Regeneration as new life revisited

If you are a Calvinist the answer logically is no

Calvinist or not we are commanded to pray for all men
Jesus prayed for the Father to "forgive them for they know not what they do". (Luke 23:34)

Did those opposers ever hear the word? It seems they ought to have. But apparently they didn't? Or did they?

How does Jesus' prayer affect them?

Jesus prayed for the Father to "forgive them for they know not what they do". (Luke 23:34)

Did those opposers ever hear the word? It seems they ought to have. But apparently they didn't? Or did they?

How does Jesus' prayer affect them?
Actually some did come to faith

Acts 2:37-41 (KJV)
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Actually some did come to faith

Acts 2:37-41 (KJV)
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Did the rest hear and understand but reject it?

Did the rest hear and understand but reject it?
The bible does not say at that point

later

Acts 28:27 (KJV)
27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

we see some remain self hardened

The bible does not say at that point

later

27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

we see some remain self hardened
Is the choice of whether one hears the word .. libertarian?

What do you mean by hears

If you mean believe yes
I mean does he hear some it but then close his ears to the rest so that he doesn't hear enough to believe?

The Scripture says they closed their eyes *lest* they should see/hear and understand or even know what to put faith in.

I mean does he hear some it but then close his ears to the rest so that he doesn't hear enough to believe?

The Scripture says they closed their eyes *lest* they should see/hear and understand or even know what to put faith in.

Yes they closed their eyes

They did it through constant rejection of truth

So would you say their eyes were open at one time and had in heard and rejected the truth at the time?

Acts 28:27 (ESV)
27 For this people’s heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed; lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and turn, and I would heal them.’

that is clearly speaking of a dullness which happened in time

Acts 28:27 (ESV)
27 For this people’s heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed; lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and turn, and I would heal them.’

that is clearly speaking of a dullness which happened in time
Does this mean dull in time after hearing and rejecting? ... or after preventing themselves from hearing?

Does this mean dull in time after hearing and rejecting? ... or after preventing themselves from hearing?
A dullness in time after hearing and rejecting

The rejection of spiritual truth does not leave one unchanged nor does siny

Does someone who heard and rejected truth and become dull still have a chance to be saved later?
Yes

Romans 11:14 (KJV)
14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

Romans 11:23 (KJV)
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.

Saying, "sorry no," is not a refutation. 😉
This is

John 7:38–39 (KJV 1900)
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Galatians 3:2 (KJV 1900)
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 3:5 (KJV 1900)
5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 3:14 (KJV 1900)
14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Acts 2:38 (KJV 1900)

Ephesians 3:17 (KJV 1900)
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Unbelievers do not receive the spirit

Back