8; Jam 1:18; 1 Pe 1:3, 23; 1 Jo 2:29; 3:9; 4:7; 5:1 ♦ spiritual death and resurrection: Ro 6:4–8; Ga 2:20; Eph 2:1, 5, 10; Col 2:12–13 ♦ new life: Eze 37:5, 14 ♦ new creation: 2 Co 5:17; Ga 6:15; Eph 4:22–24; Col 3:9–10; Tit 3:5: agent of—the Spirit: Eze 36:26, 27; Jn 3:5–8; Tit 3:5: instrument of—the Word: Jam 1:18; 1 Pe 1:23

NASB topical Index

The NASB Topical Index, electronic ed. (La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1992).

In this sense of the word regeneration may be defined as that act of God by which the principle of the new life is implanted in man, and the governing disposition of the soul is made holy.

Manual of Christian Doctrine

L. Berkhof, Manual of Christian Doctrine (Grand Rapids, MI: WM. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1933), 236.

regeneration

§ 1. Usage of the Word

The subjective change wrought in the soul by the grace of God, is variously designated in Scripture. It is called a new birth, a resurrection, a new life, a new creature,

Charles Hodge, Systematic Theology, vol. 3 (Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997), 3.

Regeneration

What does it mean to be born again?

EXPLANATION AND SCRIPTURAL BASIS

We may define regeneration as follows: Regeneration is a secret act of God in which he imparts new spiritual life to us. This is sometimes called “being born again” (using language from John 3:3–8). Gruden’s Systematic Theogy

Wayne A. Grudem, Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine (Leicester, England; Grand Rapids, MI: Inter-Varsity Press; Zondervan Pub. House, 2004), 699.

Regeneration, that mighty transformation of the soul out of a state of depravity into a true spiritual life, is the work of the Spirit. Miley Systematic theology

John Miley, Systematic Theology, Volume 1 (New York: Hunt & Eaton, 1892), 264.

Regeneration is a Spiritual Quickening, a New Birth.

Regeneration is the impartation of a new and divine life; a new creation; the production of a new thing. It is Gen. 1:26 over again. It is not the old nature altered, reformed, or re—invigorated, but a new birth from above. This is the teaching of such passages as John 3:3–7;5:21;Eph 2:1, 10; 2Cor 5:17.

By nature man is dead in sin (Eph. 2:1); the new birth imparts to him new life—the life of God, so that henceforth he is as those that are alive from the dead; he has passed out of death into life (John 5:24). Great Doctrines of the Bible

William Evans and S. Maxwell Coder, The Great Doctrines of the Bible, Enl. ed. (Chicago: Moody Press, 1974), 152.

Dichometry vs. Trichometry Page 954

For some trichotomists, the soul includes the emotions, intellect, and will, while the spirit refers to that part of man’s constitution, made alive at regeneration, that has the capacity to relate to God. Shedd is a dichotomist because he regards man as metaphysically twofold, though the soul has both lower and higher functions.

William Greenough Thayer Shedd, Dogmatic Theology, ed. Alan W. Gomes, 3rd ed. (Phillipsburg, NJ: P & R Pub., 2003), 954–958.

The Bible show Life is given upon faith

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toms comment

No it doesnt. Faith comes with new life given, its a fruit of the Spirit. Gal 5:22

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
You ignored this

just as you ignore the fruit of the spirit is given only to the saved

Galatians 5:13-25 (KJV)
13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Your theology remains unbiblical

as you ignore scripture, definition and even Calvinist theologies

Déjà vu

See Ephesians 2 and Colossians 2 . When we were DEAD is sin, God made us alive.

Dead means unable to respond to stimuli. Dead is the opposite of Alive.

So when we were unable to respond to God because we were dead in our sins , God made us alive.

No faith involved until after regeneration, not before.

Just another thread putting the cart before the horse.

hope this helps !!!

Déjà vu

See Ephesians 2 and Colossians 2 . When we were DEAD is sin, God made us alive.

Dead means unable to respond to stimuli. Dead is the opposite of Alive.

So when we were unable to respond to God because we were dead in our sins , God made us alive.

No faith involved until after regeneration, not before.

Just another thread putting the cart before the horse.

hope this helps !!!
Already shown multiple times it does not help your position

First we note

Colossians 2:11-13 (KJV)
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

1) Faith appears in verse 12 being raised speaks of spiritual resurrection

2 Being made alive is preceded by having your sins forgiven

Without faith sins are not forgiven

then we note

Ephesians 2:5-8 (KJV)
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

being quickened is to be saved verse 5

salvation is through grace in verse 8 and everywhere

Nothing in either verse supports your claim

finally the spiritually dead respond to stimuli even in Calvinism

They suppress truth, they sin, they reject, they hate

Something a dead man cannot do

and according to scripture they believe and repent

John 5:24-25 (KJV)
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John 5:40 (KJV)
40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

John 6:53 (KJV)
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

John 20:31 (KJV)
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Acts 11:18 (KJV)
18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

which shows you have based your claims on a false understanding of spiritual death

The prodigal son was dead relationally to his father

Luke 15:24 (KJV)
24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

yet he came to his senses and returned home

The church at Sardis was dead yet

Revelation 3:1-3 (KJV)
1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

They were told to repent

In both cases there is a separation because of rebellion

Which we read of here

Isaiah 59:2 (NIV84)
2 But your iniquities have separated
you from your God;

your sins have hidden his face from you,
so that he will not hear.

