Reincarnation

rossum

Why would one want to be enlightened?
[The Buddha said:] "What do you think, monks: Which is greater, the tears you have shed while transmigrating and wandering this long, long time -- crying and weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing -- or the water in the four great oceans?"

"As we understand the Dhamma taught to us by the Blessed One, this is the greater: the tears we have shed while transmigrating and wandering this long, long time -- crying and weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing -- not the water in the four great oceans."

"Excellent, monks. Excellent. It is excellent that you thus understand the Dhamma taught by me.

"This is the greater: the tears you have shed while transmigrating and wandering this long, long time -- crying and weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing -- not the water in the four great oceans."

-- Assu sutta, Samyutta Nikaya 15.3

What heavens?
See The Thirty-one Planes of Existence. The various heavens are numbers 6 to 31.

CrowCross

[The Buddha said:] "What do you think, monks: Which is greater, the tears you have shed while transmigrating and wandering this long, long time -- crying and weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing -- or the water in the four great oceans?"

"As we understand the Dhamma taught to us by the Blessed One, this is the greater: the tears we have shed while transmigrating and wandering this long, long time -- crying and weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing -- not the water in the four great oceans."

"Excellent, monks. Excellent. It is excellent that you thus understand the Dhamma taught by me.

"This is the greater: the tears you have shed while transmigrating and wandering this long, long time -- crying and weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing -- not the water in the four great oceans."

-- Assu sutta, Samyutta Nikaya 15.3

See The Thirty-one Planes of Existence. The various heavens are numbers 6 to 31.
Transmigrating?? Tears?

Strange it is.

Authentic Nouveau

When you die....what, who...sends you back?
So they claim all life came from a previous life. That trips the fail wire because "once upon a time" there was a first life. It didn't come from a previous life. When there were 2 living organism they require 2 previous sources.

Buddhist s are irrational.

Faithoverbelief

So they claim all life came from a previous life. That trips the fail wire because "once upon a time" there was a first life. It didn't come from a previous life. When there were 2 living organism they require 2 previous sources.

Buddhist s are irrational.
That would be incorrect. There is only one event.

CrowCross

Do you cry when your friends or relatives die? Then you get born again and a new set of friends and relatives die. Repeat, repeat, repeat... until you have filled an ocean with your tears.
So you believe you can literally cry enough in all your lives to fill an ocean with your tears?

Faithoverbelief

Which one represents Buddha?
Could be either organic or possibly dramatic. I have faith in a combination of the two. This is why you keep saying there must be a cause. I know that is not your exact quote but you catch my drift. Organic model is there is only one event the universe is organic. Most atheists go with automatic model. That is same as ceramic but no creator just dumb energy.

CrowCross

Could be either organic or possibly dramatic. I have faith in a combination of the two. This is why you keep saying there must be a cause. I know that is not your exact quote but you catch my drift. Organic model is there is only one event the universe is organic. Most atheists go with automatic model. That is same as ceramic but no creator just dumb energy.
I'm not sure I get the one event scenario. Wht is the event?