Spiritual death is separation from God

As we see in Ephesians

They were dead in their sins

that is they were separated from God due to their sin

Ephesians 2:12-20 (KJV)
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

It is an error to select a definition from lexicons without regard to scriptural context

The scriptural context refutes you claim

No Eph 2 and Col 2 supports my claim regarding the dead and that they are INCPABLE of responding. Dead means unable to respond. Hence the necessity of NEW LIFE- to be made alive as the TEXT's say prior to faith.

The text speaks for itself. Unlike you I don't have to redefine dead to mean alive and responsive.

next...............................................

Actually the scriptural context shows you just sellected a lexical defeinition without regard to context

no dead has one meaning.

cannot respond to stimuli- a corpse.

the spiritual dead are in the same boat spiritually and the physically dead are naturally. In both cases they CANNOT respond.

end of discussion.

no dead has one meaning.

cannot respond to stimuli- a corpse.

the spiritual dead are in the same boat spiritually and the physically dead are naturally. In both cases they CANNOT respond.

end of discussion.
Sorry it was proven through scripture that is not the case

Dead men believed and were made alive

dead men repented and were made alive

The prodigal son came to his senses returned to the father and was then alive to his Father wherefore before he was dead to him

Scripture shows spiritual death is separation from God due to rebellion

Its remedy is faith

The church ar sardid though dead was told to repent

k

Ezekiel 36:27 refutes everything the humanist is saying. A new heart precedes the ability to obey God's commands, statutes, or decrees.
Afraid not

Obedience to live a life for God is not speaking of saving faith

which is not mentioned anywhere in the passage so you argue from silence

However

One is not born again as a child of God without faith in Christ

John 1:12 (KJV)
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

without faith in the gospel

James 1:18 —KJV
“Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.”

1 Cor. 4:15 —KJV
“For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.”

1 Peter 1:23 (KJV 1900)
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

which must be believed to profit

Hebrews 4:2 (KJV 1900)
2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

finally you did not address this

edit spammed link

Last edited by a moderator:
You ignored this

13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Nothing is ignored save your spam !

Ezekiel 36:27 refutes everything the humanist is saying. A new heart precedes the ability to obey God's commands, statutes, or decrees.
Amen and a New Spirit and the Holy Spirit, which I believe denotes the New Birth Ezk 36:26

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Ezekiel 36 NASB

22. “Therefore say to the Israelites, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: It is not for your sake, people of Israel, that I am going to do these things, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you have gone.

23. I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the Lord, declares the Sovereign Lord, when I am proved holy through you before their eyes.

24. “‘For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land.
25. I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols.
26. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.
27. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

28. Then you will live in the land I gave your ancestors; you will be my people, and I will be your God.

31. Then you will remember your evil ways and wicked deeds, and you will loathe yourselves for your sins and detestable practices.

32. I want you to know that I am not doing this for your sake, declares the Sovereign Lord. Be ashamed and disgraced for your conduct, people of Israel!

36 .Then the nations around you that remain will know that I the Lord have rebuilt what was destroyed and have replanted what was desolate. I the Lord have spoken, and I will do it.’

37. “This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Once again I will yield to Israel’s plea and do this for them: I will make their people as numerous as sheep,
38. as numerous as the flocks for offerings at Jerusalem during her appointed festivals. So will the ruined cities be filled with flocks of people.
Then they will know that I am the Lord.”

God does it all and says , "I am going to do these things, but for the sake of my holy name, "I want you to know that I am not doing this for your sake, declares the Sovereign Lord. Be ashamed and disgraced for your conduct, people of Israel!"

He has never forsaken Israel. Israel has left Him. And paid dearly for it.
No wonder there is Scripture that says we Gentiles will try to hang onto the coat tail of a Jew later. Praise God that He always keeps promises and not like man does.

Add my thumbs up to let the thread die. It has been proven by Scripture the point that God does it all and not man.

Nothing is ignored save your spam !
Sorry you ignored everything including theologies from your peers

You ignored this

Regeneration as new life revisited

regeneration as new life Not that Calvinist should deny it for they claim men are dead and therefore he cannot believe And that he first must be made alive by regeneration so he might believe So It’s rather odd that any should therefore deny that regeneration is new life But here are the...
forums.carm.org

A wise man once likened it to a bullet going through wood... which is first the hole or the bullet?

Back